GMP Ferrari 312 PB | Page 2 | FerrariChat

GMP Ferrari 312 PB

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by Bee Jay, Aug 17, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Not at the time! It is supposedly expensive now.
    Oh, btw, the conversion for long tail also exists.

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I saw my Miura Jota for $800 somewhere the other day, and used it's value to chastise my gf for setting a loaf of bread down on the rooftop antenna!!!

It went back on okay, but it was damned hard to find on my kitchen floor!

Her response: "Well, sell the darned little thing, then!!!!"

I guess that's why we love 'em!

3. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
  4. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    That's good news. Now if they would go one version earlier with the fins and shorter wheelbase (and therefore nicer front) that would even be greater news! :)

5. Bee Jay

Bee Jay Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2004
    Lompoc, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Bernard E. Jones
    I saw their 512 prototype at SEMA. I can't post pictures anymore.
    Bee Jay
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    I almost had a stroke! You meant 412 P, not 512. I love the 512, it's my all time favorite Ferrari sports racer. GMP, if you're listening, please continue your beautiful line of sports racers with the 512 S and M :)

7. lucky_13_2002

lucky_13_2002 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 26, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Michael
    They ARE coming out.......but .............from................Mattel.
    Now can you say "snowtires" right before you start weeping? LOL

8. model builder

model builder Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Edward Cervo
    The car pictured is the '72 version. The earlier car would have the same wheelbase. The wheelbase changed in 73 with the longtail versions that ran at Lemans. I just sent some pictures to GMP at there request as they are considering doing the 73LM version. They did a very nice job on the 312's so far.

9. ItalianHorses

ItalianHorses Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2004
    Finally got this model....well, detailing is impressive, and everything looks good from a feet away....but it feels/looks toylike up-close. Too much plastic everywhere, inaccurate assembly, flash on parts, glue spots. It doesn't feel like $250 model. Maybe I'm just too strict, but I got CMC 250TR at the same time, and for the SAME price, it is leaps and bounds better model than GMP.

10. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    #35 bigodino, Jan 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I would swear the wheelbase is shorter on the version I'm talking about, please see picture. The front wheel arches at least look less long and thus nicer to me. But a 73 version would be nice too. I always use the rule that I only buy models of cars that I've seen in real life. And I've never seen the version that GMP has released so far so I'm looking forward to any other versions.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Yeah, saw those pictures. Not good, not good. I do hope the final version will be better but I'm not holding my breath.
    Besides, these prototypes really need people like GMP, CMC and Exoto in order to replicate the thin bodies and detail.

12. model builder

model builder Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Edward Cervo
    The car you have pictured, #15 (maybe, the Monza car I'm not sure from 1971) has a 2220mm wheelbase. The car GMP did was also possibly from Monza in 1972, maybe Sebring and they were also 2220mm. In the fall of 72 they changed some cars to experiment with the longer wheelbase. By 73 all the cars that raced were changed to a 2234mm wheelbase. This is according to books I read. Books have been wrong so maybe I am mistaken. I wasn't there so I can't say I measured any of them firsthand. But most pictures I have seen seem to confirm it. The only way to know for sure is to get out the measuring tape on the cars.

The books I have are numerous but the Cavalleria #2 Ferrari 312PB has the tech data.

If anyone has measured the wheelbases please let us know

13. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    I think you're right about the wheel bases. They should be the same. So the visual difference is probably caused by a redesign of the front fenders. On the '72 version they look a little akward to me, on the '71 version the wheels seem to fit more nicely into the wheel wells.

14. MovieCarMania

MovieCarMania Karting

May 3, 2009
    Woodstock, MD
    Full Name:
    Rodney
    Great car. Beautiful collection of cars. The GMP Ferrari series has incredible detail.