got my car back from Detailing Dynamics | Page 2 | FerrariChat

got my car back from Detailing Dynamics

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by 348SStb, Jul 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Saw their website, which is nice...

Please explain what the $750 for an EXTERIOR detail involved???

Was this itemized? I love Ferrari's, and am willing to accept that parts are expensive, specialized service is expensive, depreciations is expensive...etc.

But $750 for what is essentially a wash and wax, just seems awefully high...

How many hours did it take?
    Are we talking about 7 layers of wax here?
    Did they clean the calipers/wheel wells/ diassemble parts of the car?
    Any significant paint work?

The value of a service is basically what it is worth TO YOU. But a $750 detail makes Ferrari majors sound cheap...

"Gee. How much was your last major..."

"5000$!!!"

"Wow, thats expensive!"

"Naw, it was like the equivilant of 6 car washes and waxes..."

Don't your cars need another "detail" 300 miles later?!

2. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    bpu, as said already:
    u can get a steak from danny, or get a steak from luper.
    u can buy a $10 bottle of wine, or $75 bottle of wine.

3. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    These last posts brought to mind this Thread :)

4. Black355

Black355 F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Emil
    No other detailer is a detailer. They are a high-end car wash.

Detailing Dynamics OWNS the category. Hands down.

Yeah, it's expensive. Yeah, it's worth it.

Nope, don't go to them every month. Go once a year. Go when you get a new ride. When you want to sell your ride. Nope, don't go and ask them for a wash. They're not for washing.

5. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

Emil is right. These guys invented the ****.

Just so you guys know, the job they did for me was nowhere near $750. Note even close.

HOWEVER...

For $750, they must have done extensive work on Gary's car. It seems like a lot, but for $750 I can just about imagine how awesome the job came out. These guys keep the car for days and they make miracles.

Anyway, the trick is the get a price in advance. Get them to give you a ballpark figure, even though they are reluctant to do so. Then tell them the price UNDER which you would like to be before you give them the car. These are simple, commonsense negotiating techniques of which I'm sure most are aware. :)

6. Gary Res

Gary Res Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Guys,

First of all, I have to thank Emil. He sent me to two of the best (yr ago). DD and RPM racing. Love them both. DD is a whole other level in detailing. Let me explain the $750.00. A few months ago I decided to detail my car (myself) and decided for what ever the reason was, that a claying was necessary because I thought I can get the Black even deeper. Some of you guys know my car, and know that its as shiny as it gets. So..I proceeded to clay the car before using a pre wax. What I didn't relize (sp) was that the clay bar had this transparent plastic on one side of it. Thats the side I used. Yes. Stupid mistake. I noticed that the clay bar wasn't moving like it did in the past. It felt like it was scratching. When I relized that it was scratching I already did the upper half on one side and the hood. I started to have palpitations. I really thought that I would need to get it painted. Instead of trying to correct the mistake by using a firmer pad on the orbital and a cleaner, I decided not to do anymore damage and call Matt. A couple of days later I brought the car to him. He did not remove my wheels or do my interior or my engine. He spent time on the outside, I guess compounding to remove the "fine" scratches. Then he appllied a wax. He didn't even address the bottom of the car. He did have the car for about three to four days and he did work on it. Did he work on it 24 hours. I don't think so. Did he remove 99% of the scratches and touched up the front spoiler? Yes. Did the car look amazing? Yes. Again, ask the guys who were at ROE this year. The car looked new. Like Emil said, once a year he's worth it. I don't think that a normal detail would of been anything near $750.00, but mine wasn't a "normal" detail. Did the work warrant $750.00? Thought it was a lot of money. So mine was maybe double the normal. I chose to go to him, because of his reputation. He's the Best. Thats what I paid for. Would I spend $750 for a detail? No. He's not a carwash detailer. It's really another level.

7. Gary Res

Gary Res Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Gary

Hey Dave,

I live in your hood. You live on my friends block. The Kiviats. I live off of Wilimington.

Gary

8. Gary Res

Gary Res Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I hope that your first Ferrari doesn't have the "usual" oil drip the 1st day you buy it! Sounds like you'll kill youself!

9. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Gary: I can imagine your horror when you saw the damage. I was at ROE, and can attest that the car looked like new. Money well spent.

10. Gary Res

Gary Res Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Can you imagine if it looked like sh*t and I paid that much! Then I got ripped off. It really did look good. See...after three months I can now justify it. How's the new house?

11. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Does DD do houses? j/k, coming along.

