Giving drives to friends | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Giving drives to friends

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by mhh, Mar 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I agree totally. Sounds fair!

2. t88power

t88power Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    Puerto Rico
    Full Name:
    Ernesto
    I cant think of a single friend of mine who hasnt driven my 360. Anybody who has wanted to has driven it. Its just a car, and part of the experience is to let people who would otherswise never be able to drive an exotic take the wheel for a little while.

It may be a Ferrari, but in the end its just a car, and object. If it gets damanged, it can be fixed. It shouldnt be a bid deal.

3. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    ok my.02 :
    speedy, great thread idea! i have had the honor to ride in several fcars. no drives as of yet. if i was allowed to drive someones car, there is no way i would drive in an unsafe manner or at ANY high speed. to be allowed such a thing is not something i would take for granted. while the cars are more fun near the limit, there is no reason to risk loss of life or damaged property.i have let 2 very close friends of mine drive anything i have. if / when i get a fcar, the offer will still stand. if / when i am allowed to drive someone elses car, i would treat it better than anything of my own. that said i can not imagine driving a new lamborghini , much less having one!!!!!!

4. Jameel

Jameel Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Canada
    that's such a great view. And I'm glad there are people out there who let others drive their car.

With that said, "Can I drive your 360"? hahahahahaha...

5. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Echoing what others have said--good friends who are car savy can drive my car. I usually set some groundrules, and have never had anyone abuse those rules. And by all means, if they have an exotic or cool car, there has to be a "quid pro quo". Also, I have to have ridden with the "driver to be" in question to see that they are reasonable, know how to use a clutch.

Ferrari are robust cars (at least the drivetrains), so as long as people are careful with traffic, speed and acceleration--no worries.

6. roccapalumbo

roccapalumbo Karting

Mar 16, 2004
    ohio
    Full Name:
    robert
    You know why there are two seats in F-cars? Because you have to show someone how much fun you are having. I will let my responsible friends drive the car after I have set some rules, generally for our own and others safety, and because their isn't a police officer in the area who doesn't know where I live. One thing I do in the neighborhood for the kids is if they bring me their report cards with good grades I will reward them with rides in either the 360 or my 911, they generally think its the coolest thing. I generally allow pretty easy acess to the cars as I like to knock down the preconceived notion that people driving expensive sports cars are snobs. The first time I ever rode in a ferrari I was 12, it was a neighbor's 74' 246 Dino GT, I got gooseflesh from the sound of the engine and I was hooked, still remember it to this day.

7. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Or you need to get on it.

8. roccapalumbo

roccapalumbo Karting

Mar 16, 2004
    ohio
    Full Name:
    robert
    You know why there are two seats in F-cars? Because you have to show someone how much fun you are having. I will let my responsible friends drive the car after I have set some rules, generally for our own and others safety, and because their isn't a police officer in the area who doesn't know where I live. One thing I do in the neighborhood for the kids is if they bring me their report cards with good grades I will reward them with rides in either the 360 or my 911, they generally think its the coolest thing. I generally allow pretty easy acess to the cars as I like to knock down the preconceived notion that people driving expensive sports cars are snobs. The first time I ever rode in a ferrari I was 12, it was a neighbor's 74' 246 Dino GT, I got gooseflesh from the sound of the engine and I was hooked, still remember it to this day.

9. jakermc

jakermc Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 17, 2004
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Thats very cool with regard to the kids. Thats how car enthusiasts get started and its nice to reward the good ones.

It also reminded me of when I was 16 and my father's friend came over to show off a Corvette Stingray convertible he just bought. I was drooling over the car and he asked me if I wanted to drive it. My dad had a look of horror on his face and answered for me 'No he doesn't'. I said I did and the guy insisted he didn't mind. He tossed me the keys, didn't even bother to get in the car with me, and off I went. Thinking about this now its clear this guy was nuts to let a 16 year old drive the car, but this will always rank as one of the most memorable drives of my life.

10. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Robert, 3 cheer for you , thats a great thing to do!!!

11. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Can I be your friend?????

12. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Sure, if I had any friends... (Everybody hates me. Nobody loves me. Guess I'll go eat worms.)

Actually, I have let quite a few people drive my car. Hell, I even let Rob Lay drive it!

Dr "Friendly" Tax

13. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    My Dad grew up in Trinidad with the owner of Champion Porsche Audi in Pompano Beach, FL. When I was 16, I used to go down there every week or so and see what was new.

One day, Dave looked at me and said, "you want drive something fast?" then threw some keys. I figured that it was some kind of Audi Coupe or something.

I looked down and it was not an Audi key.

"Which car is this?" I asked.

He pointed to his new 993 sitting out front. "Just bring the keys back when you're done."

If wasn't a total car freak before, the 20 minutes that I went out and drove that car did it for me. I remember looking down and the wheel and knowing that this was what my prize in life would be and no matter what happened, I would make for certain that I made enough money to drive a car like this in my lifetime.

Well, it turned out that I liked Italian cars even more. :D

At any rate, I think those 20 minutes played a very big role in my life.

