Getting an import TR through Cali emissions, is it possible? | FerrariChat

Getting an import TR through Cali emissions, is it possible?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by c4b4the04, Jan 9, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    My car was imported in the 80s and Federalized. Much of that garbage (the door buzzer that screams when the dome light comes on and double front turn signal lights?!) has been removed but the sticker is still there. Mind you, no emissions sticker but a Federalization tag.

What all would be part of a real Cali inspection on these cars? I'd be going for Collector car status I think (35 years old this year)

The Euro cars have a venting gas tank, easy enough to close that off.

They do not have cats, 02 sensors in the exhaust. They also do not have air pumps.

My car did come with a federalized sticker and remnants of emissions devices. I could easily enough hook an air pump up and swap back to stock exhaust for that, but my question is how well does the TR actually do with running cleanly? Can the car pass smog on its own?

The other part of my question is aimed at any California owners... any of you ever had a federalized car (like a Boxer) that got through the system? I'm assuming anything is possible but maybe not?

Thanks for any insight!

2. kartboy1234

kartboy1234 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    My US TR with high flow cats and precats passes smog just fine. Passes with flying colors. So if CA doesn't have an issue with the euro import status and you can show it's been federalized, and add cats and get it to actually pass smog then I'd think you'd be good to go.

My inspection did not see my smog pump because the car is too low, he couldn't check evap because the gas cap has different threads. So basically if it can actually pass the smog you'd probably be fine. If it won't pass, register it under a Montana LLC

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

EZORED and c4b4the04 like this.
  3. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Sound like a good reason to move to Texas!!!

turbo-joe likes this.
  4. kartboy1234

kartboy1234 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    My car passes fine, so I'll stick to CA.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

raysur likes this.
  5. raysur

raysur Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2008
    So. Cal.
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    You can pass a Testarossa with just the main cats. No pre cats needed. It is super close, numbers wise, but achievable.