Ghibli 510bhp? | FerrariChat

Ghibli 510bhp?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by scuderia92, Dec 16, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. scuderia92

scuderia92 Formula Junior

May 23, 2013
    I was wondering, with the announcement of the Giulia QV with 510 bhp the Ghibli seems a bit underpowered. Does anybody know if there will be a 510 bhp (or more) version?

2. cardog

cardog Karting

Apr 23, 2012
    Beacon, NY 12508
    Full Name:
    Chris Ungaro
    I would guess more actually. But that's just my guess.

3. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    It's going to need extra HP as it weighs 500lbs more than the Giulia.

4. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Never thought I would see the day when 510hp was considered underpowered.

5. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    +1 It's also odd that there are so many 350+ and 400+ HP cars out on the road, far more than these 500+ monsters. Especially given the enormous and omnipresent push for reduced carbon emissions. A bit schizophrenic.

6. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Very true, but they would not need so much hp if Maserati put their new cars on a diet. 4000lbs for the "smaller" sports sedan in this day and age of high tech materials is a joke.

7. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Weighs the same as the equivalent Audi A6

2015 Audi A6 3.0T Prestige quattro Features & Specs | Edmunds

Remember they're delivering a set of features and equipment at a price that won't allow the use of the absolute cutting edge materials and technology. It's not meant to be a Ferrari.

My Jag weighs the same amount and has a 400HP supercharged engine. I don't feel inadequate when I'm driving it at all. Faster than most. I don't drag race with AMG or top of the line Audis, BMWs or Maseratis either. It really isn't about need except in the HP wars which raging at the moment! :D Amazing times.

8. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Three wrongs don't make a right. They all need to lower their car weights. The Italians were always good at making light cars. They forgot all about that chasing the German and Japanese tank cars along with everybody else. This could be their secret weapon if they did it. The Americans started it I guess back years ago. Can you imagine a 3400lbs Ghibli with a shorter wheelbase and the same HP. It would be out handling everything with 4 doors!!

9. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Yes but unless they dumped a lot of equipment, AWD and used some very extoic material they wouldn't get there AND maintain the type of car they seek with Maserati.

I'd like to see an elegant lighter weight and smaller coupe too. Apparently Maserati doesn't see that as their B&B. There are many more customers out there for the cars they are manufacturing. The Alfieri is way, way off in the future if ever :(

They're doing some of what you're suggesting with Alfa instead ...

10. mamamia

mamamia Karting

Dec 14, 2010
    England
    Full Name:
    Henry Jameson
    And now, accoding to Marchionne, there's talk of Alfa Romeo returning to Formula 1.

11. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I can't see it, makes very little financial sense I suspect. Still, they did make an entirely new engine for the Alfa instead of taking a variation of the Maserati. When Maserati was relaunched they produced the MC12 (heavily modified Enzo) as a halo car and then went racing with that. So ...

12. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I would like to see Alfa go to Lemans/IMSA style GT racing with the 4C instead of F1 and then maybe WEC at a later date. I wonder if they would ever make a 4C type car with that V6 turbo. That might be in the works already, and it will have a Maserati logo on it:) Leave F1 to Ferrari.