GMP are looking for suggestions | Page 2 | FerrariChat

GMP are looking for suggestions

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by the_stig, Feb 23, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thedoc

thedoc Formula 3

May 27, 2009
    250mm berlinetta
    375mm berlinetta
    some early 250 series road cars

gary
    espada

2. John Z. Goriup

Mar 4, 2009
    Walnut Creek, CA US
    Full Name:
    John Z. Goriup
    Tameo does a perfectly adequate job on '70s & the more interesting of the normally aspirated '80s F-1 models in their superkit offerings, so there's no pressure there, and no point in duplicating those.........but nobody, and I mean absolutely noone, produces a 1960 super-detailed "sharkmouth" kit, the car in which Phil Hill won the championship.

Also, there's a lamentable gap in the turbo-era Ferrari F-1 cars, i.e. mid eighties to '88. Bosica has done some, but finding them and having to deal with him is more trouble than it's worth. Incidentally, naturally, I'm talking strictly 1:43rd scale.

My personal dream model, the one car of which I would like to see a world-class miniature created is a D-50, the seperate tank model. I know Rennaisance and Dallara make one but they're not anywhere near detailed enough. I would spend all the time, money and attention necessary to make this the pinnacle of my cllection and I'd wager many feel similarly.

Hopefully this isn't just a waste of our time and Signore Ballestrini will be informed of our comments.

3. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Tameo make wonderful stuff - but there are fewer and fewer 1/43 builders and there's not a lot of crossover between 1/43 and 1/18 collectors at least in my experience after 30+ years in the hobby.

4. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Wow, great news! Did they say if it will be an LM?

5. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    How about the Breadvan? The kits that are available are nicely executed but the Bburago base is severely flawed and somehow the roofline doesn't look right on those kits.

6. ryankjb

ryankjb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2006
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I can not tell you enough how much I want a 312P model that is already put together, and high quality. Close behind that is an F50 GT.

7. ferrari4evr1

ferrari4evr1 Formula 3

May 8, 2005
    Although this is a great idea, a few of these have been done by Exoto already....

I think they should do the Carrera Panamericana cars of the 50's and 60's. One that really comes to mind is the 1953, Phil Hill Driven 375MM

http://www.conceptcarz.com/view/photo/186884,9475/1953-Ferrari-375-MM_photo.aspx

http://www.conceptcarz.com/events/eventVehicle.aspx?carID=9475&eventID=128&catID=1108&whichPage=1

GMP, if you're listening. Please do this car!!! :)

8. moriaan1

moriaan1 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans
    Mark must be smiling on the reactions posted here...

The suggestions are enough for a couple of years work!!

9. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    In 1:18
    512BB/LM
    512M
    166SC
    250/275P
    290MM
    Nathan

10. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    No indication that he knows about this thread - the original post was to direct people to another forum!

11. MovieCarMania

MovieCarMania Karting

May 3, 2009
    Woodstock, MD
    Full Name:
    Rodney
    This would be VERY nice.

12. ferrari4evr1

ferrari4evr1 Formula 3

May 8, 2005
    Well, if GMP isnt looking then perhaps CMC might jump into this mix? :)
    Either way, the FCHAT peeps have spoken..............

13. moriaan1

moriaan1 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans
    Mark is a member here,
    if my company would be the subject of a thread, I would look!

14. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    yes, 0626MM would be just fine

:)

15. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    ...and then I'll go to the original post to get to the other forum.

Sorry it isn't a Ferrari, but what I *REALLY* want from GMP is a 1/18 (and similarly priced) Lowenbrau Porsche 962. The 1/8 model looks *SPECTACULAR*, but at $4K, is so far out of my price range, it's just silly. For $4K, I could buy a real car - granted, not a Porsche or Ferrari, but still.....

So that's my suggestion.

gp

16. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    #41 the_stig, Mar 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    Wow - that looks really nice. That's from GMP?? I couldn't even find it on the GMP website. Or any others... Where can I find out more about this and where to get it?

Thanks!

18. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Nope - not from GMP. Sorry, that was kind of a tease. It's done on the (pretty basic) diecast from Universal Hobbies by a guy in Germany. They have 21 different 962 models either available or under development but they are transkits for the base diecast. Lot of work although you can send them €425 for a finished model. The kit with the diecast is €219
    scalemodeller.de and click on the picture to enter the site.

