got my car back from Detailing Dynamics | Page 4 | FerrariChat

got my car back from Detailing Dynamics

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by 348SStb, Jul 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jptyke

jptyke Formula 3

Sep 28, 2004
    Manhattan, NY
    Full Name:
    Master P.
    Hey Matt,

Nice plug for your brother. If you want to just put in your 2 cents...then don't plug your families business. Your comments and opinions are fine, just don't solicit business while doing it

2. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    He didn't post a name, phone number, nothing. Didn't seem like a plug or solicitation to me...

3. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    i sort of remember someone posting about starting some exotic rental biz? no name, no phone#, no address, nothing.
    what happened to him? he was called spam? the thread was deleted?

4. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    loook homies,

every shop has their bad experiences and their good experiences.
    so i think this THREAD IS USELESS, just like the other threads about which f car repair shops that people can recommend.

everyone knows that DD charges a bit more than everywhere else. so there is no point to keep talking about their prices.

5. udalmia

udalmia Guest

hey since everyone is plugging people left and right i thought it best to say a word for regev, he came to my house a couple of sat. afternoon's earlier and detailed my car for free IN MY garage (this was a 1-time thing for charity), great job, usual charge is $150.
    RMdetailing

6. MP355

MP355 Rookie

Oct 5, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Matt
    My apologies to all. Apparently the message my brother and I were trying to get across is being misread and for that, we must be guilty of putting it out wrong.

Master P & Chris: Guys, our only intention in the post was to illustrate that other shops can do quality work for under $750. If you look in my profile, there is no link to my brother's personal biz. Even if I did get a PM asking for his number, I would have to decline because he has more biz then he can handle. (he does have a day job) The only reason I even let him read this thread and state his opinion was because he has first hand experience in the detailing business. The pictures were ONLY used to back up the message that other places can do great work too. I apologize if it came across as a solicitation.

Hubert: Sorry to keep beating a dead horse by adding yet another post to this thread. I am just trying to prove that my intentions were honorable. I love Ferrari chat and don't want people to get the wrong idea about the point my brother and I were trying to make.

7. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    1) Nothing wrong with robust debate
    2) I really didn't see any overt plugs or spam-like behavior.
    I agree, that trying to boost your business by using this board is TERRIBLE. I have NEVER seen that before.
    However, if anyone would like a more detailed opinion, PM me:
    Sam J. Germana
    Attorney at Law
    "Your Lawyer is Your Friend"

8. Matt@DD

Matt@DD Karting

Jul 18, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Matt Zakarian
    Gentlemen, originally I was not going to respond to this thread. But over the course of the last week this has gotten a bit ridiculous. I know there are always two sides to a story, but I believe that "DOCUMENTATION BEATS CONVERSATION" and the only way to set the record straight is with facts and logic. My only aim is to set the record straight and not to make myself look good and someone wrong.

Quote: "pchop]ringmeister, i do think DD does phenomonal work. however, my issue is with them is ETHICS. I'm turned off by the pushy sales to push me do the whole wax job even after I told them that I'm selling my car and the car is going to FLI for PPI. Then they told me that they discovered swirls and scratchs on the roof of my 550 (which I never found...maybe I'm getting old)."

John, I believe our obligation as a business is to inform customers as to what we believe their cars need to look their best. You told me that you were planning to sell your car and I gave you my opinion that people usually "buy with their eyes" and detailing your car for a sale in this case is an investment and not an expense. Over the phone you asked me the cost to wax the car and I responded, but also said that obviously until we wash your car we won't know what's under the dirt. Once we cleaned it, Eddie called you and updated you on the condition of the paint before we did anything. And you're right John, the marks on your 550 were visible insidoors under the lights and not outside. The reason we told you about them is b/c if you had your car for sale in a dealership or well lit garage, the prospective buyer would see them too and that would give him one more reason to haggle the price down. Your questioning our ethics is like you going to a dentist for a cleaning, having the dentist inform you that you have a cavity and you questioning your dentist's ethics b/c you didn't think you had a cavity before. And btw, your argument that we tried to hard sell you on the detail is completely w/o logical merit. During our busy season (Apr.-Nov.) our waiting list is over a month, and for us to try to sell you on a detail when we're already booked solid is ridiculous.

