Go Kart Racing - Relationships - Finance - Kitchen sink | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Go Kart Racing - Relationships - Finance - Kitchen sink

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by tifosi12, Feb 21, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Hmmm...this is kind of a strange "discussion". A funny thing about people is that they tend not to like confidence when it's somebody else's. Let's try and remember that, at the end of the day, it's recreational go-karting and is supposed to be fun. I personally got f***ed last year because, even though my times were near the top, I got taken out twice in one of the heats and missed the final. Sucks, but c'est la vie. I never felt BoyRacer was out of line in any way. Guess what? He's experienced, and he's good. I would rather have someone like that who you can learn from and use as a measuring stick. I think that's why Andreas created different trophy divisions to begin with.

2. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Hey, like I said. I'm done with it. I didn't start the issue. I just rendered my opinion.

3. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I for one, didn't say it wasn't fair. But if you were that much faster, the driving style you employed, could have been a bit less, let's just say aggressive. You knew you wouldn't be setting any track or personal records, with all of the slower traffic in the way. A reduced level of exhuberance could have gone a long way in diplomacy.
    Comparatively, there are a near infinite number of P cars, they build them nearly as fast as Toyotas (exaggerated). As such, Yes, there will always be less Ferrari owners at any given activity that is attended by a general group of auto enthusiasts. There is some track experience in our group, but not specifically on karts or CIR's go karts and track. You do have an advantage, I am not saying that to detract in the least from your ability, but it is your "home track".

Fast and light are the keys to top placement in karts, some of us namely me, will never be light or fast and there are also a few other F-car people that do appreciate the finer culinary offerings to be experienced. :D Karts will never be an area of towering success for us, the dimensionally challenged, but hopefully it will be a fun afternoon.

Regards,
    Bill

4. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Right on, Bill!

Yes, as far as the "P-Car" thing goes.... Several years ago, I was reading an article about Ferrari in one of the big Auto Magazines. And, at the end of this article, the writer wrote exactly this: "Porsche makes more cars in ONE YEAR than Ferrari has ever made. And THAT, My Friends, is a very special Club".

You can't compare the two.

5. Webby

Webby F1 Veteran

Sep 12, 2004
    I've never been to one of these and I haven't read the whole thread so bear with me... do you have to pay if you're not going to race, just to watch? And is there even any point in going if you're just going to watch or should I just have fun somewhere else?

6. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Watching is free and can be fun since they have a bar/restaurant on the 2nd floor from where you can overlook the whole track. Also there is a big arcade with cool games including a 355 Challenge with 3 monitors.

Of course nothing beats participating in the 3 qualifying plus (if you make the cut) the final race. That would set you back $ 80 payable to me. 3 spots left.

7. BOYRACER

BOYRACER Karting

May 9, 2004

What you forget to mention is that first of all I entered not knowing that every one of you had no track experience. Second, I am not the fastest driver in the world where you guys are making this huge deal about me coming out and being a professional. You guys are making it seem like Michael Schumacher came out and gave a spanking to local karting boys(even though I am flattered that is not the case). From what it sounded like most of you had been to chicago indoor racing at some point and seeing that chicago indoor racing is not a hard place to become fast at, I do not think my assumption that the competetion would be fun was too far off. If this was shifter karts or real racing cars(not 30mph go-karts) then you guys could have been upset that I came by and raced with you. But guess what when I race, people show up sometimes with cars that have 10 times what mine has invested and kick my ass but as much as its not fair I have a good time and do not complain about it. This was supposed to be fun and you guys got way out of hand with it. I heard someone even wanted to kick my ass(now I do not know if this is true so I will let it go away) and what sucks for you guys is the only thing I do about as good as racing cars is fighting. lol....

anyways I want to stress again that I was never wrong in showing up and assuming you guys had some track experience or some at CIR for that matter because I have raced at CIR when there are people from the public who happen to have no real racing background that run some very fast times.

8. BOYRACER

BOYRACER Karting

May 9, 2004

THANK YOU!!!!! I have one person who actually saw the race the way it went. Gilles you watched the race without being a part of it so you basically got a spectators view of the whole situation right???? Don't you guys think that he could have seen the race more clearly watching it impartially from the outside? Hopefully you guys understand what Gilles said and stop lying to yourselves. Some of the excuses I have heard about not doing well are lame and Gilles, mike, and the other mike seem to be the only ones who made up no excuses for the outcome of the race.