19. MassaFan

MassaFan Karting

Nov 10, 2007
    Yes Mr. Sitter of scalemodeller is doing a good job and always open for special requests. As for me the most desired model would be the Ferrari 330 TRI would love this from GMP. I also think there are plenty of good 80s Models out there there is no need to do a 308 for example first keep up with the old ones.

20. lucky_13_2002

lucky_13_2002 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 26, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #45 lucky_13_2002, Mar 5, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
    I have a suggestion for GMP.
    How about keep your promises to the people who help you.
    And definitely tighten up the quality control too. I think out of the 6 or so street rods I have from them four have problems. My hobby shop is saying they are ready to drop them because they are difficult to deal with and all the returns they had from customers.
    I love their models and have quite a few. Just wish they stepped their game a bit.

21. Itsa GT4

Itsa GT4 Karting

Jun 8, 2004
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark Sanderson
    #46 Itsa GT4, Mar 10, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
    First, thanks to all of you for the input and suggestions!!!!
    The input from this and other threads has been very helpful. We do have license for and are working on a few of the cars mentioned so hopefully we will be making at least some of you happy in the future :)

I must admit be being a bit confused by this post however. Have we failed to do what we promised for you or someone you know? if so, please let me know for who and what it was and I will apologize and see that it is handled.

We certainly can't say that our products are perfect and we have seen a few finish issues with the 32 series, but the total returns for this line are less than 1%. As far as the 1:18 330 P4 replicas, we have shipped over 6500 pieces and had less than 2 dozen returns. Based on this, our product quality does not appear to be as bad as you may have been lead to believe.

If any of you ever receive a new GMP models that you are not satisfied with and/or you have issues with a dealer, please contact us directly, and we will replace it. Our return policy has always been VERY flexible and we really do want to stand behind the product.

BTW, we'll be at Concorso/Laguna again this August for any of you who have more product suggestions or can just stop by and introduce yourselves.

22. ApeGen

ApeGen Formula 3
    Owner

Jun 3, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Great post.

It is great to know that GMP set its bar so high for their customer satisfaction. I am not an owner of any GMP yet because my collection focus mostly on modern road cars.

My wishlist for GMP:

F50
    F50 GT
    288 GTO

23. lucky_13_2002

lucky_13_2002 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 26, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Michael
    About the promises and the people who have helped you I'll shoot you a PM.
    About your quality control, it is very tricky how you have it set up.
    First off even as a member of your club, apparently companies like Replicarz and other diecast distributors get their batch of new models before you do, which totally amazes me. While you still show "coming soon" on your own website for the #21 330P4, Replicarz were already selling it with a 10%off. Well this is all fine and dandy, but it creates a problem with your return policy. When I had a problem with a Deuce I bought from my Hobby shop I returned it to them and they said that they would ship it back to you guys and get me a new one. Well I got my refund from them, but never got the same model back, simply because they could not get it from you. After few months I just bought it from e-bay.
    The next Deuce I bought- the 3 window black highboy, came with bunch of finish problems and this time I contacted GMP directly. I was told that the model is sold out and I can not exchange it. Yes I could get my refund, which by the way I was told to get from the vendor, but I could not get the same model. The way I read this is " you can have your model with the defects or not have it at all."
    I have noticed that there is some improvement in the amount of metal parts used and the details, but it is a real shame as all this new tooling is added with the same poor fit and finish. When I am saying this I have in mind mainly your Deuces. At $100+ you really can not get exhaust with a hole at the end? Same for the intake stacks. Some red paint and that's it? Not even a little depression in the inlet? What is the point of adding fuel lines between the two carbs if they just end hanging in the air ?
    I know that I would be blamed on here to be picky, but GMP sets the level at which they want to play by the prices they offer their product at. Therefore the expectations too. If you price models at AutoArt and Kyosho prices, then collectors will expect AA and KY quality. I am well aware what goes in the development and marketing of a model, but you can not tell me that CMC can make a head spinning 250 TR for the same price as your 330P4 and you can't do better.