Goodwood, September 17-19 | FerrariChat

Goodwood, September 17-19

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by swift53, Aug 11, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    I am certain a lot of you have been there in the past...
    Anyone, that would like to pm or publicly relate ups, downs, etc. If you have tips and or thoughts you would like to share, I would be very thankful.
    It would be nice to meet fellow f-chatters that will be attending this year.
    Thank you. Regards, Alberto

2. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    #2 Jack-the-lad, Aug 11, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
    Alberto, This will be our 6th. Revival. Prepare to be bowled over. There is nothing quite like Revival anywhere else in the world.

I hope you have already arranged accommodations, as Goodwood is in the countryside and rooms are very difficult to come by.

Be sure to get paddock passes (you must be wearing period or country clothing...coat and tie...to get entry). I find the most exciting places to watch the races from are on the banking outside of Madgwick (the first turn) and in the braking zone into Woodcote, the last turn before the chicane. Frankly, there are no bad places to watch from at Goodwood.

Take the time to walk completely around the circuit and watch from many vantage points.

The pre-1966 parking lot is a show of its own. The English break out the old cars to drive to Goodwood and they are given special parking. There is always some magical stuff in that lot.

If you like vintage aircraft there are lot of those, too...particularly P-51 Mustangs and Spitfires.

My best advice is to get to the circuit as early as you can. To me, there's nothing like hearing the first engines come to life on a cool, misty English morning.

I'll post more as I think about it. You can't get me to shut up about Goodwood Revival!

Jack

edit: Feel free to PM your mobile number and where you'll be during the weekend, if you like.

3. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    They,re are going to be at least 7 Aussie Fchatters there that I know of.C U there.
    Cheers,Simon

4. AlexB

AlexB Rookie

Jun 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Hi Everyone,

I have been to the revival a few times but how do I get a paddock pass? If anyone could let me know I would be ever so grateful.

Thank you,

Alex

5. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    My recollection is they only available to GRRC Members

6. 8-Ball

8-Ball Formula Junior

Sep 16, 2006
    Sussex
    Full Name:
    Adam
    My three day tickets arrived yesterday. :)

Doesn't seem to be to clear on the website or ticket pack regarding paddock access. The booklet that arrived with my tickets states:
    * = my bold.

This seems to me that you can buy paddock tickets, or get them free if you're a GRRC member. A phone call to the ticket office would clear it up though. Either way, there is a period dress code.

I went to the first two Revivals back in '98 & '99 (?), and then again last year and really wonder why I left it so long! It's a fantastic event.

7. AlexB

AlexB Rookie

Jun 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Ok thanks. I will give them a ring, I better get my tickets soon as they are limiting the numbers of visitors to the event this year.

Alex

8. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    #8 JazzyO, Aug 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    That is correct and the membership has a waiting list. You can't buy paddock passes.

@the OP: I will be there too, not with the 330GTC this year but with the 550 Maranello. It is simply a fantastic event, it is hard to explain how great it is.

If your a newbie, please take the following seriously:

You MUST come in vintage clothing! You will feel like a real berk if you don't (happened to me the first time). And it is great fun dressing up, anyway.

Onno
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. thepinkumbrella

thepinkumbrella F1 Veteran

Feb 26, 2006
    United Kingdom
    #9 thepinkumbrella, Aug 12, 2010
    Words cannot do this event justice and I'm not entirely sure these pictures from the 2008 Goodwood Revival will. The only drawback for me personally is having to leave home at 4:30 in the morning to arrive at 7am to wander around the paddocks uninterrupted and, as Jack says, to hear the shrill tones of the V12s as they bark in to life.

Paul

10. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Great pictures, Paul. I'm beginning to get excited already!

Jack

11. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    We should try to have an F-Chat meet-up sometime during the weekend. It would be great to meet over a beer. I'll be at the circuit all three days.

Jack.

12. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    #12 JazzyO, Aug 12, 2010
  13. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    VC is our favorite! 1300 Sunday, then. I have PM'ed my mobile # to you.

Jack

14. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Thank you all for the tips and information! I will be in London a few days before, will have a phone number contact, then will post it to try to meet with any that wish to. Champagne it is! Regards, Alberto

15. buster bram

buster bram Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2005
    mussolini's Garage
    Full Name:
    Sean
    #15 buster bram, Aug 13, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  16. 8-Ball

8-Ball Formula Junior

Sep 16, 2006
    Sussex
    Full Name:
    Adam
    #16 8-Ball, Aug 13, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
    I'm up for a meet as well, although I'm more of a beer & burger person than champagne, but I reckon I'll cope. ;)

Might be worth waiting a bit for final running order before setting a time?

17. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Great tip Sean, we'll have to take you up on that. Perhaps a meet for a beer on Friday or Saturday evening is a good idea.

Onno

18. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Sounds good. Is anyone going to the auction? I think I'll do it this year.

19. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    I'd like to but I would miss too much of the action on the track, in the paddock etc.

Onno

20. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I haven't checked the schedule, but I think the auction is after track activities have ceased.

Jack.

21. macca

macca Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2003
    Revival testing took place Wednesday and yesterday - Wednesday was wet but I went yesterday when it was fine and saw these:
    http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/5372/revtest16910340mm.jpg
    http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/629/revtest16910250gto.jpg
    http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/8180/revtest16910275gtb.jpg
    http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/2127/revtest16910275lm.jpg
    http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/2746/revtest16910330lmb.jpg
    http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/488/revtest16910500trc.jpg

Tom Kristensen is co-driving the 330LMB with Bobby Verdon-Roe this year, and they were there both days and taking it very seriously - 1-hour debrief and changng springs and dampers back and forth.

DK Engineering were running the 340MM (?) and 250LM, as well as David Cottingham's own 500TRC which he was having a refresher in, as he hasn't driven it for a couple of years - they were struggling to meet the circuit's 105db noise limit since thier own noisemeter reads lower than the circuit's one.

And finally, to whet your appetites, a different view:
    http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/7416/revtest16910250gtovert.jpg

Hope to see some of you there next week!

Paul M

22. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    Great photos. The "340 MM" is 166MM-53 #0314M, the by DK newly resurrected car that was stolen at the Mille Miglia in 2000.

23. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    The car section of the auction is usually Friday evening although I think the automobilia is in the afternoon while practice is on.

Re the paddock passes they are only available to GRRC members and their guests and not sure if it is the same as last year but you needed to indicate you wanted them on the website when booking tickets (I booked my tickets over the phone this year). Note this only covers the central part of the paddock where the shall we say more desirable cars are based, parts of the paddock are free to all.

Will be there Saturday and Sunday, and assuming the weather is good (and car parks not to muddy) will have the Daytona is the pre 73 parking area.

24. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Three days until gear-up. We'll be staying in Sutton. Dinner at The Kennels Thursday night and The Royal Oak (in Lavant) Friday. Saturday and Sunday dinner are open if anyone has suggestions.

Jack