Got beat by a Subaru!! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Got beat by a Subaru!!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by HMS, Mar 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com
    You should just ignore him and make him look stupid. Winning or loosing to a Suburu with a 360 is just pointless, you are way out of his league.

My 0.02

2. johnhoughtaling

johnhoughtaling Formula 3

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    Allan has made no point whatsoever. The reason the guy in the STI will tell all of his friends that he beat the exotic icon to most sportscar guys. Saying he beat an incredible car helps raise the value of his car in his buddies minds. He will brag about it.

The STI is fast, fun and great bang for the buck. But the 355 is more valuable. Why. Because it is beautiful to look at. It is fast. It has one of the best sountracks of any road car every built, it has heritage, mystic, it is exotic and it feels like it and drives like it. And those are only the legitimate virtues. I've not even started in on the illicit ones!! (the lambos are even better at this!)

This comment is made to take nothing against the STI. I think it is a fabulous car for 30K. Probably the best speed for the buck on the road.

3. Pong

Pong Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Thailand
    Full Name:
    Pong
    STi is very fast...in fact, Japanese 4WD turbo like EVO, STi, GTR are damn fast. We took the 360 to the track along with my GTR and others' EVO, WRX, MR2, etc.....the 360 was not as quick as we hope for...not as nimble either....I had much more fun in my GTR...the 360 handling seems to be a knife edge kinda thing...it sticks well and all of a sudden it lets go the back end...the electronic makes it easy to catch, but I still enjoy my GTR more.

Well, on that day we also had our friend's 348 along....the car died the next day after the track day...ha ha... the guy drove the life out of his 348, trying to squeez everything out of the car...very well done.

Anyway, Ferrari is a good car. But let's face it...nowadays, a car like EVO can kick F-car's butt on the curcuit easier than we all thought.

4. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    You beat me to it. The WRX looks like every other $12K compact shoebox. IMO, the primary characteristic of an exotic is asthetics. You can't look at a parked WRX and "see" it's 0-60 times. But I could look at a 355 parked in my garage all night...

5. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Another reason not to get bothered that I have a mere 2v... I can spend 10 times the price and still get beat, but so what? Subaru is indeed a lot of bang for the buck. I see no reason to either put that car down or get upset that its so fast. They can pass me all day..I don't care. Still rather have my car. To each his own.

6. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    No way will a stock Subie take your 360 on power. If he's modded, who cares, he'll probably blow the motor within a few months anyway.

Gary

7. 150shot

150shot Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2003
    San Dimas, CA
    I agree. they may be fast but look at what you drive. I wouldnt care if it was a 10 sec street car, the 360 is like 5 levels above it, and you could buy 6 of those for the price of one. He was most likely jealous even that he beat you.

8. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    As Sean Connery said in "The Rock": losers talk about [heritage]. Winners go home and F^&* the prom queen.

9. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    If you want to play it safe, do what I do everytime someone wants to race.
    I just wave him off with my hand and tell him to look out for that cop at the next corner with his radar gun. That way, you avoid any form of confrontation and you don't look as bad.

We don't need to prove anything to these folks!!!!!

10. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    Why?? You know she's f**ked everyone from this star on down so what's the point, that's pretty much conquered ground.

11. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Some of you guys are too sensitive.

Re; power outpt. R&T has the STI 1/2 second slower in the 1/4 than a 360 but the STI has to make a 4-5 shift just before the end. The 360 is still in the meat of 4th gear. The power difference is negligeble. I can tell you that the STI has very close ratios 1-4. On a real road, this can work to the Subie's advantage.

As car nuts, we should all choose what gives us the most pleasure. My 328, despite being slow by today's standards is always a joy to drive, a joy to look at and I enjoy it's Italian quirks and the many signs that it was hand built. It is a special car that I enjoy on many levels. I can afford any modern Fcar, except the Enzo, but I chose the 328 GTB for it's aesthetics and driving manners.

