Going to Ferrari factory, food question | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Going to Ferrari factory, food question

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by italiafan, Feb 2, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I would do Cavallino as you are there. The food is so so ... and the service - less so. however if you order right - the food is good...its just basic. Mr. Ferrari liked food -but was not a gourmande.

Montana is more fresh quality local etc.. better food and there is a lot of history on the walls. at Cavallino it's just that is where Enzo spend his days.... and its an iconic place. so its hard to pass up.

Lunch at Cavallino and then dinner montana is the way to go. drink lambrusco, and have the tortellini and then a steak -keep it simple and you'll like the food.

2. The Singer

The Singer Karting

Feb 10, 2016
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Has anyone had a bite at Pizzeria La Bufula in Maranello? Is it worth a visit?

3. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Excellent Neopolitan style pizza.

4. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    If you want excellent food with Ferrari racing atmosphere, go to Montana. But they are both (Cavallino and Montana) for tourists and quite expensive. A "true" simple and cheap restaurant is Trattoria Muzzarelli, where Enzo Ferrari usually went for lunch, up on the hills 8 km after Maranello towards Serramazzoni.
    Enzo never went to Montana and didn't like the Cavallino too much, while liked very much the food and quietness of Muzzarelli

Ciao

5. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Sorry to disagree. If Montana is considered expensive then I really don't understand the world anymore. I guess it's all relative.

Marcel Massini

6. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #31 Albert-LP, Feb 4, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
    We are talking about restaurant we have in Maranello, not Venice nor Capri nor Portofino nor Florence nor Milano. Maranello is a very cheap place, the Montana (where I had lunch and dinner many times) is the most expensive together with Cavallino. Opera02, Muzzarelli and most of the others are much cheaper.

A very good restaurant is Retrógusto, a new restaurant there is at Villa Maranello hotel, 100 m from the factory. That's the No.1 restaurant in Maranello today. Not more expensive than Montana.

Not far from Maranello, there is Pasticcino restaurant: Pasticcino was the nickname of the Ferrari racing dept most famous chef, that now has his own restaurant.

Ciao

7. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    One of the top restaurant we have not far from Maranello, more or less 10 km, a fantastic location with superior food quality, in Castelvetro: Il Cappero alle Mura restaurant
    Il Cappero alle Mura

8. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Another excellent restaurant, in Formigine 800 years old Castle, just 5 km from Maranello towards Modena: Il Calcagnino restaurant.

GalleriaGallery | Il CalcagninoIl Calcagnino

None of these restaurant is more expensive than Montana

9. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
  10. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
  11. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Alberto

I have been visiting Maranello and Modena, since 1977, for forty (40!) years every single year, many many times and I know the region pretty well. Naturally if you chose one or two bottles of 200 Euro/bottle red wines on top of the truffles and food etc then it all gets a bit more costly.

But I really consider Montana NOT expensive, not at all.

PS: Have you been to the Clinica Gastronomica Arnaldo Aquila d'Oro in Rubiera?

PS2: If you like fish/seafood go to Mikele (ex William) at Via Flavio Gioia 1 in Maranello.

Marcel Massini

12. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #37 Albert-LP, Feb 5, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
    Hi Marcel, I appreciate a lot your knowledge of our territory: you just write correct things and opinions and I could'nt agree more.
    Yes I know very well Arnaldo restaurant: we had had lunch there with another couple last sunday. It's my favourite place where to eat. It costs less than Montana.
    I live here since 1962 (when I was born) and I like having lunch and dinner at restaurants, so I know something about restaurants, even if there are so many that you cannot know everything, of course.
    An amazing thing is to read here that someone here from Colorado (!!) knows the Opera02 restaurant (that is really a lovely place where to eat, fantastic location) that is hidden on the hills near Castelvetro.

Here we share our opinion and increase our knowledge, so every opinion is welcome and sometimes I even learn more about what there is around here from Fchatters that live on on the other side of the earth! Trust me that the Montana (a great place where to go) hasn't an excellent quality/price ratio as Arnaldo (a must here) or as Muzzarelli (another must for Ferrari enthusiast and very cheap. Not many even know that Enzo Ferrari very often had lunch there.

I Like VERY MUCH Montana (but not the Cavallino), but it's (now) a bit worse as quality/cost ratio: Arnaldo is ten times better. This is just my opinion of course. I don't like fish too much, so I just go to fish restaurant to fulfil my wife taste and we never went in the Maranello area to eat fish: we usually go to Garda lake or Mantova to eat fish: Ristorante All'Ancora at Roverbella (MN) or Ristorante La Colomba at Desenzano. For example at Desenzano there is also the two stars Esplanade Restaurant: four/five times the price than La Colomba, but not that difference in what you eat and you pay for (I prefer La Colomba even if they would cost the same).

Your opinion are always welcome, don't worry!

We can meet at Muzzarelli or at Arnaldo, when you will be here again: it would be apleasure for me to meet you!

ciao

13. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    Alberto,
    Grazie per i suggerimenti eccellenti.
    It is always a treat to find the hidden gems the local experts know!
    Forse ci incontreremo a Maranello presso un giorno.
    Saluti,
    Davide

14. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Another one is a very local one:
    Trattoria Barchetta at Via Magnagallo Est 20 in Campogalliano (close to Carrozzeria Cremonini in Lesignana).

And really superb is Ristorante Caminetto di Massimo della Casa & C. s.a.s. at Via Martiniana 240 in Modena (in Baggiovara and near UNA Hotel).

Marcel Massini

15. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
  16. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    And while you are there you MUST visit Tappezzeria Andrea & Stefania MAIELI, the very best leather upholsterer for classic Ferraris:

www.interniautomaieli.com

They are in nearby Canedole di Roverbella and can be highly recommended.

Marcel Massini

17. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    You are Amazing, Marcel

I'm a Maieli customer since several years: I Know them very well.

At present they are doing several works for me.

Ciao

18. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Why not! For me it's always a big pleasure to meet other enthusiasts that come from another nation to see our motor valley

Let's stay in contact

Ciao

19. Zaius

Zaius Formula Junior

May 8, 2014
    Entire place has turned into a circus of low brow tourism led by Americans and Asians.

20. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
  21. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #46 Albert-LP, Feb 5, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
    Maranello without Ferrari and the "low brow" tourism is dead. We are very grateful to anyone that wants to come here and visit us. And we are honored that all the world likes to come here to visit our motor valley: really honored. This gives us the possibility to know many foreign enthusiasts and gives a work to many people here.

And, above all, we are honored that so many foreigners like the cars (and bikes too) we produced and still are producing here.

So: Welcome to every enthusiast, poor, rich, blue collar, red neck, white collars, sultans, emperors, kings, common people, black, yellow, white and red skins.

Ciao

G. Pepper likes this.
  22. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Well said, and thank you for the welcoming attitude.
    I have never been to Italy and this trip is going to be a dream come true!
    Ever since I was a young boy I have dreamt of visiting the Ferrari factory, now I can do so as an owner of several Ferraris.
    I will walk around Maranello/Modena with a permanent smile on my face!
    :)

23. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Thanks: When you will come here to visit Ferrari, please don't forget to tell me when and where I can meet you.

Ciao

24. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    +1

Very nicely said!

25. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Modena, Museo Casa Enzo Ferrari: more history there. But manage to see both: Maranello one is very fast to visit, Modena requires more time

ciao