Give a 15 year old a birthday ride | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Give a 15 year old a birthday ride

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by raygr, Aug 26, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Adrenln328

Adrenln328 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2003
    Kingston, Wa, USA
    Full Name:
    Byron
    Sorry, my family has been visiting since before this was first posted, so I didn't get onto the site to see this.
    By all means, I would be delighted to give him a ride that day or any other day, take any pictures he wants.
    I will be getting back from a trip to Calif & Oregon Coast on the 11th, but can join in with gusto. The Corvette will be messy right then, but will also offer that when it is cleaned up, too.
    Count me in on the drive. A good place to meet is at the "Our Place Pub" in Silverdale. It is not far off the freeway & had good parking. Several Ferraris have been there from time to time.
    Just a suggestion.
    Byron

2. georges355

georges355 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    I'd like to know a local contact to make things happen for the young man. I'll be glad to help out with any arrangements in this area if an event occurs. Best to all, George

3. Adrenln328

Adrenln328 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2003
    Kingston, Wa, USA
    Full Name:
    Byron
    Some of you know the Pub in Silverdale. If you want to have lunch there, the owner will cone off a part of the parking lot which is visible from inside & can get extra ladies on duty to expedite things. Just let George know how many & when to expect to be there. I'll be away or I'd be happy to take care of the arrangements. At least I WILL be back to participate.
    If lunch isn't in the plans, please disregard the above...

4. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Byron and George,

Thanks for joining in! Anyone have a different idea than what we've already discussed? So far it looks like at least 7 maybe as many as 9 or 10.

Everyone,

Does starting in Gig Harbor and ending in Silverdale sound good to everyone? That actually works well with the route I had in mind! Maybe coffee to start in Gig Harbor and lunch in Silverdale? If you North enders wanted to take the ferries over we could do it backwards too?

Chime in with your opinions and we'll get this planned. Chris, George and I should be able to handle the plans and wind up with a pretty exciting day for Matthew!

Thanks,
    John

5. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Hmmmm. This is starting to sound interesting. I will need to look at a map and see if I can plot a circle route. Drive down to GH via I-5 and maybe take a ferry back at the north end of the run.

6. StoryBook

StoryBook F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 1, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    MPL
    Scheduling conflict.........unfortunately won't make this one. Way too many things on the plate in september

7. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John

Kingston is only about 15 miles from Silverdale. That would get you to Edmonds. The other alternative would be Bainbridge Island into Seattle.

8. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    What the heck are you guys doing with all this planning and mass effort just to give a fifteen year old a "Ferrari Experience" ! Just because the kid"s mother wants to give him a nice birthday ! I can't believe it !
    Like I said before. This outfit has got to be the greatest bunch I have ever seen. This kind of sincere effort will go forever with this boy and his mother should get a medal on Mother's Day !
    When I was nine my mother and dad surprised me with my first airplane ride in a 1930 Aeronca C-2. It cost them 15 dollars and they did without a lot of stuff to put that much money out for me since it was during the depression. I have never forgotten the flight and their gift. I'll bet that this boy won't forget the largess shown by this generous Ferrari club. Hats off to you guys ! ! !

9. CMac

CMac Formula Junior

May 10, 2004
    Gig Harbor Wash.
    Full Name:
    Chris McDonald
    Couple things John....Where will Mathew be? Will mom drop him off in the am? I think there are enough people interested that we just set this in stone. Start in the Harbor as you mentioned, do breakfast/coffee and then take the drive ending in Silverdale. If people choose they can Ferry back or drive South with the rest. Since you have commando'ed this thing so far with the mother (thank you by the way) maybe set up some specifics with her as to a meeting place/time and I think the rest of us will manage to follow. Maybe a 9:30 ish start to give the North-enders some time to get here, we meet at the Huson St. Cafe (I'll provide a map/directions) and go from there? Any objections?

Kuzi - Sorry to hear you're missing out, Im sure Mathew would have loved a spirited ride in the spider!!! Catch you on the next one -

Ray - hope you will be able to make it....Kudo's to you for making this kids day!!!!!

10. raygr

raygr Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Thanks to you guys for planning this out! You folks are great.

I will plan to be there for at least part of the drive. I'll have to get my maps out and figure out where it is. I'll be coming from Issaquah. (No SatNav in the Stradale! Can you believe that?!) -Ray

11. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Well it sounds like we have enough of a consensus to finalize this then!!

Here's the plan:

Sunday Sept. 12th 2004

1) Meet in Gig Harbor (Chris will provide location and directions) for breakfast/coffee at 9:30.