Many of us are always on the hunt for a cheaper car that delivers the fun and performance of a Ferrari with greater reliablilty and a modest price. Unfortunately, almost all fall short in the fun factor despite great performance. I had an M3 but it was so uninspiring, I didn't bother to put a radar detector in it. If this sounds like you, you should try an STI or EVO. These cars are great FUN. Even though their target buyer is probably 25 years old, they are way too much fun to waste on youth. I refer you to the latest issue of R&T for more info. You can even watch it's highly modified version compete in the WRC where it is the reigning champion.

As an aside, I recommend the entire Subaru line. Our 1st was a 98 Outback which my wife drove mostly. It was a great car that handled way better than it had a right to. One of my more fond memories was following a Miata on a twisty road. The driver thought he was good and pressed harder with me on his tail. He wasn't very good though and the harder he pressed, the worse it got. He probably thought my Outback was "modded". Unfortunately, that car came to an untimely end last fall in a multi car pileup and subsequent off road excursion caused by deer in the road. Our respect for the car grew with how well it handled the crash and emergency handling. If you are in the market for a regular car, give them a look. The Subies have personality unlike Hondas and Toyotas.

Dave

12. ralessi

ralessi Formula 3

May 26, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rikk
    I agree. I think you have to look at the cost and benefits. Is ****ing the prom queen really all that better than having the heritage? I would argue not.

13. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    I cant believe that some of you have pre-fabricated excuses so you dont have to race.

Inmo, i buy cars that look good and have to perform good. If the power didnt take your breath away, then it wouldnt be so much fun. Thats why i dont keep anything stock.

Btw, i really like the little Subaru's. Awesome bang for the buck.There a guy here who has one and always revs his motor at me in the Lambo. Cant wait to blow his doors off. His car is modded also.

14. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    You're trying too hard here. It's simply not that close. R&T also shows the 360 0.6 faster to 60, and it's 1/4 mi trap speed is over 9 mph faster than the STI. NO WAY the STI hangs, those are significant differences. STI is great bang for the buck, and a ton of fun, but it is no way in the performance realm of the 360 in a straight line, much less on a road course or twisties.

Gary

15. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    For a brief time, I was a Internet Sales Manager at a Houston Subaru dealership. My first impression was the Legacy Outback product line, I thought it was a bland product line with not much to offer. Most people think that way about Subaru. Boy was I ever dead wrong. After driving the basic WRX, Forester XT 5 sp, & the STI, I was addicted. These car are the most underrated on the market today & the best bang for the buck. I delt with driving enthusiast that had a passion for driving. Many Porsche, BMW, Benz, etc.. owners purchased WRX's & STI's for track events, the great thing about the STI that I loved was if you break the rear end out (drift) & to get out of it, give it some gas. No lag in the Turbo, Amazing! My customer refurred to this as a hero car. Give it some gas & it will to get you out of trouble.

Last night at the Dallas auto show, Cobb tuning/Subaru of Dallas was showing off a Forester XT that will run 0 to 60 in 3.7 seconds! Not bad eh? The small SUV will be running in the ONE LAP OF AMERICA next week so this will be something defiantly to watch closely. I have alot of respect for this company & its great to see the vast improvements in the past 10 years.

16. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I wasn't saying that I would sell the 355 for an STI, but rather I am looking for a daily driver and I find the STI extremely hard to beat for the fun per dollar factor especially in a practical set up. And here in Colorado, Subarus are the best cars you can own. So what if it's "just" a Subaru? It's "just" $30k. And I can use it all year long on any day I want.

Sure, it's no Ferrari but that's not what it's trying to be and that's not what I'm going to use it for.

17. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Boy, that thing might be fast, but it ain't pretty!! (The car, not the chick).

The STi might be about 10 times faster than my 308, but park them both next to each other at a gas station and see which one gets the attention.

