Gearbox whine but trouble finding the issue. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Gearbox whine but trouble finding the issue.

Discussion in '348/355' started by FSM348, Oct 10, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I have had no difficulty taking the diff out and its covers. In fact we did it on fchat and rebuilt E's diff. It may have been in a thread "ernie's difficulties". I say if the gears mate up and pass the prussian blue test you are good to go. A bearing may not look worn but when you stack up all the clearances over a row of bearings it all adds up. That's why can put sandpaper between a whole row of your kid's teeth and make space for everything to come into alignment.

2. FSM348

FSM348 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2017
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Dan Smith
    Well, so I played with mock up spacers for the diff. Sliding the diff laterally side to side made no difference in mesh of the gears. The play seams to be that the bevel gear needs to move downwards towards the mating gear so that there is no play between the gears. I, however, do not see how there could be any adjustment for this type of movement. The play really does not seam excessive between bevel and mating gear other than there is a very small nick on the outside edge of the face of each tooth on the bevel gear (only on one side of each tooth so this is directional contact at work). However, after really cleaning the mating gear I see very slight wear on the face of each tooth corresponding to the marks on the bevel gear but there are no marks on the mating gear other than that slight bit of wear.

Could a bearing really cause the bevel gear to "rise" upward away from the mating gear? I can only see how a worn bearing would do just as you previously said and affect laterally tolerance which doesn't seam to be the issue I currently have. I don't have a lot of experience with diffs so it's entirely possible the play is actually fine and some other issue is at work.

3. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    If the bearing is worn it can allow the gear to move. As force is applied, from one tooth to another, the pressure will cause the gear to slide up until there is no more movement available in the bearing. Then when there isn't a load on the gear the teeth will slide back down and fully mesh the gears together. The more it slides, the more it wears. You can have everything on gorilla tight, but it won't matter if the bearing/s are worn because they allow the movement.

4. FSM348

FSM348 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2017
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Dan Smith
    After an appointment in the morning, I'm going to get the gearbox back in the car. I'm not sure how, but after cleaning the CV flanges, pulling the bearing cups out, inspecting the tapered carrier bearings, cleaning everything and then reassembling the unit there is now zero play. Actually, it requires a little bit of force to rotate the bevel gears now but before it would rotate with very little force necessary.

I'm curious if it is normal for the bevel gear to require a bit of force to rotate it against the mating gear? Is it possible that there is now not enough tolerance between the two? Also, any ideas as to how a minor disassembly could make such a drastic difference? Perhaps one of the CV flange center bolts was loose?

5. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    So many answers if E or I where there seeing what was going on. I would not stress about it. Gears pass mating test seal it up and run it. I vote for less wrenching and more driving.

6. FSM348

FSM348 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2017
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Dan Smith
    Amen brother! I should have an update later tomorrow after going for a drive.

7. FSM348

FSM348 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2017
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Dan Smith
    Quick question. I tightened the ringnut for the flywheel and installed the whole pumpkin assembly as one whole unit. Then, I tightened down the grub screw into the flywheel ringnut after install. Is this correct? I've read a few different threads and there are many opinions on the ringnut/grub screw procedure.

8. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Yes.

The "grub screw" is nothing more than a locking screw to help keep the ring nut from moving. At least that's how see it.

9. FSM348

FSM348 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2017
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Dan Smith
    The clutch flex line stripped so I had to have Earls make a new one for me. I've got it all back together other than the shift cable junction just in front of the gearbox. It was installed incorrectly prior to me purchasing the car and now I've got to adjust the cable-to-clevis points and tighten those nuts up. Then should be all good to do for driving tomorrow and Saturday.

I've got the original cats that have been hollowed out that are free to whomever may want them.

10. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    I'll come get them from you.

11. FSM348

FSM348 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2017
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Dan Smith
    Sounds good Ernie!

12. FSM348

FSM348 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2017
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Dan Smith
    Went out for a drive today after Ernie assisted in getting the shift cables adjusted and looking over the car. When coming to a stop the car still makes a whining noise on deceleration although it sounds a little different. The noise goes away as soon as I press the clutch pedal in so I'm thinking the main issue now is the throw out bearing. The shifting is better than it has ever been after adjusting the cables and I'm not going to worry about the whining noise until after I do the engine out this winter and I will replace the TOB at that time.

13. FSM348

FSM348 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2017
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Dan Smith
    Car is driving great but I'm going to park it for the season. After really giving it some thought, my issue can't be the throw out bearing. I'm leaning towards a bearing on the main shaft. I looked them over and all appear fine but I think I will go ahead and wait to pull the engine and go through the gearbox over the winter with a little bit more thoroughness. Time will be on my side!

14. FSM348

FSM348 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2017
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Dan Smith
    Okay, fingers crossed but I'm going to give it one more go tomorrow. The gearbox oil level was just over the minimum mark at about 1/3 the way between min and max level. So I added about almost a quart of Red Line NS and will take her for a spin in the morning to see if perhaps the oil level in the gearbox might be a little low??? If not then I will take a stethoscope to the gearbox to see where the whine is originating to give me a direction during the winter on the engine out service. I also replaced the ignition coils with new Bosch units to verify compatibility. Will update tomorrow.

15. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    What does E say about the whine?

16. FSM348

FSM348 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2017
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Dan Smith
    He heard it while driving behind me just not sure what it is exactly. I put the rear up on jack stands and had my brother go through gears at around 2k-2500 rpm and there was absolutely no noises coming from the gearbox using a mechanics stethoscope. It is RPM dependent and appears to need to be under load. I had thought about perhaps a pulley but that shouldn't require a load if that was the case. I'm completely stumped.

17. FSM348

FSM348 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2017
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Dan Smith
  18. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I am ni gear exprt but that looks damaged not just worn

19. FSM348

FSM348 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2017
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Dan Smith
    Yup, anybody know of any ring and pinion sets for sale?

20. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Is that just the look or are the mating surfaces physically damaged? Unsure? Get ernie to look at it assuming you guys still live close

21. FSM348

FSM348 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2017
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Dan Smith
  22. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    New or old? New ones are out there, but definitely not cheap. My Ferrari mechanic bought 3 new pinion sets and a main shaft for my car a few months ago. I've seen FChat posts about gear manufacturing companies in Germany and Australia (but I'm not sure if they do 355 gears). The German company Formula GT stopped doing 355 (better than original) shafts recently, unfortunately.

http://www.formulagt.de/showroom/parts

http://www.modenaengineering.com.au/

https://hcfautoparts.com/ferrari

23. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Very difficult for me to tell much from those pics but my they don't look horrible to me. If I'm reading the pics right it looks as though the engagement was incorrect. I wonder how they'd do if the gears were properly set up. IMO, this decision is something best left to a very experienced pro who has examined the gears in person.

Pangea likes this.
  24. Cauf61

Cauf61 Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2016
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Ernie you are 100 % correct.Grub screw has nothing to do with alignment or balance or anything like that.

The 200nm and the 70nm from both are added together to make a very high tightening torque.
    Some F chatter has made a little study of it.

25. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Dan,

Are you sure? REM is for after you got the box set-up and dialed in. The you take it down to pieces and they REM it. It really isn't a polish which removes material. It is like a chemical micro-polish which will have zero effect without tools to measure things like lower gear oil temp and reduced gear friction and noise. If you got an obvious whine REM isn't going to help that. Blue the gears, search for the problem and shim the box accordingly. Meat missing on gears means you need new gears. However, I have worked on some pretty sad boxes even with chipped teeth and mating surface voids and those boxes ran fine.