Give Ferrari a Grade | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Give Ferrari a Grade

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Mark(study), Feb 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. aventino

aventino Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2003
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    David L
    Mr G, Is this desire of Ford to use the retro look in a variety of products a good thing long term? I see a few complaining about it on this forum but (with the exception of the Thunderbird) it looks like the new GT and Mustang will sell well as may the cobra if they make it. The GT's great for brand image, the development costs may be cheaper than a clean sheet approach and they can still go on to do a modern GT and mustang in a few years. Just doesn't seem like everybody else is jumping on the retro bandwagon quite as much as Ford so there must be a downside.

James

2. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Yup. The "we're doing you a favor selling you a car" attitude is not going to get them very far in today's market.

3. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    James
    I'm not a big fan of the new Cobra or the New TBird. Somehow I liked the first Vipers even though they ripped off the original Cobra Daytona Coupe. The new Vipers however don't do it for me.
    The new Mustang isn't bad but I agree that Ford is becoming WAY retro.
    The Ford GT esp. at 139.9K is a lot of car and as it's 2wd it's more interesting to me than a Gallardo.
    It's very hard to design something that everyone likes.

4. Mako99

Mako99 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 29, 2003
    I don't doubt that conversation took place at all, but you forgot the most important factoid of all:

NONE of those people has the final yea/nay on whether or not the GT gets any additional models past the current one. It is definitely up in the air at this point, particularly if you believe Ford's comments that at $150k they don't make any money off of this halo car. Typically branding exercises like the GT last a few years and then go away under new leadership.

I personally hope that they do continue to develop new models of the GT, because anything that wakes Ferrari's leadership out of their 456/575/612 drunken stupor is a GOOD thing. The GT is like a nice hot cup of black coffee for Montezemolo to sober up and stop believeing his press clippings.

5. Esprit

Esprit Karting

Jan 26, 2004
    CA
    Ferrari a B- (I've driven a 348 and 360 and had a constant grin on my face... the owner has had many issues with the 348 and a few with the 360) Reliability and price is the B-.

Ford- ?, I love the look of the GT but have never driven it..??

Lambo- B-, I've driven a Countach and again.... Grins all around.. but, once again... too expensive for ME. (I LOVE the look of the Murci)

Lotus- A-, I LOVE ESPRITS (I've owned '90SE & now '00V8) But... I had
    MANY reliability issues... LOVE THE PRICE!!! (I can't wait to see the next Esprit)

Honda- A, NSX (I own a '03)... the most reliable car I've ever owned. Fast enough for me, good design and style, a bit too practical. I can't wait to see the next NSX

Porsche- C+, Girlfriend owns one.Don't care for the look at all... Somewhat of a sporty VW beetle look to it... I like the 911TT but doesn't leave that grin... not sure why...

Viper-? - I've never driven one... Okay to look at, amazing quickness... Not sure about this one..

Corvette - There are about 10 corvettes parked at the highshool in my town (4-C5 1-Z06 5-mid 80's/early 90's) Drove a C5 during the summer and did NOTHING for me. Engine in the wrong place....

6. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    When John Houghtaling tapped me on my shoulder at the Grand Bayou Raceway during the Ferrari French Quarter Classic and motioned for me to follow him, keys in hand, i had no idea what to think... When he rounded the front of The Breadvan and began getting in the driver's seat, i lost all sense of logic; what was i to do...?

"Get in..." he said...

Barreling down the straight on the racetrack, my ears on the verge of busting and gushing with blood, the speed, the power, the symphony, the raw, visceral almost-uncivilized-nature of it all grabbed me so tight and i've been different ever since...

That Saturday last year, when i actually woke up early enough to get to Ferrari of Long Island before they closed (after being tipped off by a fellow chatter), i called ahead...

"Hi- is the black NNO still there..."
    Hesitation precluded a confirmation and i was a blur...

