Got no oil pressure, tacho,water temp, fuel level, water temp!!! | FerrariChat

Got no oil pressure, tacho,water temp, fuel level, water temp!!!

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by wintech, May 9, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wintech

wintech Karting

Jun 1, 2011
    Perth WA
    Full Name:
    Pete K
    Hi everyone,
    Did the C11 amendment due to warm start, bypassed (as well as jumped)the white wire to bypass the ci rcuit board, 6mm spade connector on the white wire to the solenoid. Started her up and all good but noticed the readings on tacho, water temp, oil pressure, fuel guage (tank shows full but on refill before mods) showing nil! The water temp came up to where the overflow was a spittin' but no thermo's kicked in. Checked all the C11 conns, went deeper into the wiring diagrams; seems the green/ white stripe cable may be a player in the scenario at the dash cluster?
    I changed all the connectors in C11, male/female matched and checked color codes on wires per socket line up.
    She starts, she idles into 900 after 30 secs, is a tad rich but, cannot risk a drive without sussing this issue out before.She starts when warm without issue so I have a partial win!
    It's buggin me not to drive her!
    Suggestions?

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #2 Steve Magnusson, May 9, 2018
    Last edited: May 9, 2018
    Do your turn signals work with the key "on"?

Also, check the condition of fuse #22 please and advise.

If the turn signals don't work, and fuse #22 is OK -- try a different ...113 relay in the relay S (key services) position.

(Relay S supplies the +12V power to run the instruments and the water fan relays -- both of those not working, per your report, is strong evidence something in relay S or its wiring has a fault.)

raysur and Testerosse like this.
  3. wintech

wintech Karting

Jun 1, 2011
    Perth WA
    Full Name:
    Pete K
    Thanks for responding Steve,
    will get onto that straight away and report back.

4. wintech

wintech Karting

Jun 1, 2011
    Perth WA
    Full Name:
    Pete K
    Hi Steve!
    We have lift-off; it was the fuse #22, recurrent blowing and the culprit was a short to earth through the radio. Before the diagnostics began, after the lack of total gauge response; I checked every fuse across the pins and all good..... should have repeated AFTER the gauge problem!
    Thanks for yr assistance in making the seemingly complex a lot simpler:)
    Much appreciated
    Pete

5. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Steve - you are a helluva great resource for everybody here!
    Many Thanks!

raysur, blkdiablo33 and turbo-joe like this.
  6. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Thanks for the kind words Gentlemen. Glad it was an easy fix Pete. However, still a little worried about your report of "overflow was a spittin' but no thermo's kicked in.". You might want to confirm/deny if both water radiator fans are running when they should (although this will have nothing to do with fuse #22).

7. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Yes Steve is a great resource!

turbo-joe likes this.
  8. wintech

wintech Karting

Jun 1, 2011
    Perth WA
    Full Name:
    Pete K
    [QUOTE="S However, still a little worried about your report of "overflow was a spittin' but no thermo's kicked in.". You might want to confirm/deny if both water radiator fans are running when they should (although this will have nothing to do with fuse #22).[/QUOTE]
    Well!
    the fuse was a short lived victory, blew another 2 before I checked the S relay(good) Upon comparing the filament of the 7.5 fuses I had as standby, to the 7.5 spares in the car, it looked less robust so I opted for my last original 7.5, switched off the isolator switch, no key in ignition and the fuel pumps arced up on their own!
    This is a new one to me as they have been txt book since day !1 I have yet to have it running long enough to check the kick in for the fans. gonna be a long night by the look!!
    Cheers
    Pete

9. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    By "arced up", do you mean: 1) the fuel pumps just started running or 2) you had some actual arcing on the fuse-relay panel and/or some other fuses blew and/or some damage/smoke? Not good either way, and hasn't been often reported. The only thing in this area (the fuel pump fuses blowing when the battery is connected, no key) previously reported has been caused by having the wrong ...113 relays for the fuel pumps instead of the ...101 relays on a US version TR (much of the F US TR documentation is mucked up in this regard and the TR WSM is for an early euro TR which does use the ...113 relays).