Quote: "After I declined the wax job, I see an extra fuel charge appearing on the bill when I arrived. Again we're not talking about a merely 3-4 gallons to make sure I have enough gas, but $38 for less than 3/4 tank of fuel?!! (Not to mention I know I still had a few gallons left in the tank when I dropped my car off in Vegas)."

First of all, I filled your car up with gas the day before we washed it. The day your car was dropped off the transport from Vegas, the gas light was already on; I had no way of knowing whether it had a couple of gallons or ounces. I did it as a courtesy to you. I used to always call the customers and ask them if they wanted us fill their car up and their response was always the same; "Just fill it up and tell me how much so I don't have stand at a gas station and pump gas after picking up my car at your shop". Looking back John, the only thing I could have done different is call you before filling it. If that's an error in judgement, then I am guilty of it and I APOLOGIZE. But it certainly wasn't a way for us to make a profit off the gas (I don't own the gas station).

Quote: "They are aware of my unhappiness of this on day one; and had plenty time to either make it right or to clarify the "misunderstanding".

Of all the things you said John, this is the one that dissappointed me the most. You never said anything about the gas issue to myself or Eddie until this post. As you were leaving the day you picked up your car, I asked if everything was satisfactory and you said yes, thanked me and shook my hand. You mention the word "ethics" in your post which is a very powerful word that to me has a strong meaning. I try to live my life and run my business with that word in mind constantly. Perhaps you should reconsider if your actions live up to your criteria. You accused and found us guilty w/o even informing us that you were not 100% satisfied with your experience. I believe that in life you should always give people at least one chance to make things right. Now if you told us and we dismissed your experience, then you have all the right to share your opinions. John, even though I don't know you very well, I beleive your intent was not malicious, but as much as I'd like to I can't go back in time and make the whole misunderstanding vanish. But I can tell you that had you confronted me at the time and shared with me how you felt, I would have done everything I could to make it right.

Quote: "Instead as the shrew business people they are, they have the audacity to share my PRIVATE receipt with another fellow member of the f-chat to "clear" their name, b/c I said $50 for fuel (honesty mistake) instead of $38."

No one ever said we are shrewd business people. As a matter of fact, I always tell customers that if I was as bad at detailing as I ran my business, no one would come here. And as far as your receipt, the fellow member who saw your receipt was the person who referred you to us. And righlty so, he believed that your not-so-positive experience also reflected on him. Instead of just telling him our version of the story, I shared with him the facts (the receipt). None of your personal info was on the receipt. And BTW, if you still believe we charged you more for the gas than we put in, I can fax you our c/c statement with the exact amount just so you have the facts. Also, @ about $2.60/gal for supreme, the $38 charge equates to only 14.6 gallons.

Quote: "I know they do financial "favors" for some members so certain members have vested interest in saying good things about them."

Now this is the best one yet . I have no idea where you got this one. In the 12 years of business, I've never even had any coupons to promote business (even in the beginning when we were struggling). I'll make you an offer, I'll pull up all the invoices from all the people who supposedly "have a vested interest", you pick out the lowest ones from each person and switch it w/ yours - and you pay their amount. Then tell us how much of a financial favors we supposedly do for these people.

Quote: "DD does a much better job repairing the paint blemishes on a customer's car than the blemish on their reputation.[/QUOTE]"

This is another good one. This thread is in it's 5th page and just now I reluctanly responded. I don't believe a innocent person has to defend himself. I know in my heart our customers will always be loyal to us, and the rest of the Ferrari owners will sooner or later find out how we have grown over ther last 12 years w/o really advertising, offering any specials and never putting our fellow competitors down.

9. Eddie@DD

Eddie@DD Rookie

Jul 18, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Sadly, as much as I'd like to disagree w/ Matt, I can't.. He's spot on.. Too late to post in detail but everything Matt has said is more than 100% accurate.

10. Challenge_Stradale

May 14, 2005
    NY
    My wife and I placed 14th (out of 24) in the PCA Rally to Pindar Vineyards (L.I.) Saturday.