9. BOYRACER

BOYRACER Karting

May 9, 2004
    Bill,
    I am totally with you on the weight and kart thing...I raced overseas with a teammate that weighed 225 pounds. I weigh 170 pounds and some drivers were near 130 pounds so it was obvious that weight made a difference. OUr 225lb guy had a harder time setting fast laps in the car because of his weight and I can see where you are coming from. I think the best way to split a karting event at CIR is by weight(thats how they do leagues at CIR). With that being said, I did offer to start in the back of the pack and to say that CIR is my "home track" is kinda crazy cause every one of you could have gone to CIR and driven once or twice(some actually had a couple of times).

As for P-cars vs F-cars on the track. Ferrari's are some of the sexiest vehicles on the face of the planet, they look great, sound great and define the term exotic, but whether or not porsches are mass produced, porsches are the more track orientated vehicles(set the cayenne aside). I will argue it to my grave, so if you disagree lets just agree to disagree. The PCA guys are simply more hardcore that the FCA guys and that is a pretty well known fact among track junkies. But having said that I lust for a ferrari!

Overall you guys need to put a disclaimer up for your track events. telling people with experience not to show up because like I stated there are a lot of fast drivers in this area who will come out and do the same thing I did and probably with less caution and probably not as clean.

10. BOYRACER

BOYRACER Karting

May 9, 2004

yes but what does that have to do with the two companies tracking abilities?????? I agree ferraris are more exclusive but how does one being produced more make them lesser track cars???? So Bugatti is a better track orientated company than ferrari because ferrari makes more ferraris in one year than buggati has ever made? Do you see how the arguement does not relate to the track?

11. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Come on RACER,
    I never complained about my placement, or said anything like the reason I didn't win or place higher was your fault. I'm not making excuses for anything, (mumbling) other than I spot everybody about 100+ lbs and have to be folded like oragami to get into the *&^%$#@ kart. :( LOL !

Some here got a bit overheated, I think you have also, it's not that big of a deal.
    Like I said, it was meant to be a fun event, not necessarily an all out competition.

Well, there are those that do live within a reasonable proximity of CIR for practice, but considering it would be a 100+ mile round trip for me, and I don't have a lot of time to spend on relaxation and fun unfortunately, that seems a bit unlikely in my case. As you know, I was still at my office at 1AM the other night.

What I meant to get across is that, yes, there are more P-Car track people, because there are a lot more P-cars. There are a number of hard-core f-car trackers, but by the numbers, they are much less visible. Percentages of total owners, I don't know, but I don't think you have the cold hard data either.

Something like that might be good idea Max, really, a notice simply stated that this is a fun event, not serious competition. I personally don't think it's necessary to exclude the more experienced, but by virtue of their exceeding skill they shouldn't need to play NASCAR on the track.

As you stated somewhere earlier, you were two laps ahead of the pack, where's the need for the 10/10ths in that moment.

Regards,
    Bill

12. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I owned two Porsche 911s before this car. So wouldn't that make me a P-Car guy??

How about '06 Nissan Altima......Sugar River.......Doing autocross. I plan on doing that this year in the "G" class. (I think it is G class)....

Ha!! You said to name it....

Otherwise, like I said, I am going to be getting a 125 shifter this summer and running it at the local tracks (RA, Blackhawk, Badger, etc.) That would be a possibility too.....

13. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I feel like I have been kicked in the groin.........by another man!!!

That was a low blow that I didn't see coming!!! ;-)

14. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill

Those aren't vans. Those are pickup trucks with campers!! A Nebraska SUV....

15. BOYRACER

BOYRACER Karting

May 9, 2004

Bill I was not driving 10/10ths. 10/10ths and you guys would have gone nuts about aggressiveness. I never end up going 10/10ths at CIR because its simply not the enviornment for that.

