GM hits a solid home run with the Hummer EV | FerrariChat

GM hits a solid home run with the Hummer EV

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by bitzman, Oct 22, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    GM's Unexpected Success with the Hummer EV

I never had it happen. I am talking about writing a story about some business venture, evidencing some trepidation on its chances for success and instead it's a roaring success.
    That's what happened a few days ago when i wrote about the new GM EV Hummer. I was worried GM was spending too much on a big ol' EV.
    I mean I know pickup trucks outsell cars but with Tesla, Bronco, and Rivian all coming out with off road capable trucks or EVs II thought GM was too late (2021 model). Especially when they are starting out with the most expensive model (over $100,000) and bringing out lower price versions in 2022 and 2023.
    Boy was I wrong.
    They sold out of the first year's planned inventory.
    In one hour.
    And here we are in a pandemic, with many people laid off and their economic future threatened.
    I can imagine some reasons why GM's offering was so successful. First, people yearn to go off-road, a lot more of them than went in the past but they didn't like the fire-spittin' rip-roaring off road vehicles of the past.
    Secondly this ought to be a vehicle that will qualify for "perks" like being able to go where internal combustion vehicles can't. If you don't think there will be discrimination against internal combustion vehicles you haven't read the goals of The Green New Deal.
    Finally though I be a sports car fan, I realize that performance won't be measured by the traditional ways. It's how much torque now (I am still reeling from the Hummer EV's 11,000 ft-lbs. of torque). It'll be range you can go after a re-charge. It'll be how big is the dash screen?
    I am from Michigan originally so I'm proud that my fellow Michiganders developed this and correctly anticipated where the market is going. And I enjoy competition, so I like to see Elon Musk, who heretofore is proving to be as unbeatable as Jeff Bezos, be handed some competition.
    So congratulations, GM, you're building what folks want....

2. marknkidz

marknkidz Formula 3

Oct 7, 2004
    so cal
    Full Name:
    mark
    lots of pros and con responses on a diff thread... but i for one think its sweet!! i tried to get a deposit in on one... SOLD out.. im guessing more than 1/2 who get an allocation will flip it! will wait till year 2 or 3 for bugs to be worked out.

3. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
  4. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

Hideously ugly turd of a vehicle, nobody will seriously go off road in these. Much like the most Jeep's, the Hummer will be a boulevard cruiser that never see's dirt or rocks, but will see trendy Boutiques and restaurants. All the while making the owner feel good about themselves and their low "carbon footprint", except all the oil it took to produce it.

5. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    +1 this is another ugly mall-crawler.

Davesvt2000 likes this.
  6. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    Wheels look like bead locks.
    I’m interested to see how it lives up to the stats. If the tech is good you’ll see it filter down to the regular trucks.

7. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris