Going to Ferrari factory, food question | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Going to Ferrari factory, food question

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by italiafan, Feb 2, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #51 Albert-LP, Feb 5, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
    +1.

Not true, of course, but Cavallino it's not a place where to eat, unless you want to say "I had a lunch there!". It's something you have to see (at least from outside), but better eating in another typical Italian restaurant (there are many around there), or, if you want to invest some money, please consult Michelin guide, choose one with a star or many forks and forget the Cavallino. Montana, Retrògusto, Il Cappero alle Mura, Arnaldo la Clinica Gastronomica, all of them are like the Bears in Superbowl XX with the Patriots (46-10 and never a game) if compared to Cavallino. Muzzarelli Olga is my tip, but just on friday and saturday evening or saturday and sunday at lunch, so it's not suited for tourists: during the week it's opened just at noon and it's not soo good as in the weekend.

ciao

2. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    Alberto, thank you for your enthusiasm and for being such a good resource. The Emilia Romagna region should put you on their list as a true ambassador of the area and all things Ferrari. It is funny, the cars are amazing, but the people are even better!

Forza Ferrari!

3. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    You are exagerating, but I'm very pleased of your words: thank you very much.

If I could have an hobby all day long, for half a day every day I would like to tell and teach the stories about our motor valley and show the places where the legends started, moved and now still are. I know so many things about that, many of them even seen and lived in person... sometimes I think It's a pity not sharing all of them with other enthusiasts

ciao

4. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Yes! We loved that place.

5. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #55 Albert-LP, Feb 6, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    The owner at Retrogusto treated my family and kids like family.

+1 retrogusto

7. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Alberto, do you know the balsamico about 2 KM past Montana on the same road from Maranello? I don't know the name.

We visited it once several years ago, we love good balsamic vinegar and they are a consortium producer.

It was very interesting to visit and see the fermentation process.

8. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Home - Acetaia dei Bago

Try this one, top quality. At Vignola, a very lovely village very close to Maranello.

Here we have many excellent winegar producers. The best are the smallest and less known. Acetum is one of the biggest firm, but it's too big and most of its production are low quality.

Probably you were talking about Acetaia Estense.

Ciao

9. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Hi Alberto,

No, I found it, it's Azienda Agricola Rossi Barattini Formigine, Via Giardini Sud, 170, 41043 Formigine MO, Italy

Website is Balsamicodop

We were the only people visiting that day, it was special.

I only buy Consortium Produced Balsamic vinegar now, it's all I trust.

10. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    No question, Montana is the place to go to.

11. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Consorziati - Balsamico IGP

Please browse who is in the list and who is not in the Consortium

Ciao

12. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #62 ferraridriver, Feb 6, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi Alberto,

I'm confused, the Balsamic vinegar I buy always comes in a bottle like this.

Are you saying there is another consortium?

On edit:

I just now saw this so I understand a bit more.

Balsamic Vinegar IGP differs from the traditional DOP because it can be produced from the must and wine vinegar (while the DOP only from the must) and has a minimum aging time in barrel of 2 months compared to the 12 years of the DOP
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #63 Albert-LP, Feb 7, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
    Hi Dave, here you are what I know.

First: I'm not a vinegar fan so I could say some wrong things.

second: DOP is better than IGP, just talking about where the product comes from.
    Prodotti tipici DOP e IGP: che differenza c?è? - Agriturist

DOP means everything comes from the zone where it's bottled. IGP means that just the process and techinicques/intruments come from the territory of bottling, while something could come from another place. More or less. IGP could have (an example) grapes coming from (an example) Verona instead of Modena. DOP just has grapes from Modena. Maybe the grapes from Verona are better than grapes from Modena, who knows: just because it's DOP doesn't mean it's better than an IGP vinegar. But usually DOP are better.

Acetaia dei Bago: my wife (a vinegar fan) says it's fantastic. We have many but many vinegar producers here, and many are very small and don't belong to any consortium.

As said, I don't like vinegar too much, so I'm not the right one to talk about that.

What I know is that the older the vinegar is, the better is.

Mass production vinegar firms (Polti, Acetum and so on) don't have the time to produce vinegar waiting for 10-20+ years as small producers do.