My 997 S Cab took 1ST PLACE in the Concours and won "peoples choice".

There were only 15 or so cars in the show but I'll take it. It was a big surprise, I only went intending to compete in the rally (our first one)

Thanks Matt & Eddie @ Detailing Dynamics !

11. Eddie@DD

Eddie@DD Rookie

Jul 18, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Thank you Greg, for always beeing such an outstanding person.
    Say Hi to Heidi and I hope to see you guys soon.
    P.S. Keep on posting. Your check is in the mail :))))

12. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny

Taunting and imitating a potential client on a public forum probably isn’t the best way to increase your popularity.. I’ll leave it at that.

13. Eddie@DD

Eddie@DD Rookie

Jul 18, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    Edward
    If I'd known it was a popularity contest, I would have tried harder.

P.S. No check for youuuu :)

14. Challenge_Stradale

May 14, 2005
    NY

"Your check is in the mail"
    ROTFLMAO !

I didn't understand the whole gas thing either ? I mean surely this person wasn't going to try and sell a car with an empty tank. How ethical would that be ?

Later..

15. Matt@DD

Matt@DD Karting

Jul 18, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Matt Zakarian

16. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Well said, Matt.

17. Challenge_Stradale

May 14, 2005
    NY
    Ditto......... Very well said.
    I had no-doubt but it was good to hear it first-hand.

18. pchop

pchop F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2002
    Usually NY often elsewhere.
    Full Name:
    John
    Matt and Eddie,

(Matt, you were a gentleman to speak with on the phone. I think it was Eddie, whom I had most of the unpleasant conversation with.)

Let's me just state a few facts that was not so factual in your response:

1. I informed you my car was SOLD (not selling), I would like to give the car to FoLI in clean condition as a courtesy.

2. You clearly informed me that the scratches are "ON THE ROOF" (not inside the door) AND I was informed of this in a separate telephone call after I have REPEATED declined for the wax job. You stated that "the scratches are probably due to the open trailer and it looks really bad and is clearly noticeable". Matt and Eddie, do you really think that a customer is going to haggle prices with me over hair line scratches inside the door?!! Give me a break!!

3. FYI, back in May, Crude Oil (per barrel was in the $50s) so Premium gas was much lower than $2.60s (which is more like current price). First you guys didn't have any receipt, then you guys stated to another F-chatter that you actually put $45 into my car but don't remember how much, so you decided to charge me $38 instead. Having a C.C. statement don't mean a thing. I could show you my C.C. statement with a $38 charge and told you that last week I filled up your car with $38 of gas.

4. Favors are usually free, and one of those favors are known as Soft Dollar. Soft Dollar are not going to reflect on the invoice. So an invoice wouldn't prove your innocence. (BTW, that comment about financial favors WAS NOT DIRECTLY at you guys)

5. When I first called and inqired about my total invoice amount, you told me it was $65 plus tax. I know I had $80 bucks in my wallet and I didn't have to go to an ATM. When I got there, the bill came out to be higher than what was quoted on the phone, AND THAT's the reason why I had to pay with my credit card b/c I didn't have enough cash in my pocket. So it's true that you guys quoted me two different prices at two different times.

6. The reason I didn't say anything when I left is b/c I left with a bad taste in my mouth and I didn't want to do business with you guys again. And the reason you guys knew I was unhappy is b/c I had a conversation with a fellow F-chatter and he contact you on your cell phone the very next day.

Matt and Eddie, my friends know that I'm not a cheap person. I NEVER said that the $200 detailing was expensive, nor would I care if you put gas in my car (with profit or not). I actually think you guys do great detailing work and is worth every penny. I NEVER short changed any of my friends, NOR have I ever not put in my fare share of a bill. My problem with you guys is not about money; it's about that you guys were extremely pushy in selling the service which I don't need, then you guys called me up and told me about the scratches. Then when I got there, the bill is different than the amount that was quoted on the phone. How the hell do you expect me to to feel?!!