When i pulled up, i had to park on the big hill across the street... i was so nervous and ultra excited, all at the same time... i remember stopping and gazing through the window when the door was right there next to me... Finally i stepped in and saw an NNO in person, for the first time... It was life-altering to say the least...

i may be just a lowly, biased, non-owning, 1:18 bank account-having over-enthusiastic little boy, but Ferraris and a majority of the Ferrari community have instilled some very lasting happiness in my life...

Ferrari gets an A+ with honors and full scholarship potential from me.

7. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    i have tears in my eyes after writing that, just THINKING about it... Yeah, Ferrari gets an A from me...

Goodnight, everyone.

8. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Mako
    Were you ever a major shareholder in one of the car co's.? You ever spend quality time with Bill Clay Ford? You ever go behind the locked doors of the design studio? Were you ever asked what models they should build? They ever ask to borrow one of your cars? You ever talked with J Mays? Have you ever been shown what they are going to build two years from now? You ever been on Cnn/fn answering questions about car co.'s? Reuters ever ask your opinon about their coming lineup? You know anything about the management/ownership of Ford and the likelyhood of that changing? Do you know how proud Bill is of the car that bears his name?

9. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir

Well written. I liked what you said. I hope they use the full potential
    of the chassis and engine. This looks like a terrific car technically and
    visually.

10. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Insert OWN3D graphic here

11. Mako99

Mako99 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 29, 2003
    I stand by what I've written, as I always do Jim. I don't name drop, I don't have to frankly, and you have no idea who I am or what field I'm in.

There are NO PLANS AT THIS TIME, OR IN THE WORKS for introducing another version of the Ford GT beyond a race prepped variant that will NOT be mass marketed.

Things could change, I hope they do, but I doubt it based on my own DD.

Final question for you, since you like questions:

Have you ever worked for a software company that helped develop the CAD/CAM tools that Ford is using to manufacture two subsections of the GT with?

You think about that one awhile. :)

12. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Mako
    No but I've owned them and I've seen non disclosure docs.
    Let's make sure I fully understand.
    You work for a software co. that helped develop the Cad/Cam tools that Ford is using to manufacture two subsections of the GT with.
    As a result of your employment you have knowledge that:
    "There are NO PLANS AT THIS TIME, OR IN THE WORKS for introducing another version of the Ford GT beyond a race prepped variant that will NOT be mass marketed."
    You're publically stating that and standing by that?
    You're also telling me that the Senior Ford Execs. who told me they are were what? Wrong? Not being truthfull?
    This is all "vapor" imagined by me?

13. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    Ferrari: B- New cars look too boring. Where's a new idea? Like a small light speedster or a honkin mid engine 12? Enzo isn't really a "production" car now, is it.

Lamborghini: B Gallardo is a dissappointment to too many folks (I'm not counting the opinions here since this place is a wee bit biased) but at least it looks unique. Murcialgo is an okay Diablo replacement. Outside of cool looks, not a lot to talk about though. (Yes Allan, they are fast).

Lotus: C Elise too slow in coming to market; Esprit should have been already replaced.

Porsche: Not an exotic....no score

Accura NSX: C They seem to get slightly better; where's the V8?

No one got an A....maybe next round of new models?

Ken

14. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Maaco - Tell us who you are bud. Until you do or let us know how you get your points of view related to the Ford GT, you dont have a lot of credibility on the subject. Until that time, stating what you believe is just that to the rest of us - pure speculation. Oh and the CAD/CAM stuff - its not adding up to me. I dont get the veil of secrecy if you want people to believe your points of view.

Unlike you, James has stated his sources and how he knows what he knows. He has kept this forum sort of up to date with where things stand (within the limits of confidentiality). We know who he is. I respect his knowledge and at this time he has significantly more credibility than you do. Let me put it another way - IMO he has credibility and you dont.

Think about it - I could come here and say this and that too. And then drop hints about who I am and what I do. Most people would not consider me to be a good source on where the Ford GT is going to go.

