Got beat by a Subaru!! | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Got beat by a Subaru!!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by HMS, Mar 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4nic8or

4nic8or Rookie

Mar 7, 2004
    Yeah, sure, and I just put a deposit down on a retired blue-angels FA-18... Hoping to drag race my buddy in his suburu powered mig-29.

I never said the WRX was a POS, but it's highly doubtful that any guy who just dished out nearly 200,000$ for a modena is going to race on Cold Water Canyon--unless he's James Bond maybe. And James Bond wouldn't lose.

2. Red360Stradale

Red360Stradale Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Bergen County, NJ
    Full Name:
    Kris G
    My friend just sold his 03 WRX, not the STi, and it had 305 hp at the wheels. Man was that thing was fast!

3. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Not to stur this topic up even more but has anyone met HMS & has seen his Ferrari? Any pics? Just look over the post history & just not long ago he was asking about the waiting list. If he did purchase one, don't you think a photo or report on his experience would be posted?

My .02 cets.

4. DrewH

DrewH F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    OK: I had to go and try one to believe that a very ugly four door/four cylinder could come close to a 360 never mind beat one.

I just test drove a 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STI. Peppy little rice rocket. Awesome performance for the price especially if you have kids and need four doors.

Verdict: My 1999 355 Spider would inilate it in the ¼ mile and if we got on a twisty road it would be no competition. Either: 1) The guy who posted doesn’t really own a 360 or: 2) He needs to go to a race driving school to learn to drive. I actually expected it to be close and worth my time to go and test drive. Now I got a salesman phoning me back trying to get me back in to buy something that I was never interested in and all for nothing!

DrewH

5. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    If you're going to test drive cars you aren't interested in, expect the hassle that comes too.

6. sandersja

sandersja Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Portland OR
    Full Name:
    John Sanders
    I have respect for the performance of a new WRX.

However, there are far too many beautiful and interesting machines with comparable performance for me to waste much time with one. There is a lot more to a Ferrari than performance numbers, but I do not see much else in a WRX.

7. ChuckEBaby

ChuckEBaby Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 7, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Chuck
    Is it possible Mr. Gary Green is posting under an alias?

8. codemunky

codemunky Karting

Feb 10, 2004
    Irvine, CA
    Full Name:
    Giancarlo
    LOL! It's all about the driver... The canyons are where the skill outweighs horsepower. It's all about finesse, weight distribution, and getting the most grip. I've passed my friend's cars twice my horsepower. Don't get mad because a car 1/4 your car walks away from you. The driver gets respect in my book. I have some friends who pass crotch rockets, but that's another story.

9. WJHMH

Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
  10. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    On a related note....

Who here thinks it's about time Subaru put out another 2 door? The SVX was pretty crappy for its price (30K ?). But Subaru have developed a real following with the WRX here in the States. Personally, I would love to see a 2 door with the STi powerplant. Anyone agree?

11. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    Agree but you still had a great engine in that car with I think 230 hp which is not bad. The transmission was a disappointement with only a automatic gearbox available. I honestly would like to see a SVX replacement with great looks (like they did with the SVX) , great power , and with a MANUAL gearbox. Oh and the price...lower please.

12. WJHMH

Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    The 22B was a great rally car, one of my personal favorites. I met a man in Houston that wanted to showcase his right hand steering 22B at the dealership where I worked, not sure if he ever did.

Subaru is working on a 2 door convertible to go against the the BENZ SL's & BMW M3's, keep in mind that it's just a prototype.

13. rallyguy

rallyguy Karting

Mar 6, 2004
    Maybe not, but about 40,000 Subaru fans will, it is all over those forums

14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I was racing Spec Rx7 this weekend and the guy that's won the series the past two years just bought a WRX STi. We have a very competitive class. We have fields of 15-20 cars a race. We have an X-Australian karting champion racing with us and others with X pro experience. In other words, this guy is a very very good racer to win the series two years in a row.

He doesn't know anything about Ferraris, but he was telling me about how he took it out on Motorsport Ranch for the first time and there were a couple red Ferraris and a Yellow one he was running with. (I'm pretty sure it was Ric and Jon from a few weeks ago when Ric compared the 360 with mods to the 360 CS).

Well, basically he was running with these cars and frustrated that they wouldn't let him by. He was on street tires but much faster through the corners. Of course the hell of having passing rules only in the straights means that a car can be slow in the corners, but if you have more straight speed you can keep cars from passing.

Anyway, here's a case of an STi with a great driver being all over a 360 w/mods and a 360 CS with good drivers.

15. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    DGS
    I have an STI and a 328 GTB. I have driven them extensively on twisty roads and track events.
    The 328 is always a joy to drive, and like you said, it is about grace in it's style. I love the car and the way it drives. By contrast, the STI is an athletic animal, but smoothness is rewarded in driving, even pickups. Let's face it, the 328's chassis was desgined in the 60's. A great car in it's day and still beautiful, still fun but it's time has passed. R&T has the 328's slalom speed at 60.3 MPH. The STI is 68.3 (The 360 is 67.3). Slalom is not the only handling perameter but it's the best indication of how well a car can change direction.

Drew H & others.
    I would not court too many races with 355's vs STI's. R&T shows the 355B at 4.9 0-60 and 13.3 1/4 mile (spiders are slower). This is identical to STI. Slalom? Best they got was 66.1. One test had it 62.8. STI is 68.3. Brakes? 80-0 355 217, 219, & 222 ft in 3 tests. STI? 193 ft.

I love Fcars, but I don't use rossa corsa glasses looking at their performance. I have had several models on tracks extensively (including a 348 challenge) and I know how they stack up against other cars. Automotive technology has been moving forward by leaps and bounds in the last 15 years. In the late 80's, 328's were about as fast a car that could be bought for any money. Today it's a slug. The 360 is now out just about 5 years. Other makers have caught up and even passed their performance. I am sure it's replacement will set new benchmarks for performance.

For me, FUN is more inportant than paper performance. I've tried lots of hipo cars that were great performers, but did not deliver the intangible aspect of being a joy to drive. Even the slowest 308 is fun for me to drive. M3's are not (apologies to Bimmer owners). The STI is a blast. Yep it's goofy looking, but what else will accelerate like a 355, outhandle and outbrake almost anything and can be tossed about on gravel and mud? Say what you want, but these are perhaps the coolest high production cars offered in decades.

Thanks for reading.

Dave

16. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    Bingo. This is the most logical post yet. If it smells like BS, it probably is BS.

17. JohnSS

JohnSS Rookie

Nov 13, 2003
    New Orleans/Auburn
    Full Name:
    John Dyer
    All I have to say is that there is ALWAYS someone faster, whether it be a viper, turboed civic pos or anything else. The way I look at it is that every car can be faster than mine. Its all a matter of time and money.
    I dont own a F car yet, and when I do it will probably be a 308 gtb 77 or 78. I wont be buying that car for the performance, because performance is short lived, just five years from now the 360 cs will be just average. If you buy these cars just because they are the fastest things on the road then you are going to get let down atleast once in your life and probably a lot more. I really dont see why a subaru beating a 360 is such a big deal. I am sure the next time the guy goes out there will be an evo waiting and then there will be another 5 page post following that incident.
    John

18. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Yes smoothness is important, but to different degrees. The Ferrari rewards a smooth H&T turn more than the EVO -- as you say, it's older technology. (I keep the ancient Alfa Spider for spring refresher training: even on the street, you need to do corners right. The EVO and Ferrari let you get away with being sloppy when you're that far off the limits.) But, with the EVO, it's more important to avoid the road patches, if you don't want a side-step. The "old" Ferrari suspension is more forgiving of bumps when turning -- or maybe I'm just not getting it to its limits. ;)

But I have little respect for the Rodent Track "standard" tests: Their own track times at Willow Springs don't reflect their test numbers. (They rate the 550 poor on standard tests, but when they took them to the track (in "Sibling Rivalry"), they compared it to the 360, but the lap times were better than anything else -- including the Vette and 911 turbo. Lap time results for other cars similarly contradicted the "standard" test indications.)

Of course, you must be happy with R&T at the moment: They just rated the STi "best car of '04". ;) (The EVO was excluded because it's marketed as an "'03".) But that was a readers' choice: the editors seem to be heavily enamored of Vunderbugs.

I think what I first said was, "It's bleedin' about time!!". ;) (I've wanted to see the EVO over here since the EVO3.)

But, for me, what's important is that the EVO will beat the Ferrari easily -- in four inches of snow. :D

19. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    I like the WRX and think the wing is liveable, not all that bad, lends to the rally car look.

20. Angel Bello, Esq.

Dec 10, 2003
    Big mistake!
    Next time, lure your opponent into HIGH speed chases... that's where Ferraris really shine.
    I recently added a 2003 Z-06 C-5 Corvette to my dispatched list... I pulled away at 165mph. Have not heard of many cars capable of that, much less a Subaru.
    Better luck next time.

21. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I believe the street version of Subaru's rally cars have always been faster than the Ferrari v8 model at any particular time.

22. WJHMH

Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Uhhh...I'm not going to even anwser that one.

23. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    is there a point to this thread? WHO CARES ABOUT SUBARUS!!!!!!!they are great 4 wheel drives cars for the money...why are we compairing them to ferrari? and for those people who race there cars in the street..YOU ARE MENACE AND DANGER TO SOCIETY and should be put a away!!!!!!!some people just dont mature beyond the age of 16....

24. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    First of all, this is the FIRST time Subaru has offered a "street" version of its rally car in terms of even a remote resemblance in terms of drivetrain, we are not talking about just a body (yeah and the '04 Chevy Monte Carlo is ALMOST as good as Jeff Gordon's car). The most exciting car Subaru has offered prior to the WRX/STi was the Brat, that was a real winner. Do not get me wrong, I LOVE the WRX and think it would make a great driver/purchase, a lot of bang for your buck. Secondly, why do you seem to have such a hard-on for V8 Fcars? I have seen you make countless posts regarding them in the pejorative as "dinos" and what not. WTF?

25. Angel Bello, Esq.

Dec 10, 2003
    Sorry! Mea Culpa.