Gold Wheels | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Gold Wheels

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by Peter K., Nov 19, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    When will you be painting your wheels? :)

2. P300V8

P300V8 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2010
    London U.K.
    The campys are away being done. The replicas will remain silver for the time being...

3. Olivier NAMECHE

Olivier NAMECHE F1 Veteran

Aug 18, 2007
    CANADA
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    #53 Olivier NAMECHE, Mar 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I believe there is a difference in code between CAMPAGNOLO vs OZ...

I post a CAMPAGNOLO and you show an OZ rim, why not consiering both paints are original...

Let's come back to fundamental source : JM Borel's Countach book, page 80 the car pic show CAMPAGNOLO and for a period pic it demonstrates a similar paint to RAL1036 Perlgold Met.

while the one used on OZ seems more clear as you mentionned
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Peter K.

Peter K. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter K.
    Guys, I find this all very interesting. I have 2 sets, 10 wheels, to be painted gold. I may ask my painter if it is possible to paint my Jarama set with less clear and what would be done standard on my spare Urraco set. I agree with a couple of others that the early gold had less metallic and, if any, less clear.

BTW, those prototype Urraco wheels that are on the car will finally be repainted in the correct silver.

5. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Peter, do we know if the factory used a clear or was it possibly a single stage enamel?
    There was no clear on the Miura style wheels in silver on my car.

There was also no clear on my Hayashi Racing rims I restored last year. That gold paint was quite bright, thin and held up surprisingly well for 36 years too. Powdercoating was a PITA but looks nice and very different.

I had the same reaction Joe did to those recently painted wheels. If the owner likes them it's no big deal in my book unless the goal is to always maintain and drive a museum piece. If you like to drive and enjoy the cars regularly that's not very practical in some cases.

What's practical about a Countach? :D

mt_jt likes this.
  6. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Bob,

FWIW, I am convinced that in the period the factory did not use clear on the wheels in the production period.

I also agree with you, if Elvis is happy with how the wheels turned out, that's all that matters.

Just trying to be helpful!

7. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Just to clarify:

1. The CAMPAGNOLO wheel on the black car which you posted has been refinished with clear. It is not in its original state in both hue or finish, and this is easily evident with the image you posted.

2. The OZ wheels I posted of the black LP500S are in response to Elvis' newly-refinished wheels.

2 separate responses, for 2 different wheels.

8. Olivier NAMECHE

Olivier NAMECHE F1 Veteran

Aug 18, 2007
    CANADA
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    I agree

9. ElvisNasty

ElvisNasty Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Elvis Jenkins Nasty
    Looks like my wheels are getting re-done. The painter is not happy with the result as he finds the paint very hard to work with and there's a few drips and inconsistencies. So he wants to take another crack at it. He's is a real perfectionist.

I am not a car-show guy or a collector, and I drive my countach frequently. Still I want to get these wheels as close to stock as possible (within reason considering it's not 2015 and paint technology has changed in the last 30 years). So I welcome any more tips and ideas.

Seems like the color is dead on, but not the clear. I've seen stock gold wheels many times in many lighting situations, and these look about right.

10. Peter K.

Peter K. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter K.
    This.
    Do not think they or anyone was using base/clear then. I think 2 stage paint on the 78 Countach was the latest great thing. Even the owners manual dedicated a good handful of pages to the paint on the car.

I do not think any car manufacturer was using it until somewhere between 79 and 82 (or later for some). And, that probably would never have been a thought on wheel sin the 70's!

But it's best to ask some old school body shops.

11. 93 r1

93 r1 Rookie

May 1, 2005
    Why not try a satin clear instead of the normal high gloss clear

12. P300V8

P300V8 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2010
    London U.K.
    #62 P300V8, Mar 19, 2015
    I picked up my wheels today but i was unable to take a picture outside in daylight. This is "perl gold" with a non gloss clear finish..... new tyres fitted all round as well...

Only today did I notice that on the front wheels the holes are not completely round. They have a flat outer edge opposite the rim...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. silhouette

silhouette Karting

Dec 13, 2006
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Paul
    The flat outer edge was original Ivor.
    The Eurospares reproductions however are completely round.

14. Peter K.

Peter K. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter K.
    Holy crap! Those wheels look incredibly beautiful! Thank for sharing.

We can see why we question. The rear looks slightly darker and more vintage. That flash shine on the front make it slightly lighter.

Either way they came out seemingly as they should.

15. P300V8

P300V8 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2010
    London U.K.
    Yes I have been using the replicas full time and the Campys have been tucked away in their zip up bags so I never noticed that...

16. P300V8

P300V8 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2010
    London U.K.
    With the wheels on the ground, off the car, indoors in artificial light this is not the best way to judge the colour. You will not be surprised to know that all the wheels are the same! Yes the rears look darker but this is just a trick of the light and it shows how difficult it is to judge colours under different lighting conditions and angles, let alone when captured in an image. To my eyes, and to others who have seen them, the colour looks just right and the non gloss clear gives an authentic appearance. My thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread! For the record the colour is RAL1036 Pearl Gold Met with matt clear.

17. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Unlike many gold wheels I have seen, these look just right. Congratulations.

18. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    One obvious way to tell the difference.

The other is that the repro wheels are smooth, whereas the original sand-cast items have a textured surface by comparison.

19. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    You can tell by the radius on the face surface on the five holes. Campys are tight and less rounded as it was machined off making the paint thin at that area. I suppose one can do that to a repo too.

20. Peter K.

Peter K. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter K.
    #70 Peter K., May 7, 2015
  21. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Very nice.

This thread has been helpful establishing that a gloss finish is not period faithful.

22. Peter K.

Peter K. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter K.
    #72 Peter K., Jun 19, 2015
  23. elms

elms Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    DCS
    Sorry only just seen this thread. I have a set of original Miura wheels in my office as a display piece in this colour, I had the repainted to historically correct Gold colour about 6 years ago.

IIRC I got the paint code from Lambo UK

24. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Looks good Peter!

25. Peter K.

Peter K. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed