Got beat by a Subaru!! | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Got beat by a Subaru!!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by HMS, Mar 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    I would like to remind you that:

A. You are on a public road!! Therefore you have to deal with cops, other drivers, speed limits, stop signs, red lights, pedestrians, pot-holes...

B. If you want to (properly) race, you absolutely need all of the following; the skill, the right car, and the proper location (a racetrack). A few years ago, a formula 3 driver got clocked doing 170MPH in his 911 Turbo on a public highway just north of Montreal. Needless to say, he killed himself and two of his passengers when his car hit a pothole.

C. The need to "blow someone else's doors off" IMOHO is indicative of one's sense of inadequacy or failed dreams.

For God's sake, what do you need to prove to that little pest who revs his engine at you, that your c*ck is bigger that his? So you beat (or got beaten by) another car. So f*cking what!!!!

If I appear to be very passionate (pissed off) about racing on public roads is simply because I (along with my wife in the passenger's seat) almost got killed by some moron in a Vette (at about 100mph) who cut me off (while merging on the highway) by the emergency shoulder (on the right) while racing with another (equallly moronic) Vette!!!!!

And if anyone wishes to see where foolish driving leads you, visit wrecked-exotics.com or check out some the Ferrari crash photos (with complimentary dismembered corpses) on rotten.com.

There, I said it!!!!

2. DrewH

DrewH F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Ferrari should start taking notice and make the next gen cars much faster to not only compete in this new horsepower speed war but to win!

A 360 getting beat by a Subaru would be a complete embarrassement. Time to talk twin turbo for my 355!

DrewH

3. Uberpower

Uberpower Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 6, 2004

Where did you find this site? It's HORRIBLE! Makes me want to lock my kid in my house and homeschool him forever.

People are such freaks.

4. Terrence

Terrence Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2004
    Hawaii/LA
    Full Name:
    Terrence
    I have had two 996TT and even before my mods, they were both faster in the straights and the turns. However, neither one gives me the rush as my 360. Driving a Ferrari is all about immersing in the experience and the sensation of speed. The steering, the handling, the feeling of the road, the awesome engine sound... If its ultimate speed, nothing can touch a modded 996TT. Wait til the 997TT comes out in 2 years. Mustang Cobra R can be awesome too. And Z06's for that matter. But none of them has given me the same sensory overload a 360 does. Plus the Subaru is so ugly that I don't care if it can go to Warp speed. Sometimes looks do matter too. Did we not buy a Ferrari because aside from everything else, its beautiful? Just my opinion.

5. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    The subies are no joke. A few years back I remember reading an article that pitted a WRX against a Ferrari. I think it was a 550. Anway in the mountains the WRX left the 550 in the dust. But once they got on the open road the 550 smoked the WRX in speed. The WRX's are built to run in the twisties. There is no getting around the advantage of 4wheel drive in the mountains. Then in an other magazine they had a compairison of all the quickest and fast cars, no holds bard. Dragsters, F1 cars, Rally Car, Motorcycles, modded cars, etc. Anyway the WRC Subaru was quicker to 60mph that an F1 car. But then after that the F1 car left it. The WRX has definantly earned it's respect from me. I have kid's in hopped up Subies ask me if I wanna race in my 348. I know it's not contest, and tell them that they will win. Why lie. They always give me respect for owning a Ferrari, and I have been told "Yeah but if you wanted to, you could buy two of these for what that costs, and still have change". I could but, would I trade my 348 for a WRX? No freeking way! I like the WRX's and if I get the itch for something cheap and fast, I would seriously take a look at getting one.

6. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA

Thanks for the tip. If it's functional, then let it stay...

7. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    A QV with a few mod to bring it up to modern standards will have it's way with them, the WRX version atleast. I didn't get out last year to see how the STi's stack up, but I did let an STi owner drive my car and he didn't think he stood much of a chance...(pray for rain)....he could turn the boost up just like I did, but in the end it's only a 2.5 four, it will not make the power that a similarly modded 3.0 eight will, that's just basic physics.

8. rallyguy

rallyguy Karting

Mar 6, 2004
    I guess you guys will be really dissapointed when I pass you in my 275hp Subaru WAGON!

I am just teasing of course. The cars serve different purposes and a Subaru is no substitute for a Ferrari and a Ferrari is no substitute for a Subaru (For example, you can't drive a Ferrari in the snow, at least not fast). Subaru has brought great performance to the masses, and while the WRX is a great drive it does not provide the same visceral pleasures that comes from driving a Ferrari

You should not let this bother you, you should be proud that you have been fortunate to own one of lifes great pleasures and an automotive work of art. And speed is not everything.

