Going to the Air Force Museum | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Going to the Air Force Museum

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by UroTrash, Jan 4, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I like my chili with traditional things like beans and my favorite "japalenos."

2. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    I'm going to forget about this so please feel free to PM me.

Company HQ is in Dayton so I have spent some time there but not a lot. Give yourself time at that place. You could easily spend a whole day. I heard a Packard museum in the area as well. Have never made it out that way but worth a Google.

I don't remember food but I really don't recall anything special.

UroTrash likes this.
  3. todd6363

todd6363 Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2007
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Gatorrari, last shutdown had people in from NY and it was closed, so due diligence would be safe bet. I figure 2/3 days in AFM if you like to read + watching all the film clips they show in front of some of the planes + if you go to website and sign up- they will take you on tours of the plane's restoration facility.

Packard museum downtown + Dayton History @ Carillon Historical Park is a must see when my family comes to town. I would do Packard museum when they opened ( couple of hrs there, not that big) and then down the street to Carillon Park. They recently built and old time brewery on site and the beer & food is good. Carillon is 3-4 hrs (you tour at your own pace) and there are cars, trains, machinery invented here, etc. + some staff wear period clothing in the buildings and do demonstrations with things on display. Its where they hold the concourse show in Dayton.

Mama DiSalvios is great ( live 5 min away) can get very busy on the weekends, Troni's in Kettering is just as good. Pine club if you want a steak, The Pub downtown has good food but we tend to uber home when we go there for "dinner"

If you stay off I-675 near Fairfield mall, plenty of places to eat and AFM is right down the road.

UroTrash likes this.
  4. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Concours...

Do you know when it is?
    Planning a trip, ... interested.

5. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    donv, wrxmike, islerodreaming and 3 others like this.
  6. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    It did. Hanging up high.

7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Have not been there since they put in the new building. Looks like some real interesting exhibits. Love the YF-23, which looks like what the NGAD may turn out for the manned part.

8. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Quite a few new drones and demonstrator aircraft. Including the Northrop Tacit Blue which can be partially seen behind the LH stab of the YF-23.

9. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Tacit Blue was in Building 3 last time I was there. I worked with the museum to get the X-40A there as an exhibit.

10. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Wasn’t the YF-23 really better than the YF-22?

jcurry likes this.
  11. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Stealthier but not as maneuverable and easy to fly. Fly-off pilots preferred the YF-22 generally.