going to philadelphia for the weekend.... | FerrariChat

going to philadelphia for the weekend....

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by ross, Jul 2, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    in a few weeks time.
    made reservations at morimoto and vera cucina.
    any other restaurant recommendations?
    whats the best philly cheese steak place?
    staying at the logan hilton - anything to watch out for around there?
    any car related events coming up ?

thanks

2. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Carry if you can.

bball16, Texas Forever and Viperjoe like this.
  3. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

For the best Philly steak sandwich I'd recommend Jim's on 4th & South or Tony Lukes on Front & Oregon. Geno's and Pat's (the traditional go-to for out-of-towners) are OK but and do offer more of the So. Philly vibe. If you have time there's an abundance of great museums in the area. And to italiancars point, prudent to carry if at all possible.

SCantera likes this.
  4. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    My son is interning there this summer.

He sent me pics from Morimoto , small dishes but aren't they always. I will be planning a trip there to try it out.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

VAF84 likes this.
  5. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Phila is a great town, we used to live in the Italian Market District.

Can’t go wrong with the restaurants on Waknut St.

Who has the best cheesesteak is the most frequently asked question from visitors.

We used to call it ‘big city, small town’ because you’d see the same people throughout the city,

You should be fine in Logan. Phila used to be a commuter town and would empty out at night, but I’m sure that’s changed now.

SCantera likes this.
  6. Sharknose

Sharknose Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2004
    Pennsylvania
    The Simeone Museum out near the airport, especially if you haven't been there before or lately.

Stand4x, 375+, SCantera and 6 others like this.
  7. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    This is a must visit.

8. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    If you can get into Suraya, Vernick Fish, or Vernick you'll be in great shape. And Barclay Prime has great steaks.

9. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i dont have a permit or a gun.
    but is it really that bad??
    is that a comment specific to the area of Logan?

10. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    No, it isn’t bad at all. Central Phila and the fringes (Italian Market for instance) you will be fine. Staying at Logan you can walk, taxi or take SEPTA wherever you want to go. I spent the better part of 10 years living and/or working there and never encountered a problem.

There are many things to do/see/explore while there. Just going for a weekend won’t give you enough time to see everything there is.

Have a great time there and let us know how you made out.

11. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    in what time frame? Just like visiting NY during Giuliani/Bloomberg was fine, now not so much.

Viperjoe likes this.
  12. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    I left for good in 2013, but have been back twice for long weekends.

Just like any city there are problems and you’ll encounter things you otherwise wouldn’t experience in the burbs. That’s most cities (even Tokyo has homeless).

But giving advice on this forum suggesting the poor guy pack a pistol around town is creating anxiety and not justified in my experience.

13. fedcoin

fedcoin Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 11, 2017
    You don't have to use deodorant up there either.

14. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Ironically, all the historic sites are overrun with Chinese tourists.

15. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    go to any major historical site in the world and it is overrun with Chinese Tourists. An ominous observation in 2018 while visiting Venice were the literal hordes of Chinese tourists swarming over Venice from massive Cruise Ships all wearing masks. I remember thinking this was something from a really bad B Movie plot.

Texas Forever likes this.
  16. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Nope he’s just a wimp. Every city has it bad sections. Go see Rocky statue do Rocky run and Liberty Bell

17. Mondog1

Mondog1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2006
    Philly burbs
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I’m in Philly, actually out in Devon(20 miles away). There’s no need to carry in Center City. I go into bad parts of Philly for work and can say that center city it fine to not carry. Going to West Philly, Kensington, Oak Lane, Strawberry Mansion is different. But there’s also no reason for you to be going there.

I’ve stayed at the Logan and it’s a very nice place it’s not that close to Rittenhouse Square area. There are closer hotels (4 Seasons at top of the Comcast Building) that offer just as nice amenities.

18. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I will repeat the recommendation for the Simeone Foundation Museum, one of the great racing car museums of the world. It's in an industrial area down by the airport but don't let that bother you. On Saturdays they often run a few of the cars in the collection on a small asphalt lot they have behind the museum.

Stand4x, 375+, colombo2cam and 3 others like this.
  19. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

No it really isn't that bad.

The notion that big cities, almost any big city, is inherently unsafe is fallacious.

Are there bad parts of town? Sure, but unless you're looking to score some drugs, well, you'll never go there.

Oh and I'd have to agree, https://tonylukes.com/

George Vosburgh and E60 M5 like this.
  20. colombo2cam

colombo2cam Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ted
    #20 colombo2cam, Jul 7, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
    375+ and E60 M5 like this.
  21. Mondog1

Mondog1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2006
    Philly burbs
    Full Name:
    Robert
  22. Level7

Level7 Karting

Dec 19, 2020
    PA
    Full Name:
    Level7
    I decided to take a quick family trip and check out some of the sites mentioned in this thread. Here are a few photos and quick comments. I will post the Ferrari photos separately and individually.

1. The Simeone Museum is very nice. It is just 10 minutes from the PHL airport, has free parking, and is located in somewhat of an industrial area. Admission is just $12.00 and the rare cars are spectacular. There were only a handful of people there when we arrived (Saturday late AM) and it is a great venue to spend 90 minutes.

2. We then drove to Geno's and Pat's. They are located about a 20 minute drive into South Philly in an ethnic part of town - Italian, Asian, and Spanish foods and shops. Geno's and Pat's sit across the block from one another. So, we tried both. I am personally not a big fan of the cheese steak and would comment that both were just a good as the other - no clear favorite. Parking is definitely tight with relatively narrow streets.

Attached Files:

colombo2cam likes this.