BTW I used to have a heavily modified 308 with 288 GTO body (Carpenter conversion) in the Family. I enjoyed the looks, speed, sound and smell, a lot, but the fact that the car did not come alive until I was going excessive speeds, made it less than enjoyable (for me) on the tight, bumpy and twisty roads I like to drive. So it got sold. The Subaru fits the bill nicely and I can put people and things in it and drive in any weather condition (big fun to drift in the snow and gravel!). Still kept the Lotus though : )

Enjoy your cars

9. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    Well said, they who race on public roads are a menance to societyand should be put away!!!!!! iam not mentioning any names (ALLAN!!!!!)

10. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The STi was designed to be a car that you could walk into the showroom, purchase a rally ready car and go race it the next day and be competetive. The car is nothing short of amazing. It has variable 4wd adjustment,it has water spary to cool the intercooler a built in shift light,with adjustable rpm points,huge brembo brakes and a good set of tires and rims. The car handels like it's on rails,and you can drive it everyday rain,snow,mud,slush, etc and it's reliable.
    I have know doubt what so ever that in a street enviroment say a stop light to stop light drag race,or even in the twisties, it would leave most if not ALL Ferrari's and Lambo's in the dust!! Maybe even the Proshe aswell.

The reason? Because the STi driver is driving a 30k car while the Ferrari guy is driving a 200k car. Who do you think has more to lose? Besides I really think the STi is a much easier car to drive then any Ferrari. And if it does break it's not the end of the world,just tow it to one of the hundreds of Subaru dealers and get it fixed.

Sorry Ferrari...You have alot of work ahead of you if you still want to remain in the race. Soon (and many already have)people will realize that it anit worth the money just to have a name.

Tom.

11. James Smith

James Smith Rookie

Mar 6, 2004
    I don't own a Ferrari. I'm too poor to afford one. But I do own a 2003 2L WRX, slightly modded.

I've always admired Ferrari(es). Whenever we go to car shows, I'm always searching for a Ferrari - I don't care what model, as long as it's Ferrari. Maybe someday, when the stones learn to jump by themselves, I will get me one. :D

I thank those of you who have bestowed some respect to the WRX STi. It helps build morale to little guys like us who think our 2L cars are nothing - which it does compared to your exotics.

But for some of you, who gets really mad and upset and outrate over this, and find yourselves degrading us, little guys, and include your heritage into the mix, and step down on WRXs, and find ways to make our 30K worth nothing? - that I find it really, really, funny. So what if the guy goes back to our forum and brag about his win? you do the same if you did won. Ferrari ownders and WRX owners do not share the same league and do have very minimal similarities other than we're all car enthusiasts. STi has built its good reputation from WRC, Drag Racing, & Road Course competitions - but in no way close to where you guys are. Will I trade my 2L WRX for a 500K Ferrari? Heck NO! I most likely won't be able to afford and replace a bolt if need to. Do I want a Ferrari? 110% Yes.

L8TR wealthycommunitywhocanaffordmultiplewrxstiifwantto. :D

12. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    I guess I'll be the Lone Ranger here and say I'm not that impressed by the STi. I actually have a Subaru WRX wagon for my wife so I am inclined to like them and certainly would have traded up to an STi if they made a wagon. After hearing all the rave reviews I drove one and have to say I was a little underwhelmed. Power was ok but it's not even in the same ballpark as a 360 or a BMW M5 . Don't get me wrong, it's a nice car and I like it. It just didn't live up to all the hype in my book. I still may get my wife in one if we can just lose the spoiler.

13. rallyguy

rallyguy Karting

Mar 6, 2004

To go off topic a little bit, you might want to have a look at the new Subaru Legacy GT Wagon for your wife, 250hp and quite a bit more upscale (by Subaru standards) than the Impreza and it is a great looking car

14. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    From having both a 328 and an EVO:

On braking, the EVO has it, hands down -- big Brembos and fat, sticky tires.

On straightline acceleration from a stop -- after the long, nail-biting delay waiting for the turbo to spool up, the EVO launches like a Saturn 5. Once you get some speed on, well, the EVO has the aerodynamics of a brick ... that's why it needs that big wing.

On corners: thereby hangs a tale. The EVO's steering response is on a par with the Ferrari (better than the STi, which has a more forgiving steering ratio). With the EVO, you can dive deep into a corner, slam on the brakes, and then let the fat 235/45 stickies pull you through. Rage and fury, but it gets the job done. And then it doesn't get much better with practice.

The Ferrari, in corners, is about smooth. The 328 is a joy to H&T -- without anti-lag, H&T isn't worth the effort on the EVO. The 328, even with stock size tires, has more potential in the corners, but you have to get it right. Add a few bumps, and it's no contest. The Ferrari's suspension is far less deranged by bumps in the corners. (But the EVO has better ground clearance for the road construction areas -- and it's designed for gravel.)

