GHIBLI : Inner front hood insulation material | Page 2 | FerrariChat

GHIBLI : Inner front hood insulation material

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by PogueMahone, Sep 20, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Roadspeed

Roadspeed Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tony
    From what I've seen, there were at least a couple different styles of hood pads used on Ghiblis over the years. I think the pad in Ivan's photo would have been used on a car somewhere in the middle of production (~1969-70).

I believe the material on the Gentry car very close to being correct. The early cars had more stitching in the pad. The main diamonds were broken down into 9 smaller diamonds with secondary stitching, as on the Gentry car. You can see an original pad and the stitching in this photo taken by Karl Ludvigsen in 1967 on the Stanford Revs Institute website.

https://revslib.stanford.edu/catalog/cf386bw7642

You can click on the image and zoom in. The resolution is extremely high. There are other photos of the same car on the website. They have been extremely helpful in determining what is correct on my car.

Tony Carpenter
    '67 Ghibli 080 (ex Henry Mancini)

2. Roadspeed

Roadspeed Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tony
    #27 Roadspeed, Oct 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. Roadspeed

Roadspeed Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tony
    #28 Roadspeed, Oct 20, 2014
  4. PogueMahone

PogueMahone Formula Junior

Oct 22, 2011
    MC
    Full Name:
    PMD
    It really looks like the one posted by Julian on line #22

5. JulianMerak

JulianMerak Formula 3

#30 JulianMerak, Oct 20, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
    Any other types that we can sign off as original?

David will show us his original bonnet pad today from another unrestored car, anyone else out there with similar?
    Many thanks, it would be nice to improve the quality of our restorations with an improved understanding of what was fitted from the factory and when.
    Julian

6. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    That is very interesting as I have never seen this pattern on a Ghibli. I learn something every day.

What is that diamond shaped material close to the wiper blade. Is the dash top in a similar material?

Ivan

7. JulianMerak

JulianMerak Formula 3

A reflection?

8. JulianMerak

JulianMerak Formula 3

#33 JulianMerak, Oct 20, 2014
  9. PogueMahone

PogueMahone Formula Junior

Oct 22, 2011
    MC
    Full Name:
    PMD
    Finally Happy to have an unmolested "lightweight" version w/ no hood cloth !!!

;-)

10. JulianMerak

JulianMerak Formula 3

#35 JulianMerak, Oct 27, 2014
  11. BJJ

BJJ Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2014
    #36 BJJ, Oct 28, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
    Although not for a Maserati, but for a front engined Lamborghini, I looked for appropriate material as well and ended up with a vinyl type material having airplane specs, i.e. excellent fire resistance. The stuff used for airplane seats. It was available in various colors, including black, and having it pattern stitched like the original mad it look very authentic. It is now more than 10 years old (edit: presumably more than 15 years) and it still looks almost as new with no signs of thermal damage, shrinkage or the like. Was quite expensive, I recall, but worth the money, I would say.

12. JulianMerak

JulianMerak Formula 3

Hi Ghibliman,

Which directions do your diamonds run in? I managed to buy an excellent material to match yours [ It came from New Zealand ] and I'm now wondering what the orientation of the pattern should be?

Many Thanks

Julian
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    That looks like a very good approximation to the original material Julian. I look forward to seeing the finished article. Sadly my car had no hood pad, so can’t help with the orientation of the diamonds.

Meanwhile, I am on the hunt for a pair of Koni front dampers for a Ghibli. The model number is R82-1593. They are long discontinued, but if anyone has a pair lying around in a box or knows where I may find some then I would be most grateful.

In the same vein, my car had rubber inserts at either end of the front suspension springs between the spring and the pan. I guess this was in order to help isolate road harshness. McGrath Maserati in the UK says they were not fitted to all cars and does not have any. I recall Maurice Mentens made some which were advertised as fitting the Iso Grifo too. They weren’t available last time I looked on his website and he is on holiday at the moment. Cicognani in Italy have some for a Grifo which are sold by Mr Fiat in the US, but the picture isn’t quite like my part. Does any one have any suggestions as to where I could get some?.

Many thanks in advance and best wishes to all.

Mark.

14. JulianMerak

JulianMerak Formula 3

Hi Mark,
    I cut a couple of flat donut shaped rubber 8mm thick sheets for mine rather than seat the springs on metal
    I’ll let you know how they work out

Julian

15. JulianMerak

JulianMerak Formula 3

16. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
  17. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    Nice.
    Is it stuck to the metal?

18. JulianMerak

JulianMerak Formula 3

Yes, I believe so, the edges are tucked under the frame most of the way around but I think the rest was stuck on, secrets of the trimmer might stay with her!

19. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    I use 3M Yellow Super Trim spray glue (08090) on both the metal and the hood pad. This adhesive is designed to bond heavyweight automotive materials and is heat and moisture resistant. Let it dry for 5 minutes and then you will only have one chance of getting it all nicely aligned.

Ivan

Froggie likes this.
  20. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    If you should happen to come up with a better alternative for the Biturbo's foam hood pad let us know. The OEM one always fails after about 10 years and the self stick film that comes with it doesn't work very well. I think a patterned pad like these would be fine!

21. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Since this is a Ghibli thread I just sent you an e-mail with my alternative on the 89 spyder.

Ivan

staatsof likes this.