Giving rides | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Giving rides

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by tpower22, Oct 22, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Your NUTS!!!!

2. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    I never ride shotgun with people I don't know. And only with a very few of my friends. And that's with no regard to the car!!!
    Damaging your car is one thing, but being in a crash.

Hell, I've already told a friend I'd walk miles and be late rather than ride with him behind the wheel.

3. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Nice gesture but a total recipe for disaster. 1) racing around at 2:00 AM; 2) racing another guy on a windy road; 3) stopping to talk to a total stranger; 4) letting some kid drive your car. Do what you want but IMO keep that up and you and the car will wind up in a ball somewhere. Then they'll sue you. ;)

4. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth
    fine experience I'm sure..... don't do that again, please. You won't always be so lucky.

5. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    Noticed this on another thread. There are some bad dude's out there and some of the folks on this board are driving a few year's income to many people. Be generous, but be safe.

"Superstar rapper Cam’ron was shot three times in Washington, DC this morning (Oct. 23) sources have revealed to AllHipHop.com.

The Harlem, New York native was leaving club H20 en-route to Love (formerly Dream) when three unknown gunmen approached the rapper.

While details are sketchy, eyewitnesses said the men were seeking the rapper’s pricey Lamborghini, which he was driving while in town for a performance over the weekend."

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?p=135308251

6. RossoCorsaItaly

RossoCorsaItaly F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Very rarely do I let anyone drive my Maserati. I think two people besides family have driven it. I'm allways up for rides though. I've probably given over 50 rides since July 27th when I took possession of the car.

7. AntonyR

AntonyR F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Antony
    Well personally I must say I appreciate people like you. I am 24 and do not own a Ferrari. I have however driven almost every exotic car:

360 coupe/spyder
    355 coupe/spyder
    348 coupe/spyder
    6.0 Diablo
    Countach
    Maserati spyder
    911 TT
    Viper
    Murci
    Gallardo
    etc.

Most of these cars I have driven for many hours including a 360 from Washington DC to Montreal. If not for the trust and warm hearts of these people I would have never been able to drive an "exotic" until I get mine. I will never straight up ask someone to take it out but if it is offered I will go. In all fairness I did know all these people and have a good report with them.

Antony

8. v15ben

v15ben Formula 3

Aug 12, 2004
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Ben
    I agree with Antony's post above and although I am just 19 and only got into car forums about 2 years back, I now have a similar list of rides that I have been lucky enough to enjoy.

Murcielago, 355, 996 Turbo, 993 Turbo, various TVRs, Ginetta, Caterham, Lotus etc etc

My rides have come through fellow enthusiasts, mainly from meets arranged on forums. I usually post up explaining how much I love cars and how much I would love to come along to the meet just to see the cars. It is great to talk to other enthusiasts who are lucky enough to have such great cars and I have found so many people who simply say, "Do you want a ride?"
    By the end, I am grinning from ear to ear and the owner is having just as much fun as me! When I get a great car, I would be prepared to take passengers but only if I was able to chat to them first and see that they had the same car passion as me. As for driving, no chance! If anyone asked me if I would like to drive their car on the roads I would probably say no, however in controlled conditions on private roads, the answer may be a little different. It is after all someones pride and joy and I would hate to think of the consequences of me smashing it to pieces!

Just one story to end on. I went to a meet a year or so back and my mum dropped me off. We were followed down the motorway by a bright green De Tomaso Pantera which even my mum was highly impressed by! A few hours later it was parked on the drive outside my house as the owner dropped me off having given me a lift home. It turned out that his friend lived just round the corner! My mum was shocked to say the least!!

9. Nicke

Nicke Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2005
    Hellsinki
    Full Name:
    Nicke Forsell
    Giving rides is very pleasing, special moments have occured. I am very fortunate to say that part of my last job was to give people rides in a 360, and getting paid for it (not by the people but by the company) The smiles people show on their faces is just great, no matter what kind of person, stranger or not.

I recently read a proverb that suits here somewhat great:

"If you want happiness for an hour -- take a nap.
    If you want happiness for a day -- go fishing.
    If you want happiness for a month -- get married.
    If you want happiness for a year -- inherit a fortune.
    If you want happiness for a lifetime -- help someone else. (give a ride in a Ferrari ;) )
    -- Chinese proverb

10. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Sounds like it was fun, but you'd be writing from a very different point of view had he gotten into your car, pulled out a gun and said "Out, I'm taking your car." (Only half kidding about that). At 2 in the morning, I'd be very leary about letting a total stranger into my car, no matter how nice he seems.

A guy I worked with many, many moons ago fancied himself a ladies' man. One Saturday night, he was out at a local bar, picked up an absolutely stunningly beautiful woman and took her back to his place. He woke up the next morning to find her gone, along with his wallet, watch, jewelry, television, stereo, car and anything else that was not nailed down. Apparently, she'd drugged him and stole everything she could get her hands on. When the fog lifted, he realized he'd been f&$@ed, but not the way he had hoped when he brought her home.

As far as the insurance issue goes, you should read your policy. Unless the coverage is extremely (and expressly) limited, anyone driving the car with your permission is covered, especially if you are in the car with them. As long as they are not a regular user of the car who lives in your household, the "with permission" provision of the insurance policy should cover. And as long as you were not "wheel to wheel" racing, merely driving agressively should not invalidate your coverage. Do what most people never do -- read your policy. You'd be surprised what it actually says.