I personally know since long time one of the the owners of Acetaia dei Bago (they have DOP emblem too), and I know they do it in the best way possible. Maybe you would like to visit them during your next tour here.

http://www.acetaiadeibago.com/it/home-version-3/

ciao

PS
    The consortium doesn't mean anything related to the quality, it's just a consortium. It's not given by quality. DOP or at least IGP is what to look for if you are a foreigner and buy it online or in a your country mall. It doesn't care much if you are here and buy the vinegar where it's produced from people you know

14. Red Sled

Red Sled Formula Junior

Back on restaurants, Europa 92 (the Pavarotti one), just south of Modena city, is pretty decent too.

15. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
  16. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Not bad.

ciao

17. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #67 Albert-LP, Feb 7, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
    Antica Moka restaurant is the best if you want to invest much money in your dinner.
    https://www.tripadvisor.it/Restaurant_Review-g187803-d2372979-Reviews-Antica_Moka-Modena_Province_of_Modena_Emilia_Romagna.html

Osteria Francescana is the top (for the media, but not for me...) but the price is too much high in my opinion: too much is too much, whatever they give you.
    And it's something I don't like: I go to eat not to talk with the chef nor to say "I was there", but to eat with my friends.
    https://www.tripadvisor.it/Restaurant_Review-g187803-d1160010-Reviews-Osteria_Francescana-Modena_Province_of_Modena_Emilia_Romagna.html

Better three times at Montana that one time at Francescana, and by far.

My opinion is that Francescana is (also) a lot of smoke and marketing. Moka is better. And for a Ferrari enthusiast Montana is much better and much less expensive. Food quality is top for all three. Quality/price is with Quercia di Rosa and Arnaldo. Muzzarelli Olga is just a cheap restaurant, but still is at the top for what I'm looking for when I want to eat in the Maranello zone with my Ferrari

ciao

18. PantherMD

PantherMD Karting

Dec 14, 2016
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    David G
    TY Albert. We are scheduled for factory tour in July. Probably spend 1 and 1/2 day there. Trying to plan best schedule for those days sights and dining. All input appreciated.

19. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    There's a huge amount of information already in this thread

Then there's all the other factory tour threads (try a search on 'Montana' to get to many of them)

20. PantherMD

PantherMD Karting

Dec 14, 2016
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    David G
    TY will continue searches. Read through entire thread. Trying to prioritize info as there are enough restaurants and sights listed to last more than a week

21. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    #71 arizonaitalian, Jun 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2017

I've only been once (last year), so here is my take from that trip and from reading everything I could find here from more knowledgeable folks:

Priorities:

1. Tour and museum in maranello right next to tour location.
    2. The museum in Modena.
    3: Eat = Montana

Bottom line, I would not put anything above these 3 items nor would I miss any of these three.

After that, lots of variation...

My brother and I did 1.5 days. So did two dinners at Montana and one lunch at cavalino right after our tour (since you are standing right in front of it). Also the Lamborghini tour or perhaps only a quick museum visit will also fit in 1.5 days (we did the museum quickly for an hour on the way out of the area).

22. PantherMD

PantherMD Karting

Dec 14, 2016
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    David G
    Great. Thank you @arizonaitalian.

23. umsneeze

umsneeze Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
  24. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    All this talk is making me hungrier than I already am! (I'm fasting :))

25. wahoo5

wahoo5 Karting

Nov 9, 2009
    Richmond, VA
    Full Name:
    David
    #75 wahoo5, Jun 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
    I was there two weeks ago tomorrow. The Ferrari factory tour is amazing. I enjoyed the F1 shop and the Corse Clienti area as much as the factory itself. Buy any souvenirs in the Ferrari store across from the factory entrance after the tour. You get a 20% discount with the tour badge.

If you can only do one museum, do the one in Maranello. The F1 cars in a semicircle are amazing.

I agree wth the comments that Montana is better than Cavalino, but I would still do both. We could not get reservations for Osteria Francescana.

I didn't see anyone else mention the Pagani factory. We went with a last minute reservation when we had some spare time. I really enjoyed it as well. It is very different than the Ferrari factory - much smaller, less mechanization, and a less formal tour.

All in all, an amazing experience.

David