Goodbye, ILLinois | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Goodbye, ILLinois

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by spike308, Apr 1, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Pretty sure you're exempt if beneficial ownership remains same.

2. AndrewJM

AndrewJM Formula Junior

Jun 18, 2012
    Norfolk, VA
    I just hope that the electoral college will one day be abolished.

3. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    You like Al Gore?

4. AndrewJM

AndrewJM Formula Junior

Jun 18, 2012
    Norfolk, VA
    Not at all. But I have always thought of the Electoral College as a worthless institution.

Anyhow, not like it makes a lot of difference, as it seems that the people receiving handouts are going to decide how the money is spent from now on...

5. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    Sold my house today!
    Renting it back till the end of June ....
    TX here we come!

6. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Congrats. I have to do the same. Did you get near your asking price or is the market still about 20% soft?

7. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    full asking price.
    in Winnetka, the market seems strong. Lots of sold/ under contract signs.
    Not a lot of inventory
    I think we priced it right, and the house looked great.
    had an offer after 36 hours on the market
    we got 2 others, but were 5-10% lower than asking
    right buyers at the right time

8. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    #133 spike308, Jun 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. MyMp4-12c

MyMp4-12c Rookie

Jul 23, 2012
    Safe travels

10. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    At least you'll have a warm welcome in TX.

11. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    Bring it
    I'll take hot over the miserable winters here!!!!
    Year around driving too, no salt on the roads....

Brief P&R:
    ILL is all yours! Enjoy the upcoming "fixes" the Dems have in store.... Taxes, taxes, and probably, more taxes.

12. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Good for you. You're certainly heading in the right direction then.

I remember not taking my 308 out once the temps were above 90, but hey, that's me.

I also remember the scream of pain by the Hooters' waitress when she sat down in Dave's 512 BBi: after a couple of hours in the sun, the leather seats were sizzling hot

13. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    #138 spike308, Jun 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    I finally got the a/c "fixed" on mine.... I Knew it didn't work when I bought it 10 years ago
    Well, it is underwhelming.... But does take the edge off!
    Better than what I had... Which was nothing!

15. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Right on, bro. My family moved from Florida to Urbana when I was in the ninth grade. Great gawd almighty, those winters were killers, and I mean literally.

Dale

16. Daytona Rick

Daytona Rick Formula 3

Jan 23, 2005
    Windy City
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Mike, old friend, the Best of Luck to you and the family in your new surroundings. Hey I would have offered to save you some time and money by driving your toy down there for you. Then I could have brought the books with, of course after the nationals.

17. norbert

norbert Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2003
    Charlotte, NC Area
    Full Name:
    Norbert Ertel
    While in Austin for F1 last November, my Wife and I took a drive to Fredericksburg while we were out looking at possible places to buy a home in the future. Agree the driving out there is great. The road we took back to Austin was like perfect for an exotic car drive - perfect! There aren't any slow drivers on the expressways around town either with speed limits that would make Quinn have a heart attack.

18. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    It is said that when you get to the end of your life its not the things you did that you regret, but the things you did not do.

19. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Done

20. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    You call this a "fix"???
    yeah, the fix is in!
    ILLinois has the worst bond rating in the country... in part because of this.

Review & Outlook: Illinois's Fake Pension Fix - WSJ.com

Illinois's Fake Pension Fix
    The most dysfunctional state government lives down to its reputation.

Updated Dec. 3, 2013 6:25 p.m. ET
    Democrats in Illinois have dug a $100 billion pension hole, and now they want Republicans to rescue them by voting for a plan that would merely delay the fiscal reckoning while helping to re-elect Governor Pat Quinn. The cuckolded GOP seems happy to oblige on this quarter-baked reform.

Legislative leaders plan to vote Tuesday on a bill that Mr. Quinn hails as a great achievement. But the plan merely tinkers around the edges to save a fanciful $155 billion over 30 years, shaves the state's unfunded liability by at most 20%, and does nothing for Chicago's $20 billion pension hole.

Most of the putative savings would come from trimming benefits for younger workers. The retirement age for current workers would increase on a graduated scale by four months for 45-year-olds to five years for those 30 and under. Teachers now in their 20s would have to wait until the ripe, old age of 60 to retire, but they'd still draw pensions worth 75% of their final salary.

Salaries for calculating pensions would also be capped at $109,971, which would increase over time with inflation. Yet Democrats cracked this ceiling by grandfathering in pensions for workers whose salaries currently top or will exceed the cap due to raises in collective-bargaining agreements.