2) DRIVE!!

3) End up in Silverdale (there might be a place we want to stop along the way for the scenery or to switch passengers).

Everyone can then split up and head their seperate ways. This will work good if anyone wants to take a ferry back East/North as Silverdale is pretty central to Kingston, Bremerton or Bainbridge Island.

Now we just need "firm" numbers. So far it looks like

Ray
    Chris
    Byron
    George
    Me (John)
    Dana?
    Willis?
    Eric?

Anyone else that's interested or that I missed?

Our Guest of Honor will ony be 15, will that work at the Pub George? If not do you have any ideas for an alternate spot in Silverdale?

I'll talk to Diane today and figure out where we'll pick up Matthew and see if maybe she wants to go too.

That should do it for now. Thanks for all your input everyone and we'll iron out the few small wrinkles left in the next week or so!

John

12. Brianjonesphoto

Brianjonesphoto Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2003
    Seattle Wa
    Full Name:
    Brian Jones
    I'm in, but I don't know if I'l have the car up and running by then. If the weather is good I might want to ride with someone so I can take some photos. Does any one have a passenger seat open?

If he wants to ride in something other than a Ferrari I can try to get a Lambo or 2 and a Maserati to join the crowd.

13. TimF40

TimF40 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Seattle/Bay Area/NYC
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Geez. This group is great! As noted above, it's amazing to see how much enthusiasm there is for a charity event, a birthday ride, or whatever. This is a good part of what makes f-car owners special. Someone ought to drop a line to the local newspaper. What a great feel-good story. Who knows, it might also somewhat make up for those times we blasted by some poor house WOT on a Sunday morning! Ha! - Tim

14. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Brian,

The more the merrier as far as I'm concerned!! Invite 'em all! Any make, any model will do.

On the car thing, at the rate I'm going I may not have my car back on the road by then either. I hope it'll be done! I've even talked to his Mom about having Matthew come over and help put it back together once I get all the parts in (hopefully SOON)!

15. CMac

CMac Formula Junior

May 10, 2004
    Gig Harbor Wash.
    Full Name:
    Chris McDonald
    Just a suggestion John, why don't you see if Ma/Matt want to meet us at breakfast, and mom could either follow or meet up with us at a given time in Silverdale to pick him up.

I'll post directions to the meeting spot soon, for those of you who went to the "italian Restaurant" in the harbor not too long ago, it's right across the street, super easy to find.

And good Idea Tim about the paper, would make a good "feel good" story wouldn't it!!!!

16. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I talked to her and it sounded like she might just want to meet us there and pick him up later. We'll see if either her or Dad want to go also.

I just found out my parts are done at the machine shop so she may bring him by Friday to help me put the car back together.

She also told me she's going to keep the drive a surprise. This is going to be one heck of a surprise huh??

17. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Ooooooooooo, this is going to be great! I can't resist.

My 308 hasn't been on a ferry boat for a while. Maybe I'll just run up to Port Townsend and take the Keystone over to Whidbey then Mukilteo.

I guess for the northenders and eastsiders we could meet at Southcenter before heading down to GH?

18. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Maybe I'll follow you up there, it's a pretty fun drive if traffics not too bad!

19. CMac

CMac Formula Junior

May 10, 2004
    Gig Harbor Wash.
    Full Name:
    Chris McDonald
    FYI, unless traffic sucks, it's MUCH quicker to drive I5 south to breakfast as the harbor is only about 3-5 miles max from the bridge. Say 1 hour from dowtown (seatle) to get to breakfast.

heading home is another story if leaving from silverdale.....

20. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    He's talking about on the way home.

21. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I plan on driving down I-5 through Tacoma then coming back on the ferry in Edmonds possibly. All depends on how late this goes. If time allows I might go for it and run the rest of the way up to PT and take the Keystone over.

22. CMac

CMac Formula Junior

May 10, 2004
    Gig Harbor Wash.
    Full Name:
    Chris McDonald

Gotcha!!!!

23. speed wrench

speed wrench Karting

Sep 2, 2004
    Bremerton
    Full Name:
    David B
    I live in kitsap and would be happy to give him a ride in my 308 get me a date and time to make it happen.

24. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    September 12th. See post #36 of this thread for details.

25. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John

Shoulda looked here before I asked in the other post, you did see it! We're going to meet in Gig Harbor on Sunday Sept 12th at 9:30 and go from there! Keep an eye on this thread for all the final details. If you want we can meet up in town and head to GH together (might meet Byron and George too!).

Welcome again. You probably know most of these guys here it just takes a little time to put F-chat names with real names and faces!