Going to Ferrari factory, food question | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Going to Ferrari factory, food question

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by italiafan, Feb 2, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    In the Piazza San Marco in Venice years ago last time I was there, there was a place advertising itself as serving American Breakfast. As much as I love Italian food their version of breakfast has never really grown on me, aside from the coffee anyway. So I went one morning. Whoever made breakfast was either an American or spent a lot of time here. The food was just like you'd get in any very good American diner from sea to shining sea.

McDonalds??? Eeeek. Just say no. And they seem to be very popular there. Go figure. Last time I was in Rome there was one right across the piazza from Trevi fountain. That was a crime all by itself.

2. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    That's true about the breakfast. I don't eat breakfast but my wife has to have a full breakfast and except for England it seems most European countries don't do it like America (except for the hotels that cater to Americans).

3. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Go to Schedoni's attic and convince Simone to crack open a cask.

Albert-LP likes this.
  4. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    My wife and I have been there, what a fantastic treat!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Crowndog likes this.
  5. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Italy has such great food, why would you go to McDonalds?
    Venice has turned into a tourist trap! I also had a so so meal there!

6. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I read they are thinking about banning the cruise ships, and Cinque Terre is also possibly banning them. Let's hope so.

7. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    I stayed over night in Venice at a Bed and etc. After 7pm It was real nice and calm! We stayed in a small apartment. In a back alley, I saw a women shoe maker teaching an apprentice making custom shoes. It was not an open shop. Watched thru a window, no signs or anything. She refused me taking a photo. I honored her request.

tomc likes this.
  8. Borrow’d Mine

Borrow’d Mine Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2019
    Florida
    Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Crowndog likes this.
  9. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I believe that the ban on cruise ships is about damage caused by the wakes. The city is in peril with rising sea levels. I believe also that there is quite an issue over tourism which is vital to their economy vs unintended consequences of the wakes the big ships make. This issue has been going on ever since the first cruise ship terminal was planned.

Nospinzone likes this.
  10. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I think all you need is the VIN on your Ferrari.

11. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I understand, however I disagree. He is showing Italians how to cook better - intense flavors and more artistic food. he's refining Italian Cuisine and for what ever reason that is not well accepted in Italy. one of the best meals I've ever had was in San Miniato during truffle season... in a small inn... only 15 tables, one server and she was spectacular. the food was amazing and very flavorful... and the cost for 7 of us was about e150. At Bottura's he serves you amazingly beautiful food, impeccable surroundings and the service is top class.... e825. the difference is at Bottura's place I had 11 courses & wine per course at Miniato 2 courses and some wine. ... both were great but I was paying for the art at Bottura... and was paying for history at Miniato.

12. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    You are the man with the 612 and the Schedoni luggage. Leslie with the FCA is my other half.

13. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yes I am. I met Leslie for the first time at this event. What a lovely woman, and I was impressed by all the work she does!

14. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Ah, the wakes, that makes sense for Venice. I know for Cinque Terre it is the sheer crush of tourists.

15. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Some restaurant in Modena area I recomend:

la clinica gastronomica da Arnaldo at Rubiera (20 km from Maranello, one Michelin star, old tradition, my 1st choice)

la quercia di Rosa at Modena (15 km from Maranello, a nice villa with garden and vinegar production)

il cappero alle mura at Castelvetro (12 km from Maranello, in a lovely old village)

il Calcagnino at Formigine (5 km from Maranello, head for Montana and then keep straight 4 km, in a lovely old castle in the mid of a village)

Retrogusto at Maranello (200 meters aside the historic gate of the Ferrari Factory, you don't even have to cross the road, top food)

Restaurants I recomend to avoid:

La Francescana at Modena, 15 km from Maranello (it costs as much as all the others together and - in my opinion- doesn't worth the half of Arnaldo)

Just my opinion, of course

ciao

kenguru likes this.
  16. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Porto Venere is one of the best places in the world!

ciao

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Nospinzone likes this.
  17. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Looks fantastic!

18. Borrow’d Mine

Borrow’d Mine Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2019
    Florida
    Appreciate your knowledge and help! Will be staying in Bolgna and visiting both on June 30 and July 1st. Can't. My second trip to Italy, first to Maranello/Modena. The Italian people were amazing everywhere we went last time. Never felt more welcome anywhere than in Italy.

ago car nut likes this.
  19. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Thankyou, Italy is a very nice and friendly country to visit. It's full of fantastic places and the best in the world as art, history, cars and food

Ciao

Rifledriver likes this.
  20. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    I would also add https://www.drakemaranello.com/ in Maranello local to the factory.
    It is a restaurant and bar (hotel too FWIW) but the food was very good and very reasonably priced. The best fillet steak I have ever tasted.

Albert-LP likes this.
  21. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    Agreed on Arnaldo's, even on a monday night its packed and you need reservations.

If you feel like driving to Serramazzoni, try la Fontanina, great place, food excellent and you can eat your heart out for Euro 30.

Albert-LP likes this.
  22. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    You are right. Drake is ok, even if not at the level of the Others in the list. This said, 90% of Italian restaurants have excellent food, so you don't need a guide to eat a good meal. I would add Lo Smeraldo at Pozza di Maranello, Da Anna at Gorzano (close to Pozza di Maranello), Osteria di Via Giardini at Formigine, Opera 02 at Levizzano di Castelvetro, da Pasticcino at Castelnuovo Rangone, Trattoria Muzzareli Olga at Montagnana: but those are only the ones I know directly in Maranello area, there are many and many others.

ciao

MalcQV likes this.
  23. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I visited 2 days after the planes were flying again after 9/11. The streets and shops had American flags flying everywhere. In Venice the small walkways were dark there were so many American flags hanging out of windows. Signs everywhere declaring solidarity with America. In restaurants when they realized we were Americans we were given so many glasses and a few times bottles of wine with words of support over what had happened. The treatment we received from the Italians was mind blowing. I will never forget that. Great people.

When I came home I told that to an Italian coworker, Flavio. He threw his arms up and said "I told you, Italians love America".

ago car nut and Albert-LP like this.
  24. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Italians are warm welcoming people. I really enjoy visiting Italy!

Albert-LP and MalcQV like this.
  25. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    They are indeed.