12. Gary Res

Gary Res Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Gary
    They do. Special price for moderators: $23,500.00 for the basic cleaning and no laundry!

13. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo

I have long learned that old cars pretty much all have some drips...its a sign of healthy aging :).

$750 for a detail is by most accounts, outrageous. BUT, as was just explained - the car wasn't really "detailed" but had paint damage repaired. 2 different things.

We all love our cars, and I can understand the need for them to be attractive. And God, by all means, spend as much as you want/need/can afford on them. To each his own...

For the person who made the comparison of eating steak at Denny's vs a fancy restaurant: I prefer McDonalds myself, thanks. I will have the large diet coke and two breakfast burritos (God, these things are good)...and with the money I save, I will just BUY the McDonalds :). Expensive food just never did anything for me... ;)

Guys, enjoy your cars!

14. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris

Its not about if expensive food does anything for you, or what you prefer, its about if there is difference between denny's and fancy place.

I have never paid over $100 for any detail, the only detail I paid was back in college on a '93 Honda Civic for $75. but that does not mean that $75 detail is same as a $500 detail from DD. You get what you pay for, simple as that.

15. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003

you got the guys number with the $75 detail?

16. JC360

JC360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    NYC...and soon WC 2
    Full Name:
    Jon C.
    the facts:

a) detailing dynamics did us a favor by taking responsibility of having the
    transporter pick up/drop off (after hours) from their place.
    b) all of our cars were filthy when dropped off.
    c) pchop your car i was told was there at the shop for approx 1 week.

i am not defending dd or attacking you pchop, just stating the facts.

17. pchop

pchop F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2002
    Usually NY often elsewhere.
    Full Name:
    John
    John Chen,

First of all, when people has something negative to say about Ferrari of Long Island, I respect their opinion because they did not personally attack me. Second of all, I don't go around and collect people's receipts from the dealership, because a) it's unethical and b) it's my personal info.

I'm entitled to my opinion about the whole situation. You were not there and you were not part of my entire conversation with them. The content of my entire conversation was a lot nastier than what I have posted. I never personally attacked you for anything, except to share my experience. So why the are you in my face JC?!!!

So until you get your facts straight, please kindly shut the FOCK up.

If you want to pick a fight with me, you better be DAMN sure you know what you're talking about.

18. pchop

pchop F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2002
    Usually NY often elsewhere.
    Full Name:
    John
    btw, scott backed out last minute and you needed someone to fill the spot, that's when I was asked. Had I knew the trailer was open, I would never agreed to ship my car. But I gave my word so I stuck to it.

I don't give a **** if the pick up is at DD or I need to drive somewhere myself. They're not doing me ANY favor. No my car was not there for 7-days. I was informed that the car has arrived the day after it got to DD, THEN I picked it up approximate 4 days later (and I was late due to weather).

However, why do you need to fill my car up with GAS if it's only being moved in and out. EVEN if it's for four days? How much gas can it possibly burn?

So I don't understand what's the focking point?

BTW, for the **** you just pulled, I'm seriously reassessing our friendship.

19. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    #44 sjmst, Jul 8, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  20. JC360

JC360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    NYC...and soon WC 2
    Full Name:
    Jon C.
    pchop, i was at DD all afternoon. while waiting for my car to be done, i confronted matt and eddie regarding the fuel charge. i told them i was frankly very pissed and disappointed about hearing that someone i know got charged for something like that. i wanted them to explain what happened. I DID NOT ASK FOR YOUR RECEIPT OR INVOICE. being a loyal and frequent customer, they went out of their way to prove that they are a fair, honest shop who did ME a favor (by charging less than an hours fee, by charging for a basic inside/outside job) and they are very pissed and disappointed. being a shop that i go bi-weekly visits, i am astonished that they would ripped one of the ec/fchat crew. that is why i posted it, because they asked me to, and i wanted to set the facts straight. if they were registered they could have posted, but just like they do me and my friends favors, i did them a favor to clear their name in this case. pchop we have our differences on a lot of things, i know. please dont be so sensitive. relax.

21. JC360

JC360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    NYC...and soon WC 2
    Full Name:
    Jon C.
    pchop i understand your point of view. no problem. i still love you.

22. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    I see you upgraded from a trailer to a house in the 'burbs. Was this the recent move you were talking about? Very nice.

Oh, and the car looks nice too.

23. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Never mind that, Clyde, try to fix the beef YOU started with JC and P Chop.

24. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    You overpaid and this shop does crappy work. I think I still see a swirl mark in the paint.

Get your money back............

25. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    we should have an fchat battleroyal