Glad I read all the tire threads on this forum... | FerrariChat

Glad I read all the tire threads on this forum...

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Bobby_P, Nov 16, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bobby_P

Bobby_P Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2004
    Having read all the posts suggesting you should swap the PZeros on your F12 for Michelins I decided to make the switch on the new-to-me 2017 with 4k miles I bought back in May.

Really glad I did as this is what the inner wall of my right-rear tire looked like upon removal. Absolutely no indication of the tire's condition while driving and the tire maintained proper psi. Assuming it is not just a random failure...the car was in for service to Ferrari Scottsdale about a month ago...don't know if they happened to clip the tire on their lift or this has been an issue since I purchased the car from Ferrari Central Florida. I know I didn't hit anything that would have caused the injury.

Can't imagine this is a frequent occurrence, but I will now periodically inspect my inner side walls...particularly after my cars have been serviced.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  2. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Oh you can plug and patch that. It would just take a lot of plugs and patches! :D

Bobby_P likes this.
  3. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Glad you discovered this without incident.

papou likes this.
  4. Bobby_P

Bobby_P Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2004
    My first thought as well.

5. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    I don’t think you can plug and patch on the side wall.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

6. Da Butcher

Da Butcher Karting

Jan 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jose Marie Alandy
    That nasty sidewall tear near the treads looks like it was caused by a sideways high mechanical blunt force from a solid-edged object enough for pliant rubber to be sliced open (eg, like a sword cleaving the neck of a champagne bottle). There's also evidence of erosion of rubber from the mid sidewall where the object impacted first before sliding obliquely and upward (relatively speaking) to tear the sidewall-to-tread conjunction.

Though you didn't feel any difference while driving, it was a "bomb waiting to explode"!

For what it's worth and from my years of experiences in F1 racing, commercial/military aerospace and space material failure root cause analysis, that tear was not caused by failure of the rubber material or tire vulcanizing process.

7. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Tire damage almost always involve the right rear side. I wonder if it's the left rear for right-hand drive car.

8. Prancing12

Prancing12 Karting

May 8, 2005
    From the looks of it and my personal testing for over 10 years on both Pirelli and Michelin tires, it's definitely not related to manufacturing tire defect by Pirelli.

You have the old Pirelli P Zero, the P Zero (PZ4) is considered a big jump in terms of traction + comfort, but the Michelin PS4S is the obvious choice when it comes to replacement.

---------

Answer is highlighted in bold.