This could just be a serious of events that caused a misunderstanding. But you guys knew I was unhappy, and all it took was a phone call to clear things up. Yet, you guys didn't even have the courtesy to do that knowing fully that I was questioning the bill.

P.S. - fyi, a business document constitutes a transaction between two parties. Without a permission from either party, such documents may not be used without a court subpena (regardless of what information was or wasn't on the document). That's the reason why Ferrari dealership black out the name and address of the service records from prior owner(s). Any lawyers please chime in if I'm wrong.

19. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Btw, just to clarify:
    My comment of "well said" was in reply to Matt's response to Rob Ferretti.

20. Matt@DD

Matt@DD Karting

Jul 18, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Matt Zakarian
    1. I informed you my car was SOLD (not selling), I would like to give the car to FoLI in clean condition as a courtesy.

The first time you spoke to me on the phone you told me you were planning "to sell" the car, not that it was sold. This I'm very clear on John.

2. You clearly informed me that the scratches are "ON THE ROOF" (not inside the door) AND I was informed of this in a separate telephone call after I have REPEATED declined for the wax job.

Perhaps I did not communicate clearly, but what I meant was that we saw the marks on the roof once we pulled your car inside the shop. Also, Eddie called you only once and told you what we saw. You told him that FOLI would detail it anyway and it would be a waste for you to pay for it. We said OK and that was that.

3. FYI, back in May, Crude Oil (per barrel was in the $50s) so Premium gas was much lower than $2.60s (which is more like current price). First you guys didn't have any receipt, then you guys stated to another F-chatter that you actually put $45 into my car but don't remember how much, so you decided to charge me $38 instead. Having a C.C. statement don't mean a thing. I could show you my C.C. statement with a $38 charge and told you that last week I filled up your car with $38 of gas.

Yes, but the CC statement coincides directly with the date your car was at our shop and there are no other gas charges within months of that date. Plus, my car was not with you and you admit that you had 3/4 of a tank of gas upon pickup whereas your car had maybe a gallon or two prior to. We can go back and forth on this but I know what the facts are b/c I looked up it up myself for my own peace of mind.

4. Favors are usually free, and one of those favors are known as Soft Dollar. Soft Dollar are not going to reflect on the invoice. So an invoice wouldn't prove your innocence. (BTW, that comment about financial favors WAS NOT DIRECTLY at you guys)

Perhaps I misunderstood, but who are "they" then?

6. The reason I didn't say anything when I left is b/c I left with a bad taste in my mouth and I didn't want to do business with you guys again. And the reason you guys knew I was unhappy is b/c I had a conversation with a fellow F-chatter and he contact you on your cell phone the very next day.

You brought up ethics and integrity. Then you go and talk behind our backs to another of our customers. How is that acting with integrity? Doing the right things in life is not always easy and this is a perfect example. You had the chance to express your experience to me face to face, via email or by phone. Would you not expect the same treatment from a customer of you business?

Matt and Eddie, my friends know that I'm not a cheap person. I NEVER said that the $200 detailing was expensive, nor would I care if you put gas in my car (with profit or not). I actually think you guys do great detailing work and is worth every penny. I NEVER short changed any of my friends, NOR have I ever not put in my fare share of a bill. My problem with you guys is not about money; it's about that you guys were extremely pushy in selling the service which I don't need, then you guys called me up and told me about the scratches. Then when I got there, the bill is different than the amount that was quoted on the phone. How the hell do you expect me to to feel?!!

John, we never said anything about your financial habits. We don't know you that well and it is not our place to judge people. Again, I wish I could go back in time and make everything perfect, but I can't. I am doing my best here and now to let you know that our intention was never to take advantage of you and I'm very disappointed in that you feel that way.

John, let's put this to rest. Both of us have stated our views clearly without making it personal and life goes on.

21. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    Matt, thank you for your detailed response, my issues that would prevent repeat business were more along the lines of the personality conflict with eddie I guess. I understand that people will pay for a better service as with anything in life, if you are catering to a market more power to you. For example, I personally would not spend the $ to rent an exotic for a weekend, but i see the market is there.
    Issues that bothered me are the redlining the cold motor in front of me 3-4 times. Making ethnic jokes about italians in front of me. Now, I am a laid back guy and I dont mind jokes coming from people i've known for awhile, but its inappropriate from someone I dont know. The bad mouthing the bodyshop who repainted the bumper and the bumper wrap from tecknik1. (it wasn't a miscommunication because I would respect a "we do it differently" vs. a "they did a ****ty job") All of this combined is just a genral lack of respect which is fine to feel or say but not in front of the customer.

The only question i would ask is if you saw a crack and called noah to tell him about it....why would you apply heat to it? also why would you apply heat to the windshield to begin with?

Thats it really, thank you for your response and good luck with you future business ventures I am sure you will have many more satisfied customers.

22. pchop

pchop F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2002
    Full Name:
    John
    We can go back and forth on this, but I too am very clear of this. Prior to my car being shipped to FoLI, my car WAS sold. I told FoLI this and they knew this perfectly clear. If you would like further proof, go ask Gianni. I told him, I already found a buyer, I'm running the transaction through them. My car never even hit the showroom floor.

Yes, Eddie did call me once b/c I spoke to you first.

Matt, I would've happyly gave you the money had you guys told me that in advance. Whether you actually filled it up with $20 or $38 of gas, I don't care if you made money or not. I just felt taken advantage of when you guys told me one price on the phone and when I got there, it's a different price.

I was direting my comment at the person who posted my receipt. The same person who I thought knew me and my character - which is I'm not cheap, I'm not difficult to do business with and I value loyalty, integrity and honor. If he thought I had mistaken the situation, he should've came to me first and understood where I was coming from, before posting the receipt on the public forum AND insult my intelligence by stating he was looking out for me.

Btw, THAT person did not refer me to you. I came to you guys when Emil and Roy came to get Roy's Blue Viper detailed. I knew you guys were expensive, but I also thought you guys were freaking awesome! When Emil was spreading the good work you guys do, I went a long and stated that I saw your facility and was a huge fan of you guys, too. Search the forum maybe you'll even find some of the more positive things I have said about you guys.

So you DID know about my unhappiness...since I never mentioned to you that the fellow f-chatter who called you the next day is another customer...GOTCHA! You had plenty time to contact me and clearup the misunderstanding (which would've prevented the situation we are in now). By the way, I only shared my bad experience with one person - the fellow f-chatter who called you the next day, b/c he used you guys before. He said he will find out what's up, but unfortunately you guys never bothered contacting me. Which to me is quite arrogant and when someone posted this forum, I made a wisea$$ comment: "did they charge you for gas." I didn't share the whole story until my receipt got posted. Believe me, if I did the same to my customer, they should share their experience with other people...but I also know that I would've contact them soon enought to prevent such things from happening.

You can't go back in time, but you could've at least called and say "hey man, I heard you were P/O. Just want to make sure there's no misunderstanding." Matt, I never asked for anything in return, unlike people who asks for favors or free stuff, I don't want you to refund the $38 to me; all I asked for was a simple call which would've made all the misunderstanding disappear. I gave you guys plenty of time and chance to clear things up. But arrogance got the better part of you...and for that I'm, too, very disappointed (especially how highly I thought of you guys before).

Then why did you bring this up again this morning?! I did put this to rest until this morning.

23. JC360

JC360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    NYC...and soon WC 2
    Full Name:
    Jon C.

24. JC360

JC360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    NYC...and soon WC 2
    Full Name:
    Jon C.
    eddie and matt, what checks are people referring to?!
    i havent gotten 1.
    i think you guys are still drunk from saturday night!

25. pchop

pchop F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2002
    Full Name:
    John
    I do drop names to network, not a$$-kissing.

More importantly, I don't do it for personal gains at the expense of a friend. If one of my friend has what I consider a misunderstanding situation, I would first approached him/her to find out what's going. To me, loyalty to my friends is a hell of a lot more important than a business relationship. B/c loyalty with friends is priceless; I know I can count on my friends being there for me for better or worse. However, a business relationship is measured in "Dollars and Cents".

JC, wake up and get a reality check on your inflated ego.