Birdman

18. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    We have a WRX, among other cars (currently including the GT-2, and an M-3 with SMG2), and i always look forward to driving it. Last weekend, i hopped from one car to the next throughout the weekend for different drives, different purposes. But, the fun factor was so evident in the Subaru-the way it handles on twisties is better than go-kartlike. Stupid as it may sound, it has something to offer, even in the company of my other higher performance, more desirable rides. My point, if there is one, is simply that its a very complete car for the money, with a level of driving enjoyment that you just don't expect in cars of this price class. Anybody that hasn't driven one should take a test drive or better, steal a drive from an owner/ friend who will let you run it hard.Try and put the WRX sideways. You may find yourself giggling. Sometimes, the heavy-duty machinery forces you to take it a bit too seriously. Driving a WRX boils down to a hell of alot of fun. (And you don't even have to get into an image issue- its reverse chic).

19. gumpajim

gumpajim Rookie

Mar 5, 2004
    I had a WRX for two years and it did get bounced around in crosswinds on the freeway >60 mph. I traded it for the STi and my first thought was to get rid of the wing. Don't do it. I'm 47 years old and I think the wing looks too teenager, but this car is very stable at speed compared to the WRX, even in a crosswind. Other owners have noticed this too.

I'm not a Ferrari owner but I noticed the mention of removing the wing, so I joined your group to let you know that the wing works.

Jim

20. solly

solly Formula 3

Jun 2, 2001
    Westchester NY
    Full Name:
    Dr. Steven S.
    I have a moderately modified '02 WRX as my daily driver. Engine at 320 bhp with 1.5 bar boost and still room to go. I had the tail removed to avoid the state police.

It is fast as hell, and I drive it in the mud and snow. Handles great and I LOVE those "Chad" seats. BUT It would never beat my 360 assuming similarly competent drivers. The 360 would take it on the straights and in the corners as well, because the scooby has some turbo lag coming off the brakes, and can't turn in as quick as a rear wheel drive car.

I am aware that some of these have been highly modded to over 400 bhp and that is serious for such a light car, but must come at some expense to engine wear.

I'm planning on trading for an '04 STi. I'm very impressed with what Subaru has done and can sell for so little money.

21. STi'm Crazy

STi'm Crazy Rookie

Mar 6, 2004
    I own a 04 STi and i love it to death but would trade it for a 360 any day.
    Thanks for the respect you guy's are giving to the STi.

22. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Be careful all F Chatters speeding in Colorado. :)

23. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    This thread reminds me of a bike ride I took some 14 years ago, in the mountain pass crossing the swiss national park, at sunset. Three pals on then top spec 750cc bikes, all confident on the superiority of their skills (..) and the superiority of their hardware. Turns out that we never managed to catch up with a german biker on an old BMW R90S, riding with luggage in top cases AND a passenger behind.

Anyone would have chosen any of our bikes instead of his on prestige criteria, but the road conditions and his skills were just the winning cocktail that day, and all of us had a blast. We gave the guy big thumbs up at the top of the pass.

I like to think that I don't own Ferraris to satisfy my ego or to be in a pissing contest with everyone on the road, but because I appreciate them. If a bloke in a Sub or a Mini leaves me in dust, I find that more comical than frustrating.

24. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    look at the numbers, there is no way a sti can beat a 360!!!!i have driven both,my neighbor has an sti, the 360 ahndles better and is quidker by a large margin.....not to mention the suburus, while a great bargin, are tinny and feel cheap,a few older ones i have driven seem tohave loosened up a bit...anyway if you are still juvenile enough to street race,buy a jap car and soup it up and youve got a fast cheap car!!!!!

25. ChrisfromRI

ChrisfromRI Karting

Jan 28, 2003
    Foster, RI
    Full Name:
    Chris F
    Yeah, they're pretty quick in the rain, but I usually have my way with them in SCCA Solo2 in the dry -- with my little 2 liter naturally aspirated S2000 though, not my 308 QV.

Winning on a track is more about the car being an extension of the driver in all driving characteristics, and not just power.

There's one that I competed with last season that had a sticker on it that said "Pray for Rain" -- a hopeless admission that it fully expects to get stomped in the dry!

Kind Regards, Chris