Gorilla trekking in Rwanda / Uganda | FerrariChat

Gorilla trekking in Rwanda / Uganda

Discussion in 'Travel' started by erik__c, Mar 6, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. erik__c

erik__c Rookie

Oct 21, 2014
    DC
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Hi there. My wife and I are thinking of going gorilla trekking in Rwanda, then heading nextdoor to Uganda to go hiking with chimpanzees. Perhaps with a couple days' long layover in Addis Ababa on the way there or home to DC.
    Has anyone done it, and if so, can you provide any suggestions or recommendations on guides, hotels, etc.
    Thank you!
    -Erik

2. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Seems like you're going to be 'our' trailblazer! ;)

Sounds like an *awesome* vacation. Be sure to report back.

Cheers,
    Ian

3. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Personally the best way we humans can look after these endangered animals is to 100% leave them well alone. They should not be a tourist attraction, with all that entails.

If you do go, be safe.
    Pete

4. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Know quite a few people who went there. Some came back disappointed (in the way that they saw NONE(!) in the entire trip).

Others did and said it was excellent.

Personally, I'd go and watch the migration in tanzania in november.

5. erik__c

erik__c Rookie

Oct 21, 2014
    DC
    Full Name:
    Erik
    My wife and I did some research and just booked 10 days in Uganda this summer. The government gorilla trek permits are expensive but go towards conservation and protection. We can trek with them and look at them, but are not to touch them or do anything stupid.

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I think that is good, just like I think some permitted hunting by the country, even endangered animals, can be beneficial in the end.

7. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller
    Tourism and hunting are the only way to generate revenue to keep African wildlife alive. without tourism/ conservation most wildlife would have been gone long ago.

YES! I agree.

8. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Now that would be something!

9. erik__c

erik__c Rookie

Oct 21, 2014
    DC
    Full Name:
    Erik
    My wife and I just got back to the States from Uganda. We did chimpanzee trekking one day and gorilla trekking another day. Plus we saw lots of Uganda. It's not a luxury trip by any means; we got hot and dusty with regularity.
    A few pictures (plus one car-related one) are at the link below; feel free to PM me if you want access to my full album or have questions about doing this sort of adventure.

Album:
    Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Cheers!
    -Erik