Huskerbill...Like I said before, altima, shifter kart, porsche, ferrari whatever you want....as long as it has 4 wheels and it powered by a motor the race is on. I could care less if its an autox or not, but for the sake of it not being a complete blowout you might want to not make the event at any of the local car tracks(Road America, Blackhawk, G-man, Autobahn etc)...lol

16. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill

I gotta say one thing...you are one cocky dude when it comes to racing. You mentioned fighting before. If there is one thing I have learned, it's that there is always someone out there better. I thought I could fight too, until I started boxing years ago. It taught me that I would have gotten my tail kicked by a LOT of guys before I truly learned HOW to fight. Hell, I know I STILL can't fight when I look over and watch Eric Morel hitting the bags. There's always someone better.

It taught me that there was a LOT I didn't know. It was kind of funny, cause the more I learned and the better I got, the happier I was that I had never come across someone who DID know what they were doing back in the day.

Take one of the trainers at the gym. He's 50-something years old. Honest to God, if he would have wanted to throw down before I knew him, I would have taken him up on it in a heartbeat. And he would have knocked me out cold. No doubt. I have been hit by this guy in the ring before and he still brings it. And, you know what?? This "50 year old" is the same 50 year old that has fought Tyson, Foreman, Corrie Sanders, etc. You would NEVER guess it, even by seeing him. But there he is on ESPN Classic fighting Tyson every now and then. And he could STILL whoop me.... No joke.

My point?? That you have never raced me. Never met me. Yet, you assume it would be a "blowout" if I pick ANY car or ANY local track.

I'm just waiting for the line, "There ain't nothing I can't do in a racecar."

17. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Hey Max,
    10/10th's, 9/10th's, 3/10th's whatever, it was just an expression.

BTW, I don't have a problem with confidence, not yours or anybody else's, it takes confidence to be good. You have to believe, that's totally OK, but pissing matches are only pissing matches, the proof is in the act. No need to talk it up, just do the walk.

Off topic warning.....
    <rant>
    There are too many people in the world talkin' big these days, 90lb rappers and such putting on the tough, teaching kids the "right" way to live. Wonder why so many are getting shot and killed? Pissing matches, talking big, talking tough. Thinking that's enough to get by, enough to get you tail out of a hot situation. WRONG!
    </rant>

YES, There is always someone better, faster, bigger, smarter, richer, badder, tougher, meaner and on.....

18. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Are they are going to throw corn-cobs? Spit chaw? Toss cow chips? Throw Catbees? :D

Just kidding, couldn't resist.

19. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    My guess is that they will spit blinding chaw through the gaps in the teeth.....

20. BOYRACER

BOYRACER Karting

May 9, 2004

Husker....you neglect to read all of my posts I guess because I did say I have got my BUTT kicked so many times in races. I said this in more than one post. I never said I was the best and even mentioned times where I got my ass handed to me by drivers all over the world. Secondly, you called me out first about racing me and that "I would be the one breaking a helmet." You then edited your post late at night so no one could see what you initially said. So do not get off thinking I was the one being cocky first because it was actually you.

Second, I have trained for 17 years now and have had my butt kicked in all different martial arts tourneys. As a second degree blackbelt who also has trained in kick-boxing and jiu jitsu I know that there is someone ALWAYS better out there. Hell, I had the pleasure of meeting UFC heavyweight champ Andrei Arlovski a little while ago and I would never dream of being like him, but all I said was one thing I do about as well as racing is fighting. That is all....someone was talking about kicking my ass and I made my comment. That being said...I proved to be a fast driver and people know that. If you ever meet me in person you would know that I am a pretty humble person who does not talk big on the track. I simply show up and drive, but if I am going to have people talk crap to me on the forum I will step out and defend myself. So remember husker you opened the can of worms up first the other night when you made the post about smoking me......you just decided to edit it before other people saw the crap you were talking.

21. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Confirmed racers:
    Mike Z.
    Mike's friend
    Richard
    Richard's friend
    Daryl
    Rick
    F1 Frank
    Bob
    Dave (T2)
    Haley
    Chelle
    Billiam
    Rocketboy
    Katie
    Dave B.
    Andreas

Now I'm actually very interested in the Husker-Boyracer shootout. Please keep us posted when you figure out when and where. I'll bring a cool trophy for the winner, promise.
    I haven't seen Huskerbill racing, but I have seen Boyracer, so my money is on him.

22. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    What, no Catbees??? What's Nebraska coming to?

23. BOYRACER

BOYRACER Karting

May 9, 2004
    smart bet!

24. MikeAR303

MikeAR303 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I'll race the winner ;)

25. BOYRACER