Got beat by a Subaru!! | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Got beat by a Subaru!!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by HMS, Mar 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Still a ways to go to beat the Bikini thread at 28,600 views.

That answers the question Subaru vs. Bikinis. :)

2. EVO8

EVO8 Karting

Mar 6, 2004
    Cerritos, LA
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Yeah, stats say nothing even though it says STi is faster. Test drive both and you'll see what I mean, the response and handling of the Evo is superior than the STi and you can just feel that the evo is way faster than the STi. So now I'll say it straight up, Evo(stock) is faster than the STi(stock). Also, almost everyone agrees that the evo looks better than the STi. C'mon, the evo looks "sharp" and the STi looks "roundy."

Also, since this post is about the 360 getting beat by a subaru in a "canyon," hell yea, the evo will definity beat the STi when it comes to canyon runs and turns.

Pics of my car:

www.angelfire.com/mech/evo

A recent evo meet in January: (I am the 2nd guy from the left in the group pic)

www.angelfire.com/mech/axis90702

-Philip

3. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Philip

In contrast I think that the STi looks much better than the Evo. Both for the exteriors and interiors. Just a preference issue, thats all.

4. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

I have driven the EVO VIII but I have driven the EVO IV, V, and VI. I think that the finish of the VIII is far inferior than any of the others I drove. That said, I think that the Suby has a better fit and finish and looks better.

I do have a friend who's the editor of a tuner magazine (as he refers to it) and he says that the Evo is a better car because Suby didn't leave well enough alone and screwed up the steering on the STi. He says that if they had kept the steering like the WRX, then it would absolutely crush the EVO. It's interesting.

5. Eynon Power

Eynon Power Rookie

Mar 8, 2004
    Hey, probally like many others I clicked on this thread from a sooby forum. I think its great some of you give the STi the respect it deserves.

Some people just need to relax though. Yeah, it is a Subaru, and modified correctly, it can beat a ferrari. I personally think the STi is a beautiful car, and would do just about anything to get one. BUT, if someone came to my house with a new STi, and a 355, 360, F40, F50 etc....i wouldn't even have to think about it. Ferrari all the way. Its exotic, fast, and a beautiful car to look at. And to the guy who said the guy in the STi will never own a ferrari, how do you know he doesn't? There are people on this forum that said they have both.

I like how some of you guys refer to it as "just" $30k. People saying those "cheap" seats etc.. lol The STi, right now, is my realistic dream car, and for me, a 22 year old, that just graduated in May, trying to save for a house, motorcycle (probally a pipe dream as of now) and paying his bills is a ton of money. But hey, if anyone is feeling generous i'll give you my paypal account. ;)

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Welcome all the new users coming over from other boards. We have a few jerks here, but most of us respect all cars and non-Ferrari owners. Just 8 years ago I was in your place thinking it would be forever before I could get a Ferrari. At 27 I did get my first Ferrari, so just takes patience. You can get a nice 308 for the price of a STi. Although the STi can stomp a 308 on the track. :)

7. EVO8

EVO8 Karting

Mar 6, 2004
    Cerritos, LA
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Cool...it was just my own opinion that the evo looks better than the STi. Different people have different tastes. I respect the STi too. Having an evo, if I could get another car around 30k, I would get the STi over the 350z, s2000, rx-8, audi tt, bmw z4.

8. DISCOPOPE

DISCOPOPE Rookie

Dec 16, 2003
    mpls, MN
    Full Name:
    aaron uban
    IMO,
    sti = solid daily driver solid track car after mods
    evo = super nice track car right out of the gate with direct hits on fit finish/daily drivability..

i have tons of respect for the evo owners..
    but the choice for me was clear... 315 crank ponies at 1 bar... no fuss, no headache.. no factory rust. :p
    /cheers

9. DISCOPOPE

DISCOPOPE Rookie

Dec 16, 2003
    mpls, MN
    Full Name:
    aaron uban
    ditto you have tons of nasioc viewers..

10. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch

You probably encountered a WRX STi. It is a rally car for the road essentially. Price tag means nothing when it comes to modern performance these days. Do not get me wrong, I love Ferraris, but there are other cars in the $30,000 range that will do the same thing to their more expensive road partners. Sorry. ;)

11. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

I would like to see "everyone" that you are talking about. If "everyone" thought the evo looked better, and as you say it is faster, then NOBODY would buy the STI. Please use some logic while you speak. Such generalizations that you are making are way off base.

I do not know which one is faster nor do I care, I was just pointing out the way you were speaking.

For the record, I saw all the evo pics you posted in your sig, and it made me like the Sti more. The EVO seems to be much more boy racer than the STI.

I will take the STI over evo anyday. Then thats just me.

Have a safe time motoring out there.

12. EVO8

EVO8 Karting

Mar 6, 2004
    Cerritos, LA
    Full Name:
    Philip
    I know, I said "almost everyone" and if you look around, you'll see more evos than STi's. In my life so far, I've seen only about 5 STi's on the street(not shows), compared to about 50 evos on the street(not meets or shows). Again, I was just giving my own opinion of why I like the evo better. I don't care if you like the STi better, I'm not really trying to brag or anything, even though it seems like I am. But I just love the Evo alot and I'm trying to express it LOL!! I'm not trying to start an argument or anything man.....chill.
    As I said, I love the STi too and have respect for it, and if I could buy another car, I'd get it since I already have an Evo.

Pics of my car:

-Philip

13. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Different strokes for different folks. Enjoy the drive phil.

14. EVO8

EVO8 Karting

Mar 6, 2004
    Cerritos, LA
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Thanks.....by the way, do you drive a Ferrari??

15. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    You could click on his profile to find out...

16. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I wonder if this thread will increase sales at your local SUBARU dealer? LOL!

j/k:p

17. ilivas

ilivas Rookie

Mar 8, 2004
    Ferrari's are awesome cars. Maybe when I get out of college I'll be able to afford one. Saying a wrx won't beat a ferrari is just plain ignorant. There are probably thousands of wrx's on the nasioc forum that can bbeat a ferrari (not enzo) inlcuding myself. Take into account most people buy the car to be modified. You dont have to spend much money on the car to put down good numbers. $3000 can easily get you 400 whp on a base model wrx let alone an STi.

Most of us have done suspension work, drivetrain work, engine mods, dyno tunes, etc.

18. EVO8

EVO8 Karting

Mar 6, 2004
    Cerritos, LA
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Agree, I am putting about $5k to give my Evo 400 awhp. So far though, I only have an HKS intake and HKS Carbon-ti exhaust. The main point is you can basically make any car fast, even a pinto if you wanted to. However, you still have to drive home in a pinto...or would you rather drive home in a Ferrari? But it's true that many $20-30k cars can beat a Ferrari.

Pictures of my car:

-Philip

19. Mickey

Mickey Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Linnet Drive
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Ferrari is not necessarily the fastest of all cars.

But no other car can give you a better sense of ownership than a Ferrari.

20. ilivas

ilivas Rookie

Mar 8, 2004
    very true.

well, I dunno, I might get the same effect owning a lambo, but I have no idea.

21. ilivas

ilivas Rookie

Mar 8, 2004
    You can probably get 400 whp for alot less money than that especially on that awesome 4g63 which as of now is clearly superior to our wrx ej20 motors.

22. ZINGARA 250GTL

ZINGARA 250GTL F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 21, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I also have a 360. These fellows are always looking for a piece of me. However, I feel I have earned my car (I am not wealthy) and I have nothing to prove. I drive for pleasure. It also reminds me of an old joke where a lady is berating a fellow for being drunk and he tells her that it's ok because tomorrow he'll be sober but, she'll still be ugly. Enjoy yourself. At least your car doesn't sound like a lawnmower in dire need of a tune.

23. madturk

madturk Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    Williston, ND
    Full Name:
    Seyhan Kilincci
    BMW M Coupe 10 times better then the Subaru. For 30K you have 315hp. stock and for about 4K get some dinan upgrades you can run with 355 almost. If you spend 10K more you will beat the 360. M Coupe kicks a..ss

24. ferrari got owned

Mar 9, 2004
    #149 ferrari got owned, Mar 9, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  25. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    LMAO!!! Thats great!