Glassmans The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, Thread | FerrariChat

Glassmans The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, Thread

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by Glassman, Aug 9, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Ok, I arrived in Kona on Friday. Being that I really don't care for Hawaii I thought I would post various incidents for comment. These will include good, bad and ugly.

Saturday
    The Good:
    Lunch at Killer Taco. My god thats good stuff served in a plastic basket wrapped in tin foil. Bought a T-shirt for my granddaughter.

The Bad:
    Pulled out of my complex onto Alii Drive and found myself behind a young man "Hawaiian Looking" driving 20 MPH in a 35 zone. Had to follow this jackass all the way into the village.

The Ugly:
    Just about into the village and somebody had thrown out a very full bag of garbage on the street. By now people had run over it numerous times and it was strewn for a long ways. Cans bottles and paper goods. This is the stuff I really hate.

Sunday
    The Good:
    Hot Asian girl gives me a haircut. Black skirt, spike heels, and a black beret!!!!

The Bad:
    Lunch at Bali. Vietnamese (sp) at its best, but like a dumb ass I try the hot pepper sauce with some fish sauce, and then try some weird red stuff that shoots out of a plastic mustard container. Ouch!!!!!!!

The Ugly:
    I stop at the public market to pick up some Mangos on the way home. Some very smelly homeless appearing guy grabs me and gives me a big Aloha hug. The smell lingers and I have to shower when I get home.

We'll see what tomorrow brings on my way to work.

2. Pass

Pass F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 29, 2008
    Salida Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Passarelli
    As they say "Just another Sh###y day in paradise".

3. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #3 Kevin Rev'n, Aug 9, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
    You're getting random hugs from smelly strangers? HA! That's very funny stuff. You must be doing something right! I have to say that hasn't happened to me yet [knock on wood]!
    I am looking forward to any updates you care to make. Enjoy your trip!
    Aloha

4. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

#4 Kds, Aug 9, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
    Glassman......

Been to Hawaii once......in 2007.......

The good.....absolutely everything that I can remember except for.........

1-Being called "bra" by everyone.........do I look like a F _ _ KING Playtex ?

2-I want the 4 hours of my life back that I spent at the Mormon run luau hula pig roast clip joint on the north shore of Oahu. How can you have a non-alcoholic party full of tourists is beyond me.

5. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    #5 willrace, Aug 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Welcome "rush hour" Hawaii-style (outside of Honolulu/Waikiki area). This isn't uncommon, and I came to sorta enjoy it at times. I've always suspected it was just someone leading the parade who had a couple of hits too much.......of, you know. Always happens on the two-lane Kam Hwy.

[size=+4]ALOHA!!![/size], here's who we meant to send for your hug........sorry about the mix-up:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

I've had a long day, I'm ready for my real aloha hug now!!!!!

Today was brutal so I only have the good to talk about. I meet the contractors rep on a job site today, and she is not only young and nice, she's good looking to boot. I'm home now enjoying a glass of wine on the lanai. Still too hot out for this Montana boy.

7. Pass

Pass F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 29, 2008
    Salida Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Passarelli
    I agree on that one especially since the place is only open after cocktail hour....

8. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I had some friends stay at a beach house over in that area and they reported that the videos at the rental store are the Mormon approved, de-tuned versions like the ones that the airlines play. Interesting.

9. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

They should stop by the Korean bar up the road from the Pine Tree Cafe. Anything you want......in the parking lot.

10. Shaide

Shaide Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2008
    Las Colinas, DFW TX
    Full Name:
    Jason
    If I recall correctly, "pakalolo" was the local term. Someone please correct me if I'm off.

Ahhhhhh, I miss my years in Hawaii. Errr, not for the pakalolo, just the beach, scenery, food, and some specific friends. Fun thread in any case. I definitely have seen much "bad" and "ugly" as well, but I think I tend to be very forgiving on the islands, so it's good to see the view/experience/perspective of someone lacking the bias I have.

11. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

Today

The Good,
    Malia and Doreen at XpressRepo
    These two are Hot Hot Hot. If you need architectural plans made, don't waste your time anywhere else. Malia ownes this town.

The Bad,
    Dead Mongoose in the driveway at work. This guy was huge. He could kick a cats ass in a second. Bon Voyage my furry friend.

The Ugly,
    Headed to Hilo tomorrow. The Hawaii equivilant of Butte Montana.

12. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I like the architecture in Hilo compared to some other Hawaii towns. It's very nice to spend time at the Lyman museum if you havent done so. He collected quite the variety of shells and rocks. Of course you have to go to Big Island Candies and load up on all the goodies! There is a surf shop off the main drag called Orchidland, they guy Stan who owns it has some nice shirts if your looking for gifts and if, by chance, you like to talk about surfing he has a wall of trophys and some stories to tell. I let him talk me into taking my 5 year old son to the Tsunami museum though and that was a bad tip! My poor son was bored to tears.

Cheers

13. Pass

Pass F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 29, 2008
    Salida Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Passarelli
    Watchout fo dem Mahu's...

14. Shaide

Shaide Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2008
    Las Colinas, DFW TX
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Lol! Good advice! Not that there is anything wrong with that. >.>

15. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

Whats a mahu, and are they dangerous!!!!!!!!

16. gil308

gil308 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Gil
    If I don't get back to Hawaii soon, I'm going to bust! Been there 8 times, almost moved there twice. I was only on the Big Island for a few hours when I did a helicopter tour, but looked nice from the air :)

I only spend 12-14 days at a time, so I guess I don't have any bad/ugly experiences. I love the islands and will maybe one day call it home (possibly when I retire). Trying to convince my 5 year old daughter to go to UH vs. Clemson...I told her Hawaii has rainbows and dolphins, so I think it's peaked her interest :)

17. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    They are the "extra friendly" fellas dresssed up like ladys. I don't recall seeing any in Hilo but it sounds like you are being warned. Lets see....Did anyone compliment you on your shirt?

18. Shaide

Shaide Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2008
    Las Colinas, DFW TX
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Lol!
    +1 for a very nice and tactful way to put it. I can feel the aloha spirit here.

19. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Good fun...but now I am starting to wonder about those gals at the blueprint center and what about the one in heels that cut his hair? ;-)

20. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

Don't worry, Glassmans "gaydar" is spot on. I used to be in the theater when I was young. And there is nooooooooo doubt that Malia is a fine speciman of womanhood. Maybe I'll try to sneak a picture!!!!! If caught my name will be Mr. Asshat.

Today the good:
    I hit 4 jobsites and field measured for over 200k worth of windows.

The bad:
    I still didn't make it to Hilo for three more sites.

The Ugly
    I hate Hilo.... one of the most depressing and ugly towns I've ever been in. Hence the reference to Butte Montana. But I love the Volcano. I would like to buy the Volcano House and live there.

The maybe
    Hilo is supposed to have an Indian resturant now. I'm going to check it out. Nan and Masala!!!!!!

21. 101010

101010 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2008
    did you still have your wallet or anything else you might've kept in your back pockets?

I don't care if we're in the middle if the Garden of Eden, some strange guy comes up and goes to wrap his arms around me... he's waking up in the gutter saying 'aloha' to his teeth.

22. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

+1
    Now thats what I call "tough aloha".

23. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin