430 - GogglesPisano's F430 Ownership Journey | Page 4 | FerrariChat

430 GogglesPisano's F430 Ownership Journey

Discussion in '360/430' started by GogglesPisano, Feb 14, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GogglesPisano

GogglesPisano Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 13, 2022
    East Bay, California
    Full Name:
    Joe
    A while back, I managed to snag some OEM interior CF parts from Freddan. Planning on swapping over slowly as time permits on the weekends but had a chance to jazz it up a bit. When I got the parts, there were surface imperfections from being out in the sun or age or whatever plagues these things. I decided to wet sand the parts down and polish them back up. Man, what a difference. I was able to sand out all of the imperfections and it polished up nicely with a three stage system and my little ryobi dremel tool. Went through hell to figure out the best combo though. First with my mini polisher that was still to big for the small curves, then a large buffer which almost destroyed the parts, then by hand which didn’t get the sanding out enough, to finally the magic combo with a small felt wheel and some wet compounds.

I had a spare aluminum dash panel I ended up doing a brushed finish on to throw on at the end. I feel like the CF panel is a bit too much so this finished it off a bit nicer I think.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Franklin Park, New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    Bold! But it came out beautiful!

CoreyNJ and GogglesPisano like this.
  3. GogglesPisano

GogglesPisano Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 13, 2022
    East Bay, California
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Finally had time to install my CF goodies over the weekend. Still waiting on the console part, but ran short of time anyway. This is where I'm sort of breaking off from OEM specs so apologies in advance for anyone that doesn't sanction modifications.

Install was straight forward my switches fit especially tight and one of the vents. Had to do some filing down in areas so they would snap in properly. Took the time to separate out the inner ring from the vents and get rid of the silver (as is my quest throughout) and paint some parts satin black. This was quite an adventure in disassembly. I did the same for the HVAC dials. It's clear these parts were not meant to be disassembled. I was impressed to learn the knobs are aluminum and not plastic. I was originally surprised about my factory dash parts being aluminum as well. I feel like this should have been showcased more instead of just painting them.

My window button surrounds were scratched slightly. I thought this was going to be an easy clean off with alcohol as the rest of the stick parts. Unfortunately, these have a particularly thick layer of rubberized coating on them that DOES NOT come off with the traditional means. Since I had already messed them up, decided on a sand down, followed by wet sand, then polish to make them gloss black. Matches my stereo now.

Oh, I also found some shoddy work while I was in there. My window switches were replaced previously at a dealership as part of some sticky button fixes. They used the wrong screws in some parts and left other parts loose or not tightened all the way. And by wrong, I don't mean they didn't use the same screw that was there. I mean they used coarse thread screws where machine screws go on one side and a fastener that was too long on the other. Both had torque paint marks so I can only assume the areas they came from have the wrong screws too. The CF parts used different hardware so I was able to correct everything.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    Wow. Just realized this. Someone ordered your car with the $7500 Bose stereo upgrade but literally no carbon fiber in the interior not the even the basic carbon driving zone package !!!! Or did you add the Bose “amp” cradle later?

5. GogglesPisano

GogglesPisano Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 13, 2022
    East Bay, California
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Nope, you are correct. Maybe they weren't a fan of carbon? I mean, I'm not a huge fan, but I like it over the silver.

6. GogglesPisano

GogglesPisano Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 13, 2022
    East Bay, California
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Also, what's really weird is that my gauge hood is vinyl, not leather. Not sure if was repaired at one point from shrinking. Plus, the stitching colors on the dash are blue and black.

7. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    Joe, looks totally fantastic! Night and day (light and dark), seriously though, Orders of magnitude cooler and nice doing all the fixes along the way, I find that happens to me all the time.

Went to bleed through brakes, had to make a cover gasket....no job it seems goes without some TLC required.

Just a thought, a pic of mine (assuming it's OEM), I think your dash hood is not OEM, the stitching doesn't look right. The threads looks too short and more layers? Hope this is not unwelcome information.

Attached Files:

8. GogglesPisano

GogglesPisano Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 13, 2022
    East Bay, California
    Full Name:
    Joe
    not unwelcome at all. It’s my assumption that someone repaired it a while ago otherwise I don’t know why Ferrari would have put this one solitary piece in vinyl instead of leather.
    Doesn’t matter though, it’s all getting redone when I do my dash out project.

LorenzoR, armedferret and colorfull like this.
  9. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    I heard about this, I think I'm gonna be after the person after you :D

Anyway, your interior looks sweet!

GogglesPisano and armedferret like this.
  10. jerbear27

jerbear27 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 12, 2022
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    It really wasn’t too bad. Hardest part for me was cutting the urethane for the windshield that was “locking” the dash in by the a-pillar. The video on YouTube was a huge help.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    I can confirm for comparison that mine is factory stitching...

BTW: You guys are making me miss my car more... Apparently still waiting on parts to complete my service.

12. modificator

modificator Formula Junior
    Regional Sponsor Rossa Subscribed

Apr 12, 2020
    Florida
    Full Name:
    George
    Very nicely done! Congrats! Are those CF parts coming from a factory with any coating (like clear coat, UV protection or whatever) and should they be sprayed with something after polishing, or is it best to leave them just polished and not spray with anything?

13. GogglesPisano

GogglesPisano Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 13, 2022
    East Bay, California
    Full Name:
    Joe
    they’re OEM parts. I don’t think they have any additional coating besides the clear coat but that’s just my assumption. You bringing that up though makes me think I should probably get one of those wipe on I’ve protectors they make for headlights after you polish them.

modificator likes this.
  14. modificator

Apr 12, 2020
    Florida
    Full Name:
    George
    I've googled the topic now (I actually have a bunch of very worn out CF parts waiting for restoration and installation) and looks like new CF is either "clear coat" or "gel coat" which makes me think that if clear coat, a lot of polishing will remove clear coat so maybe a new clear coating is also needed. In any case 3M seems to have a good article on restoration and protection:

https://3dproducts.com/blogs/how-to-articles-tips-and-best-practices/how-to-restore-protect-and-maintain-carbon-fiber

GogglesPisano and colorfull like this.
  15. GogglesPisano

GogglesPisano Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 13, 2022
    East Bay, California
    Full Name:
    Joe
    That article is a good read. I think the focus is more on exterior cf as that is exposed to the elements more so than an interior part but with a spider, mine are definitely bombarded by UV.
    I wonder if this product would be a good solution.

16. modificator

Apr 12, 2020
    Florida
    Full Name:
    George
    I've been using this very product on headlights for years but for another reason. I think it's rather useless as a clear coat protector unless it's re-applied every few months or more often. Maybe that's what's needed for CF, with frequent applications. But it's great as a final step for headlight refinishing after all the sanding and polishing, it covers up the very light leftover dullness for a clear glass-like finish.

17. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    I've been using the equivalent Sonax product for UV protecting my headlights, and it does need to be reapplied (depending on use).

It did put a really smooth coat on the headlights.

18. GogglesPisano

GogglesPisano Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 13, 2022
    East Bay, California
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Well, I did a dumb this morning. I have these aluminum plates on my driveway to bridge the drainage dip that runs down the street. I usually back out and sometimes lightly scuff. I did the same this morning but caught one of the bolts that hold the plates down on the back of the scrap armor. I guess I did a good job installing that because it ripped the passenger side of the bumper out and down. I didn't even realize until I got to work. I thought I only messed up the center splitter which was detached slightly. Work mate came in and asked "what happened to your Farrari?!" I immediately knew I had missed something as I only walked around from the driver's side. Sure enough, the entire passenger side was pulled down. I tried pulling it back up but it's clear some brackets have been bent.

Now I have to make time to take the bumper off and figure out what's going on. Days like these I envy you guys with a five car garage.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    Damn Joe, totally sucks

20. DutchFerrari

DutchFerrari Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2022
    Bollenstreek - Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Jeroen
    Damn that sucks, maybe a frontlift system as a future mod?

21. jerbear27

jerbear27 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 12, 2022
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    That sucks. After you get it apart, hope it doesn’t take much to make it right.

22. GogglesPisano

GogglesPisano Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 13, 2022
    East Bay, California
    Full Name:
    Joe
    It was on my short list but I think it just got moved to the front. I need to find one that works with the factory dampening control. The only "kit" is the KW system and they require deactivation of the stock dampening for some reason. They were not able to answer why when I emailed them, only referring me to Novitec who apparently designed the system. Zero response from Novitec.

Wondering why I can't just add on the raising pucks on the stock setup and piece meal my own compressor, etc ala this kit: https://iliftsystems.com/product/universal-ilift-suspension-lift-system/

Admittedly, I'm not a suspension expert so this could be as silly question.

23. GogglesPisano

GogglesPisano Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 13, 2022
    East Bay, California
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Hope so too. Definitely hear some crunching when I lift on the bumper so some fiberglass was compromised somewhere. Fortunately, I got my blackbelt in fiberglass while restore a 70's camper for the past three years :D Anything metal, I'm pretty good at bending straight with a hammer.

jerbear27 likes this.
  24. azzurribaggio

azzurribaggio Formula Junior

You drive your Ferrari to work?

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

25. GogglesPisano

GogglesPisano Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 13, 2022
    East Bay, California
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Yes. I like to enjoy it at least once a week.

Kerwind and armedferret like this.