Now, I want to buy one - when I can. So accurate and reliable information is important to me. Your's is neither. I am listening to James.

15. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    A+ on looks, sound and driving experience. F- on ease and cost of maintenance and repairs.

16. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    A for the cars and my dealer. Funny to me that writing those words on a Ferrari enthusiast site may expose me to ridicule.

17. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus

"There are NO PLANS AT THIS TIME, OR IN THE WORKS for introducing another version of the Ford GT beyond a race prepped variant that will NOT be mass marketed."
    Mako

Rod
    It already has. MSRP about 100K. 600hp (measured somewhere) Spyder. Sig. lighter than the Ford GT. Uses many of the same components including transaxle. The old chicken farmer who was involved in the original and who not only promised to "Kick Ferrari's a ss" but did is involved with this one and has stated that without the components from the Ford GT it couldn't be built.
    Coming soon to a Ford Dealer near you. 04 Cobra
    First variant.
    I still believe there will be others including a refined more powerfull Ford GT.
    BTW you can now order a Ford GT. The dealers have the paper work. Production begins April 1. I still feel after the initial period you will be able to get one for MSRP 139.9K.
    Putting aside whether or not you want a Gallardo you can buy one MUCH sooner at MSRP. than many thought you would be able to.
    I think the same will happen with the Ford GT.

18. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    James - Not sure I completely understand this but is the first variant a Spyder with 600HP? Surely, the MSRP will be higher than $100K?

Very interesting times - choices are boiling down to 360, Gallardo and Ford GT in this class. Very good choices. I am warming to the Gallardo - only turnoff's are interior and 4WD - but great car nontheless. Latter 2 far more HP than a 360. Still love the 360 tho'..

19. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Rod
    I'm talking about the recently announced Ford Cobra which will use many of the Ford GT components including the transaxle and suspention. The old chicken farmer is Shelby. (This is a Ford not a Shelby)
    I like the Gallardo as well and those you can get today.
    Wayne seems to like his very much. (The one he just bought from Symbolic for msrp.)

20. Mako99

Mako99 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 29, 2003
    1. The Cobra is not a Ford GT variant. It is an entirely different package (FR, lighter, etc.) that uses a good deal of parts from the GT bin.

2. There are no plans at this time, or being developed, for a second generation Ford GT.

21. DrewH

DrewH F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    All new model Ferrari's: "F" (Except Enzo)

Ferrari has lost it's exotic special something and is not keeping up with it's competitors as far as performance goes. I don't like 360's and who would buy an overpriced supra looking (550/575). As far as the 612 goes: What a complete disaster!

What happened to the cool looking everyone knew it was a Ferrari look like: 308, 328, Testarossa, 355 etc...

I am hoping that Ferarri does something special with the 360 replacement, until then I will stick with my 355 and maybe a 512TR in the future!

DrewH

22. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Ford: "A-" A real SuperCar on the first try. I degraded based on having to use a supercharger to get there.

Lamborghini: B+" Murci is everything a lambo should be, Gallardo is OK styling wise, but does raise the antee <especially to Ferrari>.

Honda: "B-" The original NSX rewrote the books on exotic car reliability, the New NSX is <puzzling> not-for-me.

Porsche: "C+" Never liked 911 styling, never liked Boxters, CGT is not a production car.

Chrevrolet: "B" The C5 Z06 vette offers 360 levels of performance, if not better, for $50k, the C6 is another step above.

Dodge: "C+" I liked the old Viper GTS, hated the RT, and am completely bland about the new SRT. Who really cares about 500 HP when it takes 8.3 litres to get there, heck a good 4.1 liter engine in F355/360 trim can produce 500 HP.

Ferrari: "C+" 360CS is a too little too late. The 612 is barely tollerable to anyone that can afford $1/4M on a car. 360 is bland comared to its predicessors. The 575M is no competition for the Murci. Hoping they get their styling act back together.