Gold Wheels | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Gold Wheels

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by Peter K., Nov 19, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    Sometimes the orange proto Jalpa had silver wheels and different mirrors too I seem to recall?

2. P300V8

P300V8 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2010
    London U.K.
    The Jalpa prototype shown at Geneva was Rame Colorado with gold wheels. After that, changes were progressively made to everything and only the unique shape of the hand made wheel arches and door cards remain today.

3. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    so final word is RAL1036 Perlgold Met ?

4. Peter K.

Peter K. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter K.
    Yes, and that color look great, too!

5. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    fantastic! thanks for confirming it

6. DaniT

DaniT Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2015
    Czech Republic, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Daniel T.
    hyenahf likes this.
  7. DaniT

DaniT Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2015
    Full Name:
    Daniel T.
    With the information from this fantastic forum I will let mix also RAL1036 perlgold met and compare the samples.

Maser likes this.
  8. Maser

Maser Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Harry Metcalfe
    Look forward to seeing the results. I'm planning on having my wheels painted gold. Not what the car was delivered with but I like the look!

9. Spyder-Man

Spyder-Man Formula 3

May 11, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    its an itch which has to be scratched Harry!
    Rob

10. I had him leave a center intentionally. The painter got the sheen the same as the original silver. Again looks different than the above picture.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. DaniT

DaniT Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2015
    Full Name:
    Daniel T.
    I got the RAL1036 Perlgold Met sample card.

On the left side you can see the RAL1036 sample card

On the right side you can see the sample that was mixed according the untouched 85 wheel

Image Unavailable, Please Login

joe sackey likes this.
  12. DaniT

DaniT Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2015
    Full Name:
    Daniel T.
  13. Peter K.

Peter K. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter K.
    If I am correct, the perl gold was used in the earlier cars. in the 80's the gold was lighter.

14. DaniT

DaniT Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2015
    Full Name:
    Daniel T.
  15. I don't know. Roy's 83 is the darker. It would not surprise me if Lamborghini had multiple shades used in any given year.

16. DaniT

DaniT Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2015
    Full Name:
    Daniel T.
  17. DaniT

DaniT Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2015
    Full Name:
    Daniel T.
    Are this wheels untouched?

18. That's a good question. I don't know. In your case I would go with the color that you matched it up to, if you are sure it is an untouched wheel. In my situation I absolutely loved the color & my car came with silver wheels anyways. The perigiold appeared to be the correct color from my research on the different 5000s cars that I found.

19. DaniT

DaniT Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2015
    Full Name:
    Daniel T.
    I like both colors but I would like to find out the correct hue for all the years including the early Bravos.

I am pretty sure my wheels were untouched. The visible part of the wheels was over sprayed in silver (base/clear coat). The invisible center section was painted gold with a single stage paint system and there was absolutely no evidence of an other layer, grinding or any other preparation work under the gold paint.

I was checking some QV pics and they all appear to be painted with the lighter color. It is possible that the 2V cars had an other hue but I would like to be sure.

20. DaniT

DaniT Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2015
    Full Name:
    Daniel T.
    I was searching the net for pictures and I found a couple of pre QV cars with light gold wheels.

For example https://www.tonyrienzi.com/1983-5000s-gold-wheels.html

21. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    i had a debate here with a few years back with long time highly respected poster on this thread on color matching paint to the originals. to match paint properly, you can never go by paint color code or image especially using 40-50 year old Kodachrome slide image as reference. Due to the influence of the light refracted and reflected light color will always appear different like the pics you and peter's pics have shown here.

you did the correct thing by matching the your swatch sample directly to the wheel. Even that isnt easy to do given the primer underneath and texture differences to what you see when you paint your actual part.. I applaud you... your attention to details is impressive.

ken qv likes this.
  22. DaniT

DaniT Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2015
    Full Name:
    Daniel T.
    Thank you! I will post pictures as soon as we will have a set of wheels finished.

23. DaniT

DaniT Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2015
    Full Name:
    Daniel T.
    If someone is interested in the formulation of my gold color I posted it in my restoration thread.

hyenahf and joe sackey like this.
  24. P300V8

P300V8 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2010
    London U.K.
    I speculate that wheels supplied by Campagnolo were a different shade to those supplied by OZ...