Good Companion Cars for the Dino | Page 8 | FerrariChat

Good Companion Cars for the Dino

Discussion in '206/246' started by abstamaria, Mar 23, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    #176 SCantera, Sep 1, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thanks Bluebottle.....I love your combo. Two truly classic shapes. I think the Maserati GranTurismo is one of the best designs in the modern world of cars.

Seeing this thread revived makes me feel a bit sad that I sold my Dino. Still have the 330 GTC. I might swap my BB to get another Dino. Not sure swapping 12 cylinders for a 6 makes sense though.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

mcimino likes this.
  2. ahsan127

ahsan127 Karting

Jun 28, 2015
    #177 ahsan127, Sep 2, 2017
  3. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    It does to me!

4. ENZOSON

ENZOSON Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2004
    Erie, Colorado
    Full Name:
    PIETRO
    #179 ENZOSON, Sep 4, 2017
    mcimino likes this.
  5. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #180 abstamaria, Sep 5, 2017
    mcimino and PhatFrank like this.
  6. freestone

freestone Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2005
    West Coast USA
    Having owned both, I don’t believe the Dino at all was a competitor let alone a direct one to the RS. The RS is just so far more competent and faster. Having also owned a 914-6, that to me was it’s direct competitor. The RS would just crush a Dino in any event anytime.

7. freestone

freestone Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2005
    West Coast USA
    I also had both in my garage at the same time. I sold the Dino but the Speedster remains my all time favorite car. It was always the one I picked over the Dino. More comfortable. I thought better looking. Obviously not nearly as modern feeling. I was much more relaxed driving it.

8. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    The Dino is a “committed” experience. One you plan for. The Speedster is like putting on your casual “go to” shoes. It’s always comfortable and “feels” like home.

Both offer a wonderfully different journey and experience.

Freeman

9. PhatFrank

PhatFrank Karting

Nov 9, 2010
    Norway
    We have a really lovely '72 911 that has been completely restored with the engine uprated to full RS-spec. Although the Dino has a rebuilt engine as well, it's not even close to keeping up with the 911 on any road. Not that it matters much - we also have much, much faster cars and the Dino is the one that gets the most mileage from me:).

mcimino, LARRYH and cnpapa24 like this.
  10. nis1973

nis1973 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2013
    NYC/CT
    Awesome photo!

PhatFrank likes this.
  11. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    My Dino got a new companion yesterday. A 1984 512 BBi that needs some TLC. I will leave up to others to judge if it is a good companion, but I love this supercar of the 80's and cannot wait to get my hands dirty again. I have promised my family that this is the last companion now that I have 2 x 6, 8 and 12 cylinders in the small stable.

Best regards Peter Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Fantastic companion!

13. PhatFrank

PhatFrank Karting

Nov 9, 2010
    Norway
    Awesome!!! I've always loved the BBi. I do think I have to take the Dino to Denmark next year for a short visit:)

14. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
  15. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Congratulations! :D:D:D

16. 246er

246er Karting

Jan 1, 2016
    Herefordshire, England.
    Full Name:
    Chris Sherwood
    Here is my yellow Dino. I live just 20 miles away from the Morgan factory here in England and an early narrow bodied Plus 8 in yellow would be pretty high on my list as a companion! Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Congratulations on a gorgeous Super 7, Freeman! With your Dino and Speedster, you've got the sports car segment sewn up! Fred

18. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California

Thanks Fred! Each car offers a unique history, story and driving experience. Also a unique visual experience! That’s been my goal. The right tool for the job! The Super Seven is the most extreme in that you’re the most exposed to the elements, tight cockpit and you have to wear really thin shoes to operate the pedals!

Freeman

19. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Congratulations Freeman. Beautiful Super 7 and certainly as direct a drivers car as you are likely to ever get. Back when I was living in England I literally had thousands of track laps in the very similar Caterham 7. We used to do all kinds of stuff with those cars including drift lapping and choreographed donuts. On one day a certain future F1 driver, desperately trying to better my lap time, went flying through a marker board when flying off the circuit smashing it to pieces :) No harm to the car but the board was toast. Good memories.

20. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars
    Congratulations, Freeman, and welcome to Lotus Land - complete with narrow driving shoes and all!

Any early Lotus makes a good companion car to the Dino. For me it was the Elan I always wanted, and finally got some years ago. I have never driven a Super 7 but I am sure it offers the same raw, pure driving experience and excitement as the Elan - perhaps even more so. Enjoy!

Lars

21. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    The Super Seven is really a truly brilliant concept. It was once said by my old colleague, J Mays, “The dirty little secret about simplicity is, it’s hard to do!”

To enjoy a 7, like a Dino, you need the right roads and no traffic.

Freeman

22. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    That is wonderful, Freeman. I agree with you that the driving experience with each car ideally should be very different from the others. The 356, the Dino, and the Seven cannot be more different. Of course, there is nothing like a Lotus.

Andres
    A Lotus man at heart.

23. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Image Unavailable, Please Login I have driven but never owned a Seven. I would love an early one. What year is yours, Freeman?

I did have a 23 for some ten years. Here I am with it 20 years ago at Willow Springs.

24. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California

The Lotus 23 was a special car. I’ve never experienced one but have heard they are amazing! My Super Seven is a Caterham Series 3 Image Unavailable, Please Login built in ‘93 with the 1700 Super Sprint 135hp motor, Sierra 5 speed, DeDion, heater delete and 4 wheel disc brakes. Weighs 1200 lbs. For me, this is the perfect balance for a Seven to enjoy. Lots of power (0-60 in 5.5 seconds), quick precise shifting, go-kart handling and not so extreme to just enjoy a nice spirited drive in it.

The engine is the tried and true Ford Kent based unit specially built for Caterham with cross flow high compression head (9:1/9.5:1), 1700cc, special cams, 40mm side draft Webers and lightened flywheel.

Freeman

25. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars
    OK, so technically it was not really correct of me to call it a Lotus. Sorry about that. But since Caterham bought the rights to the Super 7 from Lotus, it is still a Lotus to me. Always will be. And particularly your version with the Kent engine, seems to me like a direct continuation of the old Lotus Super 7 concept.

And yes, it was a brilliant concept. Simplicity and low weight are indeed hard to accomplish. The Super 7 achieved both.

The fact that this design is still around in one form or another after all these years, is a proof of how correct the original design concept really was. To this day, they are still terrorizing the club racing and vintage racing circuits around the world!

From your description it sounds like you have found a Super 7 with the right mixture of modern performance (5-speed, wow!) and vintage driving experience. Neat!

Lars