14. zach_300zxTT

zach_300zxTT Formula Junior

Nov 28, 2003
    Clemmons, NC
    Full Name:
    Zach Lindsey
    I have a 1994 Nissan 300zx Twin Turbo and I DO NOT LET ANYONE drive it. I know it's not exactly a Ferrari or anything, but it's still a very nice car in my opinion.

I'm still in high school and everytime someone sees my car in the parking lot, they practically beg me to drive it. It's kinda hard to turn 'em down all the time, but I really don't want to have pick up pieces of my car off the side of the highway because they lost control.

Please check out my car at my website:

http://www.300zxTwinTurbo.com

I have over 150 car-related videos, even more pictures, and on top of all that, a bunch of funny things.

Thanks!!
    -Zach

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Out of all the cars I've driven, the 550 has been the best! Anyone want to out-do Dr. Tax? ;)

Just last Friday night I drove the crap out of my friends new RX-8. Dealer said to take it easy for first 600 and there was 650 on it, so he kinda told me I could drive it hard. I short shifted a little at about 6,500. Come on guys, after racing 1st gens I had to drive it hard to get a comparison. :) I braked hard, I turned hard, shifted quick, and then heal toed down to a slow sweeping turn.

He even made the comment how hard I drove it. I don't know others drive your car harder, you are just that much more aware when a passenger.

I did let him drive the 328, but he only drove it two blocks and pulled over to let me drive. He just wanted to say he "drove" a Ferrari and then wanted to be a passenger as I drove it hard.

I "nicely" took the 550 to 160. :D

16. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    Make it easy for your mature,trusted, good driver friend to have a good f car experience:
    Tell them in what ways the controll are different from the run of the mill auto eg the clutch is a bit heavier, the shifter is a bit stiffer and they need to take a bit more care shifting, the brakes need a bit of warming up to really do a good stopping the cag, tight steering is a bit heavy at low speed but will get easier with speed, igve them a recommended redline of 1000 to 15000 below max.
    Take them to a safer place to do the test drive, not a rush hour downtown venue - maybe one of your favorite roads, good conditions, light traffic, no alcohol.
    A good friend will know how much the car means to you and you would expect her/him to keep that in mind while sliding the car around the on ramp at 7700 rpm while screaming YEEEEE-HAAAWWW MOTHER F****R

It is still a car - a nice car, share, when you can.

chris

17. RSraddo

RSraddo Karting

Feb 11, 2004
    Battle Creek, MI
    Full Name:
    Kyle Davidson
    When I was 15 we took a trip to Stuttgart to visit some very old family friends who were also very wealthy. They own a company named Lapp Kabel and are the first true extremely wealthy people I have ever met. One of the sons (late 30's) told me when they were in the states the previous year that he had a 911 for us to drive. We get there and sure enough a 993 Targa is parked there. The day we get there he tosses us the keys and FORCES my dad to take it out for a spin on the Autobahn. Now that was COOL!

Kyle

18. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Same here. Mine is only a Mondial. I let 'em drive.

19. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    i've lent my car out for dates etc to my friends. Insurance exists for a reason, when you bring your car to a dealership, techs who you dont know drive your car so where is the big deal if people you trust drive it? Honestly if they have the funds to fix anything they break, i never care about lending any of my cars or trucks out. They are just vehicles can be replaced. IMO

I am ferrari sitting at this very point in time. The car must think its on vacation, i drive others cars easier then they do by far!

20. RussianM3_dude

RussianM3_dude F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2004
    Switzerland/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Nikolai Petroff
    I let people drive my M a little bit.
    Nice cars are just like hot chicks, you gotta share the love and hope the Karmic forces will repay you in kind later on.

21. pizzadude

pizzadude Formula 3

Feb 20, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have let a lot of friends drive my 308. They are all carefull and its a good feeling to see their faces when they are done. You can tell it is a real treat for them and they have fun telling people they got to drive a Ferrari. To me it is part of the experience.

22. Prugna 328

Prugna 328 Formula 3

Sep 10, 2003
    L.I.N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Gregory
    I 100% agree. I have only let my best friend drive my car. I know him 27 years and he was very careful. Treated it with nothing but respect. He then went right out and bought a 308.

23. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Sometimes I will let a young kid drive my car with me. I'll find an open raod and switch seats. This is a drive that the kid will never forget. After that ride, I would bet that three out of ten of the kids will work a little harder in life towards their goals.

24. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    I can attest to the fact that DES was more upset than Bob ever was about the scrape - I remember seeing them both get out of the car - DES -white as a ghost and truely upset and Bob - smiling ready to party - which is why I think people trust Des with their car - he repects and loves the car more than most

25. HUTCH91TR

HUTCH91TR F1 Rookie

Nov 7, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Hutch
    Yo Ferretti!!! How's my TR treatin you? Feel free to drive her in any manner you wish. I trust your driving abilities 100%. You are also an honorable, great guy!!! Thanks!! - Hutch