Glass targa | FerrariChat

Glass targa

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Teenferrarifan, Sep 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Why no glass targa tops? A la corvette on any f-cars?
    Erik

2. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    A company called Saratoga Tops used to make them for 308's and 328's. Saratoga is still in business, but do not make Ferrari tops anymore.

There are some pictures on the old site of a member's blue 328 with one, and one pops up on Ebay every now and then, usually around $3000.

3. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    A carbon fibre one would be good too.

4. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    yeah carbon fibre would be cool. And probably much easier to take on and off.
    Erik

5. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I would not see how CF would be any easier to use...the OEM top is already light and easy to place on and take off. That said the cool factor is worth noting. :cool:

6. WAR EGL

WAR EGL Formula Junior

May 8, 2003
    SE Connecticut
    Full Name:
    TWS
    $3000? Damn, mine might be for sale shortly. I've heard that only 100 or so were made, but am not sure if that number is accurate or not. The really nice thing about the Saratoga tops versus the OEM roof is they give you an inch to an inch and a half more head room.

TWS

7. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    The 355 top seems much harder to use than my 328's used to be- I think it is heavier, and the width of the car means that you are leaning over more. I have nearly damaged the trim a few times falling into the car with the roof! Perhaps I should work out...

Robert.

8. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    There actually was someone selling carbon fiber 308/328 targa tops and roof spoilers for a while. Their site is now down, but there's some info in the old archives

9. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix

Perhaps its a two-person job.

10. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Its certainly much easier with two. I usually try to get help now, but sometimes needs must!

Robert.

11. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    There are carbon fiber tops and wings for sale from a Japanese company on Ebay and a seller at Concorso.

The Concorso seller is MA Carbon (650)520-4822 www.maranelloauto.com

He had both on his car, and they look good. Top is about half the weight, but you use your hardware from the original, so you don't end up with two complete tops.

Carbon fiber targa for 328 - $1900
    Carbon Fiber rear wing for 328 - $900

I may get the wing, which would look good on a black car.

12. johnb@macarbon

johnb@macarbon Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    John Borchelt
    Hi,

Since my car is pictured above I figure I better speak up! We import and sell the Garapan 308/328 targa top. Main benefits are: weight (10lbs vs 16), headroom (an extra inch), and last but not least, looks. You can also put your concorse condition original away to keep it fresh! Main disadvantage is a little bit more wind noise from it being slightly higher in the front. You also have to be a little bit more careful since it has a clear coat finish. The rear wing also looks good and the two together make a nice understated update to the car. We also discount the price with a purchase of both to $2550.

John Borchelt
    Maranello Auto
    www.maranelloauto.com

13. Ferrari 328 Euro

Ferrari 328 Euro Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2004
    Salem, MA
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    When I bought my 328 GTS it came with 2 targa's. One being the OEM and the other being the custom top made of tinted glass. The prior owner told me it did indeed come from Saratoga Tops in Florida. Apparently, the company has since closed up.

The glass top does indeed give extra headroom and looks pretty cool from both the inside and outside.

I'm surprised to read that people are paying $3000 for the top. I consider myself lucky to have it as part of the purchase.

I'm not too hot on the carbon fibre, but I guess it's all about taste....