Gearbox tempreture | FerrariChat

Gearbox tempreture

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by dersark_painclinic, Oct 28, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dersark_painclinic

dersark_painclinic Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    I always changed gearbox oil after driving and warming up the car befor draining the fluid. Sometimes when read the manual you gets more confused as happen to me this time. The WSM says run the engine for five minuets to allow gearbox oil to reach tempreture 185-190 to allow oil enter into oil cooling system. Even after running 15 minuets the gearbox housing is still cold. To my knowldge there is no tempreture gauge on my care for transmission,. The car is already on lift and I don't want to move. Thanks for any information.

2. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Sark, the oil circuit for the gearbox is separate from the engine, and I don't think you're going to get much heat into the gearbox by just running the engine. Even in neutral, only the input shaft to the 'box will be turning, but none of the other gears.

If you have the car on a frame lift, go ahead & run it through the gears a few times and see if the 'box doesn't heat up. Obviously you can't do this if it's on a drive-on lift.

Also warn any bystanders not to get near, as the rear wheels will be spinning.......

3. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I doubt there is a thermostat for the gearbox oil... but how can the oil travel all the way up to the left wing mounted cooler if there is no check valve on the lines...? Never thought about it before... anyone know this? Taz? Dave? :) Thanks. I woyld guess a food houre drive is what is needed to get the oil to full working temperature..?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

4. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

F456M, the gearbox oil and its cooler are completely separate from the engine oil cooler. The gearbox oil cooler is mounted in the left rear fender well. Sark might be able to get it heated up a bit if his car is on a frame lift and he can start the engine & run it through the gears for awhile, but otherwise he's going to have to drive it and put some load on the system. Have a look at this illustration from Ricambi's site and you'll see what I mean:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Luckily for us V12 owners, no intercooler using coolant like there is on the 360. On the Maranellos, the vent on the starboard rear fender feeds the oil cooler outside air.

6. dersark_painclinic

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    Taz, John this is another Italian to English translation error. The WSM states after operating engine for 5 miniuts the oil tempreture reaches 180-190 F the densimetric valve opens and allow oil circulates. In reality it should be after warming up the gearbox by driving around or as John referred to running on lift to warm up the gearbox oil the mechanical valve inside the box ( densimetric valve) triggered by lower density oil as heated and that opens the valve to send the gear oil to radiator for cooling.

7. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    Like you said, it is better to warm transmission oil up in order to change it. It gets all the particulate matter into suspension and drains out quicker. If you already have the car on the lift, you can run it for a few minutes to get the particulate matter into suspension and then drain it out. It doesn't really matter that it is not warm, it will just take longer to drain out. You can let it drain out overnight and it will be the same as if you got it hot before draining it.
    You never really get out all of the oil during a change anyway, there is always residual oil in the housing/cooler/hoses, which is why it is good to change it at regular intervals before it turns black.

8. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Sark- Luckily now our V12s have thermostats or equivalent to control oil cooling in the dry sumps and transaxles. In the olden days, my Daytona did not and it was almost impossible to get the oil temperature up with normal driving in relatively cool weather (no transaxle cooler for the Daytona that I remember). Like our pro said, most important to get everything stirred up and be patient.

9. dersark_painclinic

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    Terry, in my heydays we used to remove the thermostats in summer to prevent overheating. Things changed.

10. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Sark- I never had any problems with overheating in my three earlier Ferraris, probably helped by the fact they were not very old when I got them. I remember the SOHC Ferraris were not too good about keeping cool in traffic.