Going to Order my First Ferrari - Portofino - Advice please!! | FerrariChat

Going to Order my First Ferrari - Portofino - Advice please!!

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by triplekg, Apr 17, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. triplekg

triplekg Rookie

Apr 17, 2018
    Hello!

Next week I am heading to the dealer to order my first Ferrari.
    I am no stranger to sports cars as I've had many (Many Corvettes, Z06, FType R, 911 and 911 Turbo, a Used 430).

I am after many years of working finally able to afford the Car I always wanted - a Ferrari. I always loved the California and thought it was just beautiful but the Portofino is on another level.

I have a couple questions - What are the "must have options". After building a few online I think I really only want the fender shields / logos and the reverse camera / sensors and possibly the screen on the passenger side. Maybe the Darker Rims.

Does Ferrari kill you with options like Porsche? I just took delivery of a 911 Turbo and had 30k of options on the car and now that the car arrived I think i wasted 15k on unnecessary options.

Does anyone know how much they charge for things like Shields, Passenger screen, parking sensors and camera, black rims, ......

Thanks!!

2. triplekg

triplekg Rookie

Apr 17, 2018
    oh also would add sports exhaust

3. Raydog9379

Raydog9379 Karting

Jan 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ray
  4. triplekg

triplekg Rookie

Apr 17, 2018
    ouch holy I thought Porsche was bad with options!!

5. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    I'd guess the must haves are the shields, electric seats, and carbon wheel with led's and magnaride (HS if it becomes available). If I were able to order one new I'd check every box I wanted reguardless of future value or lack thereof simply because were I specing one I'd want what I want.

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I don't think you have to be killed with options, Jennie and I optioned her California T smartly and it may have only been another $20-30k. After that point you will be buying a bunch of customized options you will get 0 on the dollar when you sell.

Not sure how many brand new sports cars you've ordered before, but make sure you are prepared for the depreciation. If you have the mindset it is going to happen then you'll be OK.

7. triplekg

triplekg Rookie

Apr 17, 2018
    thank you for the reply.
    Ive had a ton of sports cars but this will be the first Ferrari.

Electric Seats are power seats? Otherwise the are manual? Also Carbon Fiber with LED is the steering wheel?

8. Raydog9379

Raydog9379 Karting

Jan 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ray
    The std. seats should still be electric and I believe 8 way. Difference is the full elect. has heated seats, lumbar, and memory. Pretty much any Camry from 2010 has this for free minus the memory. Ferrari you pay...

The steering wheel is the Carbon w/ LED. Check out some pics, it's pretty cool. Lights come on to help w/ shift points. Why look down at the tach when you can see lights in front of your eyes. It's a Ferrari thing, roots in F1 racing. I thought it might be gimmicky too till I drove a car w/ it recently. Whatever Ferrari I buy is going to have that. Almost like the passenger display, something newish that is a Ferrari thing. Could prob. go either way on the passenger display, but with the option there... how many other cars out there have it? So if I'm spec'ing, I click that one too.

9. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    MagneRide is a definite must in my book. After that, get what you like. If it were me, I would order the full electric seats for the heating option (cranky old back! :D). The F-chat dogma is that Ferrari are hard sells if they do not have the shields. So, if you're planning on keeping it for only a few years - order those. Good luck on your order...T

rob lay likes this.
  10. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    The salespeople are pressured to sell at least $50k in options these days. Let us know after your visit to place your order.

11. triplekg

triplekg Rookie

Apr 17, 2018
    I dont think I need 50k in options. Looking at that list I could probably get away with 25k.

I live in Canada the car is supposed to start at 245 Can. I can handle 275 ish. I have a brand new 911 turbo as possible trade bait if i like the Portofino but I really need to love it because it is a definite downgrade in performance.

12. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    If your'e considering the comparative ownership of a Ferrari to a Porsche, I'd respectfully say that your heart's not into the ownership of a Maranello work of art, and your head is not understanding of what Ferrariste are. Certainly a 911 and a Portofino are two very distinctly different animals. I'd say the same to someone considering a Lamborghini or a McLaren. I'm not disparaging any of those three alternative cars, They are just very different, similar to liking a DaVinci versus a Warhol.

13. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Ferraris aren't the fastest, nor the most nimble but they are a pleasure to drive every time you get behind the wheel. There is something special about a Ferrari. If you like your Porsche more I sure wouldn't trade up to a Ferrari.

14. triplekg

triplekg Rookie

Apr 17, 2018
    I'm in a dilemma. If I want pure performance I still with the turbo. But I've always wanted a Ferrari and love the convertible and 2 small seats in back (I have 2 small kids). I'm almost over performance and I have a Corvette ZR1 incoming which will take care of that itch for me.

