News

Glickenhaus' SCGs

Discussion in 'Special Projects & Concept Cars' started by Igor Ound, Jul 18, 2018.

1. BJK

BJK Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    agree, they have more than enough power/torque, but, I think something with a higher rev limit would 'fit' 004S better.

2. BJK

BJK Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
  3. johnhoughtaling

johnhoughtaling Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    #103 johnhoughtaling, Nov 5, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
    https://vpic.nhtsa.dot.gov/mid/manufacturer/details/16928

NHTSA confirmed SCG with published status on US gov website with the SCG cars and images of the cars. Legally it’s a done deal. So SCG is, figuratively and literally off to the races.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

F2003-GA likes this.
  4. johnhoughtaling

johnhoughtaling Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    If there’s interest I see if I can get permission to show some of the engineering videos of 004. It’s super cool. As I will have 001, I am pretty excited. The first 25 founders are being show weekly updates on very detailed engineering. It’s all quite amazing to see the amount of work that goes into it.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat[/QUOTE]

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

F2003-GA, BJK and 9nb like this.
  5. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Full Name:
    James Moran
    GT350 engine would be nice :D

6. BJK

BJK Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Ford 5.2 L; 315 cu.in. dohc, flat plane crank, 526 hp @ 7500 rpm / 429 lb⋅ft tq
    or
    LT4- 6.2 L; 376 cu in., 1.7L supercharger, .... 650 hp @ 6400 rpm / 650 lb⋅ft (used in Corvette Z06)

7. BJK

BJK Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Redline on the Ford 5.2L Voodoo engine is 8200 rpm and sounds like nothing else.

F2003-GA likes this.
  8. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    HP isn't everything. I'm not remotely close to buying one of these cars for financial purposes, but if I were going for a 004, I'd much rather have a light car with perfect driving dynamics. A 1000HP engine isn't necessary for spirited driving. In fact, it hinders it, in most real world practical situations. 004 could work with a V6 or even a nice little turbo 4.

boxerman likes this.
  9. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    All these projects at the same time remind me of Dany Bahar at Lotus

10. fastback33

fastback33 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2004
    This is what doesn't make sense about SCG and the low volume manufacturer status, you're supposed to be making a replica under this law. So how Jim has gotten around this could be very interesting as for the intent of this new law.

11. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Maybe they’ll pass as very coarse Ferrari replicas. Maybe why the badge is so similar too.

12. boxerman

boxerman F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    Sean
    IMO 004 and 006 needs a smooth running high reving quad cam motor, possibly even a 12, if youre building a euro inspired and driving car it needs a euro style motor.. Its the smoothness and revability of an ohc motor that works for these types of cars, otherwise its sorta like a vette or a modern rendition of the intermechanica from the early 70s.

The question boils down to who builds a Na quad cam motor thats emissions certified.
    Ford we know does with both the mustang Gt and Gt 350. I think cosworth does an emisisons friendly version of the ford, which adds provenance and performance. The Aston V12 if the motor is still in production?
    I wonder if Lambo would sell Jim some Aventador 12's.

Still I would talk to mercury marine about emissions certifying their motor.

Much as i love a SBC it just seems the wrong motor for these otherwise well sorted and excellent cars. But then maybe the price is super reasonable.
    Or maybe Jim is prepared to sell a roller, and then we can install our own motor.

Perhaps possibly with the impending demise of the 750 hp zr1 motor and the vette moving to quad cam these older SBC will be able to carry the classic moniker for these cars. But still one could just get a zr1.

BJK likes this.
  13. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    GNARly dude!

SV

14. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Jaz
    Wonder when the 3 seater will go into production

15. BJK

BJK Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    ummm, according to the press release, 004S will begin deliveries next year.
    Add on some "due to circumstances beyond our control" time, and figure early 2020. ;)

F2003-GA likes this.
  16. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Jaz
    Would love to see it in person one day

17. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Professional Ferrari Technician Consultant

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I hate to say it, and I hope I wrong. But this venture seems a little late to the party. Cars are changing and fast. Electric powertrains are quickly taking over. It's nice to be nostalgic etc, but if this company is to survive in the long term, they really need to get with the current technologies.

I wish him well...so much so I'm kind of interested in becoming a dealer for the car.

of2worlds and Igor Ound like this.
  18. BJK

BJK Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Well back in 2010 he built his F430 GT2 based P4/5C (Competizione) - his one-off race car that raced the 24 Hrs of Nurburgring in 2011 and for 2012 added a F1 style KERS system (kinetic energy-recovery system). So I'm sure he is well aware of current hybrid systems. One step at a time. Although with his current plan, including street and race cars, he seems to be taking about 12 steps at a time. :)

19. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Professional Ferrari Technician Consultant

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Yes I do remember that car. I was going to bring it up in my post. However I believe (and could be wrong) cost was a major factor in not pursuing it. When that car was built electric assist in cars was very expensive. Most manufacturers took a loss in production to get it to market. Ferrari installed it in the LaFerrari but definatly passed those costs into the buyer.

I would love to see this car prevail. It would be awsome for a north American bespoke car company to succeed. It will be a long and expensive road, but if anybody can pull it off it will be Jim.

of2worlds likes this.