Good price for a 1993 Series Speciale 348ts | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Good price for a 1993 Series Speciale 348ts

Discussion in '348/355' started by spyderman33, Aug 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spyderman33

spyderman33 Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    MIA/ATL
    Full Name:
    Julian
    Yep, I've read about the A/C.. I want to have a PPI but the only decent guy that I have found in Indianapolis is the same guy servicing the car now so there is a slight conflict of interest.. The second closest is Chicago and that's a ways..

I am still unclear on the values of these SS cars.. Not sure what the price is/should be.

2. $$$=SPEED

$$$=SPEED F1 Veteran

Aug 18, 2004
    Portland, Or. USA
    Full Name:
    Depends who's asking
    Is the guys name selling it Dave out of Indy? I was looking at purchasing that car back in April. Dave is a hell of a nice guy! I also think he is trust worthy, just my opinion. That car scared me a bit as I had him fax over the service records. I think I got sent over 60 pages of service records. Kind of scared me away, plus he is the third owner. My feeling was the previous owners had enough trips to the dealer and unloaded. I was real close to buying it but had the "lemon" taste in my mouth. My biggest problem was tat I was in the midst of re-finacing my house. Making a cash deal would have been tough.
    In talking with Dave though, he pointed out something when I brought my feeling about the car to his attention. " All the service records reflect how well the car has been taken care of." He might have a point! It sure is an awesome looking Speciale! Hopes this helps as my purchase took over 6 months of looking, listening and learning . I am so happy I took my time cause now I have my dream!! Only bad thing is once you get your dream car, you want to take the next step up.

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The Series Speciale adds value...the GTS takes it away....these were intended as a performance option, as such more suitable ordered on a hardtop....can you say "chassis flex"??

The suspension and performance upgrades are wasted on an open top car..

Look for a B.......

Some leasing complany has been offering a SS GTS for a LONG time..no takers.

4. $$$=SPEED

$$$=SPEED F1 Veteran

Aug 18, 2004
    Portland, Or. USA
    Full Name:
    Depends who's asking
    Almost forgot, the closest Ferrari dealer is in Washington DC..That was another reason I didn't purchase. The PPI would have cost as well as transport there & back

5. millemiglia

millemiglia Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2003
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter B.
    #30 millemiglia, Aug 19, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The Serie Speciale were only sold in the U.S.

Best looking for me too!
    Especially with those 18" split rims and the F40 seats.

Of those 50 made, only 8 where RHD, aimed at the UK market.

/Peter
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. pizzadude

pizzadude Formula 3

Feb 20, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have seen the car and know the owner and can tell you he is honest and the car is in great shape. It really is a beautiful car. As far as a PPI here in Indy yes the guy that can do it for you also services the car and it was mentioned as a conflict of interest but I can tell you that brian would give you a fair assesment of the car. When I was looking to buy my 308 I brought him a car to look at and he said it was a piece of crap and not to buy it. He then picks up the phone and calls someone and confirmes that they have a nice 308 over there. It was a dealer he knew and works on his cars. I didn't know brian and was wondering if he was just throwing him the business. Anyway I looked at the car and just like Brian said it was a beauty so I arrange for brian to take a look at it for a PPI. I thought for sure this was the car I was going to get. After he inspected it Brian told me, Its a good car and I wouldn't be upset with you if you bought it but I think you can hold out for something a little better and at a better price. I was very impressed when he gave me this honest opinon. He told me I was the one paying him and he was working for me during the inspection. Anyway the point of this long winded story is you could have him do the PPI and he will shoot you straight even thought the car belongs to one of his customers. His # is 271-9955.

7. blackcross

blackcross Karting

Jun 23, 2007
    Canada
    Just literally came of the track today where I had my ss. The major difference between the two cars is the increased rear wheelbase (1 inch per side). This was achieved through larger wheel hubs so can be replicated.

The main benefit is the ss is MUCH more stable in corners and MUCH more progressive when the rear lets go: you can actually catch it and balance it on the throttle whee as the "regular" 348s just swap ends right quick.

Cheers and good luck.

8. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    I think the price is reasonably fair. Not bargain basement but not overpriced either. I think range must be between $54K-62k depending on the miles, service history, how recent is the major, etc.

I was looking for an SS when I was in the buy mode last year. Too bad there were none available at the time. To me, the SS is the best looking 348 ever. I love the rear lights.

Some of its features can be duplicated - remove the rear grill and add spacers, Front CF splitter can be added, rear track can be duplicated with spacers. The CF seats (only availabe in 92 and 93 Speciales BTW) are v. expensive to buy or fix. They are reputed to be uncomfortable - so there are pros and cons to it.

Moving the battery foward in the true '92 and beyonds cars improves the weight distribution a little bit but this of academic interest unless you hardcore track enthusiast.

Overall, I say get a SS if you can afford it. Otherwise buy a well looked after regular 348 and you will get 95% of the same joy and thrill.

9. Davidt

Davidt Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Dave T.
    I drove mine from WV. Approx 500mi. I really had no issue with the seat.