For serious twisties, I'd take the Ferrari. For drag racing, it would be all EVO. But then, I got drag racing out of my system back with a heavily modified 55 Chevy. ;)

As to which gets more attention: Well, in several years, I've never even been pulled over in the Ferrari. Since I've bought the EVO, I've been pulled over and "warned" twice
    ... once at only 20 MPH!! ("It looked like you were going fast, through town.")

The wing is functional on the freeway, so I keep it. But it does tend to attract the less sophisticated cops. (Who are amazed to see the gray hairs in a "ricer".) ;)

Oh, and my EVO had a Boxter for a light snack, back during the break-in period. :D

15. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Ferrari's are more expensive period. If you wanna compare the best subaru (STI), then compare to the best ferrari, the ENZO!!! hehehe, I say the enzo wins by a nose;)

16. docdavid

docdavid Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    Toronto/K-W
    Full Name:
    Mike D
    However impracticle that is, i would love to see it.

17. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter

Mate, I don't know what you did wrong, but the only Subies I ever get beaten by are fully stripped, trailered to the track and on slicks! And those guys drive a hell of a lot better than I do.

http://www.racetime.com.au/?event=w0401&e=s03&view=fastest
    http://www.racetime.com.au/?event=w0310&e=s01&view=fastest

18. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman

Looking at the numbers (in all car mags) on both cars a 360 that is properly driven would not lose to a WRX period!!

19. JohnSS

JohnSS Rookie

Nov 13, 2003
    New Orleans/Auburn
    Full Name:
    John Dyer
    It would if the WRX had a boost controller. Anything with a turbo has huge potential. A friend of mine had a 90 eagle talon AWD and ran 11.4@120 in the 1/4, it was unreal. Sure it looked like a peice, but he wasn't in to that, he wanted to go fast and cheap. I belive he had less than $15,000 in that car period, and that included buying the car. The best thing about his car was that it looked totally stock, no wing, fart can or anything, and a soccer mom sticker on the back!!
    He loves Ferrari's as much as the next guy. (even though he will be going for montoya tonight)

20. BriSalig

BriSalig Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I must preface this by saying that I am a 17 year old male.

Okay, i drive a wrx, and its a great car. I also have a friend with an STi, and it is a great car. I have a buddy with a 2004 M3 SMG, and its a great car. I also have a friend with a C32AMG, and that is a great car. All of the cars above are excellent cars.

The differences are certainly there, and I am pretty familure with all of them, as I have spent a great deal of time driving all of them. I drive the C32 on a regular basis, as well as the M3 at least twice a week. I have driven the STi about 5 times, and I can not get enough of it. I find it much more fun to drive than the M3 or the C32...maybe because it has a real standard tranny, as opposed to the auto in the C32 and the SMG in the M3. My WRX has a standard tranny, and I love it.

What I am trying to say is that all of the cars are extremely cool in their own right. Subaru has really accomplished something excellent with the STi, all of that for 30K. Now I love the german sports sedans too...but they C32 is above 50K, and so was the M3.

21. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
  22. madturk

madturk Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    Williston, ND
    Full Name:
    Seyhan Kilincci
    The subi is a great car period. I've test driven one and was a joy. But I will take on a Subi on the twisties with my 355 anytime. Actually even before I will take on a Subi on my BMW M Coupe. I am sorry but dude you must have no idea of what you are doing. I think the driver makes a big differance. Then the comes the car. Next week you'll tell us how you lost to a BMW M3.

23. codemunky

codemunky Karting

Feb 10, 2004
    Irvine, CA
    Full Name:
    Giancarlo
    LOL! Subaru's have nothing on your 360. As a Subaru owner (GC8), I can tell you now that it is 70% driver and 30% car. Work on your skills, and you will get the most potential out of your car. Keep in mind also that the Subaru is made for that kind of driving. I'm hoping that the 360 will be my second car. Perhaps we shall drive sometime. Cheers!

24. 4nic8or

4nic8or Rookie

Mar 7, 2004

I bet his friends aren't gonna hear jack about the race. Why, you ask? Because this 'rookie', like many on this board, neither owns a ferrari nor ever will. The more likely story is that the creator of this thread was actually the suburu driver, and got owned, thus feeling the need to wag his pee-pee all over this board as some sort of limp-wristed retribution. To start with, no idiot would open up a Ferrari on Cold Water Canyon and secondly, the rest of the post resembles a faintly masked endorsement for the Suburu just a bit too well.

big thumbs down

25. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Eh, maybe. He was looking for a 360 back in December so he may be legit. There's little reason to doubt him at this point. The Subaru is a pretty decent machine