Democrats are also offering defined-contribution plans as a sop to Republicans who are desperate to dress up this turkey of a deal. These plans would only be available to 5% of workers hired before 2011. Why only 5%? Because if too many workers opt out of the traditional pension, there might not be enough new workers to fund the overpromises Democrats have made to current pensioners.

At private companies, such 401(k)-style plans are private property that workers keep if they move to a new job. But the Illinois version gives the state control over the new defined-contribution plans and lets the legislature raid the individual accounts at anytime. That's a scam, not a reform.

Even under the most optimistic forecasts, these nips and tucks would only slim the state's pension liability down to $80 billion—which is where it was after Governor Quinn signed de minimis fixes in spring 2010 to get him past that year's election.

Safely elected in January 2011, Democrats then raised the state's 3% flat income tax rate to 5% and its corporate rate from 7.3% to 9.5%, the fourth highest in the country. All $7 billion a year in new revenues have gone to pension payments, which will leave a huge new hole in the budget when the supposedly temporary tax hikes are phased out in 2015.

The truth is that Democrats will never let the tax increases expire, and state Senate President John Cullerton all but admitted as much in October. Mr. Quinn won't rule out another tax hike, which means round two is a certainty in 2015 if he wins re-election next year. The difference is that this time Democrats will kill the flat income tax and impose a progressive rate scheme that will make future tax hikes politically easier.

It's a sign of their desperation that the state's business lobbies are supporting the reform as the best they can hope for. Others want special tax breaks to offset the 2011 tax hike. Archer Daniels Midland ADM +1.53% (Decatur) and Office Max (Naperville) have threatened to move their corporate headquarters if the state doesn't guarantee $75 million in tax breaks. But Mr. Quinn has refused to approve more gifts for the legislature's corporate cronies until lawmakers pass something on pensions.

Democrats hold comfortable majorities in the legislature and don't need GOP votes. Yet they are demanding Republican support so they won't be the only targets of union wrath. Mr. Quinn watered down the reforms to reduce opposition from the teachers and other government unions, but the unions are still promising to go to court to block the changes if they pass.

GOP leaders who are rounding up votes must be feeling especially charitable this holiday season because they're making an in-kind contribution to Mr. Quinn, who will claim a bipartisan victory as he runs for re-election. While GOP gubernatorial candidate Bruce Rauner has denounced the pension legislation as window-dressing, his Republican primary challengers aren't as savvy. State Senator Bill Brady, who lost to Mr. Quinn in 2010, is supporting the bill while treasurer Dan Rutherford says it is too hard on unions. Such me-too thinking is why the Illinois GOP has become a useless minority.

In return for their votes, Republicans ought to demand durable pension fixes modelled on the reforms that Democrats in Rhode Island passed in 2011, which suspended cost-of-living adjustments and modified future benefits for all current workers. Municipalities including Chicago should also be covered by any reform. Anything less is a guarantee of future fiscal trouble and a gift to Illinois Democrats.

21. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I don't know, saving 155 billion against the teachers' union to me is a pretty substantial win.

As for Quinn: Ever since he tried to not pay the politicians until they come to an agreement he is my kind of hero.

22. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    The tax rate also needs to be pulled back for Illinois to do as well as it can...bottom line. These clowns won't do it. The only thing they will do is give big companies tax breaks, thus allowing the states economy to still grow. Small business will still get screwed unless they can get some special local or state tax breaks if your lucky.

This should only be a start. They better do alot more. Start laying off more state employees, we can't afford them all. We also can't afford another tax hike.

If Mr. Quinn gets relected they might as well reserve a cell for him as im sure he will do something illegal!!

23. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    If you really believe the numbers… good luck! you think these jokers can actually "save" that money?!?! bridge for sale for you, my friend!
    This will be tied up in court for a long time. Look at med-mal "reform" in ILL. Struck down 3 times. You REALLY think the ILL SC will allow this to stand?
    my guess…. no way!

wait till Quinn starts doling out more tax breaks to keep more companies from leaving… thus requiring more taxes from individuals and small businesses (the backbone of the economy).

24. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Spike 308 you are right about Illinois, but wait until you have to bail out that new race track that is not making any money down in Austin. Snakes are not just in Illinois as Texas has more than it's share of liar politicians. Growth hides most of it, but sooner of later it will catch up with them.

25. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    I'm sorry but comparing the losses on that track to Pension problem in Illinois is like comparing a mouse to an elephant.......