Got my Haller plate!! | FerrariChat

Got my Haller plate!!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by navygakman, Mar 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. navygakman

navygakman Karting

Feb 15, 2002
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    Stewart Chung
    #1 navygakman, Mar 11, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Nice day in Seattle today so I took the Zonker out for a spin. Just cruising along on the city streets below the speed limit and saw a black-n-white coming from the other direction. He passed me and of course (by instinct like all F-owners) I looked in my rear view mirror. The guy made a U-turn and got on my six.

I didn't have to even guess that he wanted to have a word with me, my car is:
    A. A Ferrari
    B. Yellow and
    C. No front license plate

So right away I just pulled into a parking lot. Sure enough, he followed me in and stopped next to me. I was right he spotted me because I did not show a front plate. But he was real nice about it informing me that it is still required, we chatted about where the plate could go and for the next half hour I was giving him a tour of the engine compartment. Needless to say, I did not get cited.

In fact I have been stopped a few times for not having a front plate (especially in Medina where traffic violation is about the only exciting crime they get) and never gotten cited. However, it is an inconvenience nonetheless to be stopped and I hate to have to keep wondering if I would get pulled over each time I come across a police car. Or give them an excuse to do so just because I "look" fast.

So today I got my Haller plate (homage to John Haller who started doing this for his 355). So I thought to share it with you guys who may have a similar problem. Granted this is still not 100% kosher per vehicle code but I think at least you are showing an effort to respect the law.

I simply went to Kinko, got a color copy of my front plate, reduced to fit the spoiler. Have it laminated and double stick it on the car (my spoiler has stoneguard so double stick tape is OK). So it flies off when I go 190, I'll just get another one from Kinko ;)

No more worries now. Thanks John for the good idea.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    #2 ghost, Mar 11, 2004
  3. navygakman

navygakman Karting

Feb 15, 2002
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    Stewart Chung
    John has a 355, so his "counterfeit plate" was smaller than mine, but it looked fine. Again, it is to "show an effort" and avoid getting hassled.

4. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    It's definitely doable, but at some point it gets so small that it kinda looks like you counterfeited it/slapped it on, whereas with your plate, I might actually be hard pressed to tell.

5. shelbee

shelbee Guest

Indeed looks cool on Haller's 355. Sorry had to smear it since it is HIS car not mine.

BTW did you ever found your stolen 911??

Thank goodness I never got stopped in Medina driving F-cars. I guess I don't have yellow F-car like yours,

6. shelbee

shelbee Guest

Are they EURO front signal. If I can ask where do you get them, wonder whether they sell one for front signal 456M's??

7. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    #7 ghost, Mar 11, 2004
    Shelbee, the car posted above is not mine. That being said, i did install Euro signals on my 355B recently (see pic below). I bought my lenses from a private seller, although I know one of our sponsors -- HG Parts -- sells Euro lenses for 355s, and might be able to find/fabricate something for 456's as well.

8. navygakman

navygakman Karting

Feb 15, 2002
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    Stewart Chung
    No. The 911 was never found. Just as well - that car has problems. Insurance paid off my ex and she bought a new MBZ. She is happy as hell and I don't have to maintain it :)

As to Medina, you know around 4 to 5 PM, they often just station a cop car at 92nd, right before the onramp for 520 to Seattle (where the cars are bumper to bumper, lined up to go on the freeway). The cop just walk up and down the lined up cars like border patrol and check for sh*t like expired tags or no front plate?? Stay away from there!

9. shelbee

shelbee Guest

Always at 25 mph. Take 84th exit off 520 everyday!!

10. shelbee

shelbee Guest

Thanks. I will check with HG parts. I don't know why they put clear lens on 456 but orange lens on 456M. I think I like clear way better. Nice 355GTB with clear lens by the way!!

11. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Interesting.
    So on a car like F355, is plate required or not in a state that require front plate?
    Because the car obviously did not come from factory with front plate holder, so is it exempt or no?

12. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    #12 murph7355, Mar 12, 2004
    ghost - vinyl plates fit quite easily...

I prefer the "no plate look", but the police are quite anal about front plates here in the UK, mostly because we have front facing speed scameras now!

I had these plates made up on reflective vinyl, so to all intents and purposes they're just like normal plates. Only difference is they follow the curves of the front bumper.

I had this made when my normal plate fell off at speed. Could have had it done smaller if I'd wanted, but needed the font size and spacing to follow UK law (which this does).

Another option I use on my other car (last picture) is to have a broken plate in the boot and no plate on the front. If I ever get stopped I tell the boys in blue it just fell off and I'm going to get a new one :) A ruse which may work over there.

The company that did the plate is UK based, but I'm sure there are US based firms that could do a similar job. In fact, there are a number of fantastic art shops near East 18th Street in NYC (close to Adorama Camera) and I'm sure they'd be able to sort something out for you...

13. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    #13 ghost, Mar 12, 2004
    If required by the state, then "theoretically" it is required, and you will find stories on this forum about people who have been pulled over and given warnings/citations about not driving with a front plate in states that require it. Additionally, it is possible to mount a license plate up front, although the Euro plates -- with their thinner, sleeker designs -- look much more elegant than a US plate.

14. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Thanks Murph...I guess we posted at the same time. :D

Agree with you on do-ability. Just think that doing something like this with Euro plates is much sleeker, 'cause US plates are ugly and don't fit our cars well!! :(

15. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    How about silk-screening it (full sized even) on - well - a screen -- a fine window screen mesh in vinyl, like a mosaic. Looks okay from a distance, but doesn't block air
    (or reflect radar (evil grin)).

You'd have to stretch it across the plate frame.

Just a thought.

16. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Sounds interesting. Pics?

17. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    The Euro plates fall off quite easily though in my experience. The bumper's curved so you don't get much area to stick them too, without using ultra-sticky tape and then I'd worry about taking it off ever. No way am I drilling the car :)

I was thinking that you could get the US style plate printed onto vinyl and stick it on in the same way. I believe US plates are similar in height to ours, maybe a bit taller, but are substantially narrower.

Incidentally, changing your indicators to clear ones was a good move. I think the car looks much better like this (and it's a great motor!).

How long have you had it? How do you find driving the car around NYC? Never saw one while I was living there, and with the state of the roads it didn't surprise me :)

Was considering bringing the Caterham over for a tour of the US, but the roads leave a question mark for that idea too.

18. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The word is out in Texas, too!

Crack down on "No Front Plate"!

Not sure if we can sell the repros here, dem boys is MEAN!!!!

19. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Boy, am I glad I live in Georgia! (No front plates here.)

20. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Murph735,

That's a great idea and looks very clean. It does not look that much worse than no plate imo. If you use a hair dryer to heat it a bit it may mold to the shape a bit better and stay on longer.

21. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    In Washington State a front plate is required with one or two specific models exempted (forget what they were, or why). When I inquired at the state DMV, they were adament that you MUST have a front plate.

22. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    No need to heat them up...

Apply soapy water liberally to where you want it sticking, slide it on, then ease the bubbles out with a cloth and firm pressure.

Once it's dry, hey presto. Follows the contours perfectly.

23. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Here in Indiana we dont use front plates. I guees consider me lucky. But what you did Navy Man was a great idea.