Get rid of 911, Daily drive 458 | FerrariChat

Get rid of 911, Daily drive 458

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by SVanDyck, Sep 21, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SVanDyck

SVanDyck Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2021
    Full Name:
    Joe Michaels
    Long story short. Bought 992 as daily driver. Part of me would like to sell the 992 and just make the 458 my daily driver.

I know there’s a bunch of these threads and the consensus is yes it’s possible to daily drive the 458.

Part of me just wants to sell the 992 to get the cash back. I can afford both cars but it seems silly to buy a more practical sports car to avoid driving my Ferrari.

I think one of the biggest downsides is I will have to keep the Ferrari at my high rise. Eventually someone is going to park close to it.

Then there are the rainy days. Do I drive it then. My previous set up was a Bronco and the 458. However, I sold the bronco and then bought a 911.

I know putting a bunch of mikes on the Ferrari will lower its value, but I really don’t care about that.

2. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    I see how they are both kinda similar cars and I would still be uncomfortable taking a 911 some places as well. I'd ditch the 911 and get a true rainy day car, maybe something easier to park and drive in the city like a "hot hatch" or smaller Audi or BMW. Even the smaller Lotus have less overhang so they're easier when confronted with a steep driveway transition. When I need to go downtown I steal my son's Mini :)

3. jagged155

jagged155 Karting

Dec 3, 2016
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Dan
    If it wasn’t for the approach/departure angles I think it would be a surprisingly good daily. And with how wide the doors open, it forces you to park away from other cars - avoiding damage. Ferrari as a daily is special regardless.

4. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Brother I drive my car in the snow. Just keep it in wet mode and you’re fine. It ain’t no rally car, but there’s no issues driving it in any conditions that you can drive a Camry in.

Rule of thumb: if Camrys are on the road in the snow, then your Ferrari should be too.

Go forth and enjoy your ownership experience, I sure am.

3POINT8, Rexcat458, Bas and 1 other person like this.
  5. I daily a Pista.

For what it's worth.

6. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Keep them both. Decide which to drive that morning depending on mood, not weekday vs weekend. If after 6 months you find 911 to be superfluous then sell it. If you find the 458 to be a bit of a chore weighing on your mind when parked up somewhere...drive it more for special occasions.

Rexcat458 likes this.
  7. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #7 Ash Patel, Sep 22, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2022
    The only down side is putting on mileage as Ferrari as a brand is the most sesitive to this I have ever came across any brand so far. After certain miles it seems buyers and dealers think the car will fall apart and so the value with it (which is off course just bs) :)

Therefore I actually daily my Superleggera more then the 458 which has gained in value even after putting plenty of miles on it --> 44000 miles and couting :) It has even gained more than the 458 but is also has a lot to do with the timing as I bought the Leggera in the beginning of the pandemic where everything just fell in price.

As for practicality the 458 wins hans down, one of the biggest front trunks I have seen, super comfy with wet mode or bumpy road setting, not to wide or low to park up on tight spaces, with a Aventador there is a whole different story of how you need to plan your trips but the 458s format and ground clearance makes it very easy to daily.

Rexcat458 likes this.
  8. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Do you have a reasonably secure place to park at work? If so, I'd buy a cheap used SUV for inclement weather days, airport & Home Depot runs, 458 is getting service, etc. - sell the 992 and daily the 458.

T

Rexcat458 likes this.
  9. mbovaird

mbovaird Rookie

Jul 6, 2015
    I was in the EXACT same boat. Sold my 911 992 C2S cab two weeks ago. Driving my 458 Spider everywhere. Now I suffer from Perma-Grin.

For Home Depot runs, etc., I have a Ram truck. It’s big, horrific on gas and I don’t like driving it. Only when necessary. But still necessary. Get a little Tacoma for bad weather days and hauling stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

tomc, Rexcat458 and Ash Patel like this.
  10. pninja005

pninja005 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2010
    Europe
    I daily my F8 April to October. I don't like driving it in hard rain but other than that it's perfect.

Note you really get used to it; so, taking "another" car feels weird afterwards.

430jm and ryalex like this.
  11. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #11 Rexcat458, Sep 22, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2022
    Hello,

I daily drive my 458 Italia and I have done so for almost three years. I have driven it extensively in rain and even *hard* pouring rain (wet mode) as well.

I do take some precautions like looking for optimal parking spots, arriving at businesses at non-peak times (if possible) and looking for less crowded floors in multi-level car parks.

I have seen some blokes with exotics use soft flexible “door ding guards” on the sides of their cars in multi-level car parks. I noticed a sweet Lambo with them on it at my wife’s office car park a few weeks ago.

They might be an option to prevent door dings at your high rise. They attach temporarily to the window glass when parked and drop down a bit to absorb impacts from other car doors. When you’re ready to go, they can be stored in the frunk.

We do have an old Honda van for box store runs that we use for hauling 2x4’s, concrete and sheetrock, etc (we are remodelling our home).

The 458 is an awesome ride and the “smiles per mile” factor is off the charts. I look forward to every push of the big red “Start” button…

Cheers!

ryalex likes this.
  12. john.b

john.b Rookie

Sep 22, 2022
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    john bloom
    Honestly it feels more roomy in the 458 , the Porsche is a good all rounder but you cant beat that sound of the V8 .

430jm and Rexcat458 like this.
  13. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    I am in the same situation but with a 997s. I keep going back and forth whether to take the plunge and daily the 458. I love the 997s though. It's manual, a smaller car and has a ton of personality. I drive it in all conditions rain, snow, whatever. It does not get much attention and when it does its people that think the car is iconic and cool. With the 458 you get a ton of attention but more of the annoying kind like what do you do for a living ,how much does it cost, how fast does it go, etc. And its more stressful to drive in that it feels the car wants to treat every road like Laguna Seca. So I have feel into a pattern of driving the 911 M-T and the 458 F-S. This is regardless of the weather. Props to you if you make the plunge and daily the 458. Life is short.

14. todd cloud

todd cloud Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Both are solid daily drivers, with the 911 having an edge in comfort.
    On days I don't want any undue attention I take the 911.

15. todd cloud

todd cloud Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Todd
    most of the attention in the 458 is nice
    some of it is not

16. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I did while I had mine, it was fantastic. I'd just have a utilitarian vehicle for occasional hauling stuff, 2+ people, or inclement weather.

PPF or wrap your car and sleep easy.

17. 430jm

430jm Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2017
    Atlanta
    I found my 911s to be cramped and they literally shook the fillings from my teeth. 458 much much better.

Rexcat458 likes this.
  18. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Especially that V8 :)

Rexcat458 and john.b like this.
  19. The biggest benefit of daily'ing a 458 over a 911?

No dead batteries.

Ash Patel, Rexcat458 and RoadRonin like this.