What I really want is a 488 but I can't afford one right now and I only buy new cars and wouldn't consider a used one.

I guess I'll go check out the Portofino next week then decide.

15. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    I see you mentioned a budget of $275k "ish". If you want my opinion, if you really prefer a 488, you can probably get a used one in that range. Also keep in mind that the future depreciation of a used 488 will be much less than a new Portofino; meaning that in two or three years, the 488 will be worth a lot more than the Portofino even though their prices may be quite similar now.

16. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I haven't regretted trading my 991tts for the Cali T HS. I have owned mine for over a year now and enjoyed driving my Cali T immensely. The Portofino should be even better than the Cali T HS and those extra two seats do make a difference. My 10 year old grandson fits fine in the back of my car.

17. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    One other consideration might be delivery period - my guess is you'd be looking at Spring 2020 best case based on comments in other threads - a 488 used or even new would be available far sooner

18. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    There are several used but new California T's at dealers. Really nice prices. Save money drive a modern Ferrari. My guess is you will move the Porsche to the back of the garage and the Ferrari will become the daily driver. I test drove a 911 Turbo S and thought it was an awesome car, but too smooth. I got back in my Ferrari to leave and wow. I realized I love driving the Ferrari. And you can track the California T. My guess is the California T would be 100k less right now.

19. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    In my case as former racer and track driver I don't like pretty and soft, that's what the Cali T was and the Portofino is. I traded the Cali T for the Porsche GT3 and the Porsche is EXACTLY the type of car I like. Most 911's might not be what I want, but the GT3 is a bad ass mean aggressive track car you can also drive around town. The Cali T was great as could go hard top or convertible and the back seat could fit our smallish daughter. I almost want to say the California/Portofino models are "chick" cars, but that's not 100% fair as 90% of even Ferrari people can't tell difference between a California and F12. The F12 is CERTAINLY not a chick car.

20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    pretty close to that. In 3 years the Cali T might only be another $20-30k less, but the Portofino will be $80k depreciated.

21. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Right it will be catching up. However, I disagree with the soft characterization of the Cali T. I would apply that to the Cali 30 and regular Cali. I had mine out on COTA in an open lapping session during the Ferrari Challenge and I think it handled better than my tts did. The car is very different in cornering that the Porsche was. It feels like it's more planted and that I can be more aggressive with the speed in the turns. Particularly in the big skid pad (16-18).

22. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    Yep. And that says nothing about the braking.

What I find interesting is most people talk about the cars performance, but if you ask about them driving it on the track, the answer is, "no way, it will cause it to deprecate too much. I don't even drive it in the rain".

Ferrari is n awesome care. The California T is incredible t drive - on the road or on the track.

23. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    I would agree that any of the California models weren't geared toward tracking. Not to say you can't track it but from the first time I rented one I sure enjoyed cruising in it. And it was very comfortable on the longer trips we take when in the Vegas area. It would be fair to say I personally might be just as happy with a Maserati Granturismo but I really like the hardtop convertible option with the California. I can't say as much for the convertible models of the Granturismo. Personally I don't like cloth convertible tops and I had to convince myself to even consider a California to begin with before I ever drove one. But that changed once I did drive one and as a result I have rented one several times since then.

I highly doubt I'll ever track a california if I ultimately ever get one. Heck even if I get a 430 I'll probably never track it but I will drive what ever I get quite a bit on the highway on weekend getaways and just driving enjoyment all together. Ultimately if your looking for a car to track I'm sure most everyone would be much happier with something other then a California or portofino especially comparing one to cars that have some serious track abilities. One thing I like more about the portofino is the claim of more leg room in the back seat area. The back seat is the major point of issue with my wife since only 3 of the 4 family members would be able to fit comfortably. Ultimately since this will be a play toy car my wife is leaving it up to me and I haven't fully decided yet but the California (specifically the Cali 30) is a very strong prospect. If it makes me a girly man I guess I can live with that lol.

24. triplekg

triplekg Rookie

Apr 17, 2018
    the post above about the 911 Turbo being too smooth is correct.
    I had a 2017 Corvette Z06. It was amazing. Loud, Brash and Fast. I could spin out the back end on demand. The Turbo is too controlled, too smooth but an amazing every day super car.

I just made an appointment to drive / check out the Portofino on Wedesday next week. I will make a decision then.

I will have no issue keeping the Turbo but If I love the Porofino I'm getting it.

25. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    M
    ake sure engine is warm, tires are warm and brakes are warm. Makes a huge difference with this car. Then push it.