10. wintech

wintech Karting

Jun 1, 2011
    Perth WA
    Full Name:
    Pete K
    #10 wintech, May 11, 2018
    Last edited: May 11, 2018
    apologies for the 'Australianism' description; especially so in ref. to power/fuse boards!!!
    I came across a comment you made in another thread/topic regarding the "physical force in removing relays can awaken gremlins" I can embrace that; considering how reluctant they are to leave the sockets.
    The fuse board has had the thermo fan and the fuel pump cables re-routed from the pin contacts as per Rob Haydens modification and they have performed without fault up until now.... may have to look a little deeper there.

11. wintech

wintech Karting

Jun 1, 2011
    Perth WA
    Full Name:
    Pete K
    Hi Steve
    Following up on the ongoing puzzle..(cannot believe it was back in MAY!)

Just to recap the foregoing incidents in May.
    Initially, I had a recurring blowing of fuse #22, caused by a loose stereo power wire. The dash instruments did not function due to that. Replaced the fuse and the instruments were functioning. However upon switching the battery isolator off (connecting the earth); the fuel pumps started operating with no key in the ignition!
    Up until this point, the pumps had operated as per normal no sound until the key went to start position and shut down after key switched to off. No pumps on Acc.

I have swapped the 101 relays from other positions: nil change. I have attempted to trace the latent power source triggering both relays to operate(R&T) assuming that could be the possible cause..I could not make a definite conclusion based on outcomes though.
    I have removed the tachometric relay(26) from its plug and noted the status of the terminals in same at battery connected, ACC and start with readings noted on terminal socket #'s 87, 30,50,15 and 31.
    I have traced all occurrences on the wiring diagrams of item 49(electronic speed indicator) which triggers the correct sequence of events...just to locate and check it. I have not been successful in locating it thus far though, I got as far as C7 connector in the pass footwell -pos.11 Black w.Brown stripe where it leads from there to item 49 I am at a loss.
    Another item sourced in the 26 connector plug on terminal 15 is the power for the passive belts if I am not mistaken....these are currently not functioning and ceased doing so at about the same time as the Fpump issue (from memory) They also displayed no dysfunction at all.

The upside of all of this of course is a more intimate acquaintance with the WD's and the connections thereon. I am challenged though with some of the abbreviations and the meaning of same.

Any ideas or tests you could suggest would be most humbly honored by my part fried synapses.
    Your worshipful minion
    Pete K

12. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    First, I just want to confirm that "battery isolator off (connecting the earth)" means having the battery cut-off knob in the normal operating position? (We would normally say that this is having the "battery cut-off switch on" rather than the double-negative of having an isolator off ;)).
    If I've got that right, my first question would be:
    1. When the fuel pumps are wrongly running with no key, and you remove the tachometric relay (item 26) from its socket, what happens? Do the fuel pumps shut off, or keep running?

13. wintech

wintech Karting

Jun 1, 2011
    Perth WA
    Full Name:
    Pete K
    Hi Steve,
    The pumps do not operate with the Taco relay removed.

14. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    That's actually a good sign IMO as if the fuel pumps kept running with the tachometric relay removed = most likely a short on the PCB itself.

On the removed tachometric relay, measure the resistance from the terminal 30 male spade to the terminal 87 male spade:

The resistance should be infinite ohms. If the resistance is low (like ~50 Ohms or less), that would indicate that you need to buy a new one.

If the resistance is the correct infinite ohms on the unplugged tachometric relay, make the following DC voltage measurements on the unplugged tachometric relay socket:

Key "off":
    1. Between the female terminal with the R (red) wire and the female terminal with the N (black) wires = should be +12 VDC
    2. Between the female terminal with the AN (light blue-black) wire and the female terminal with the N (black) wires = should be 0 VDC
    3. Between the female terminal with the BL (white-blue) wire and the female terminal with the N (black) wires = should be 0 VDC

Key "on":
    4. Between the female terminal with the R (red) wire and the female terminal with the N (black) wires = should be +12 VDC
    5. Between the female terminal with the AN (light blue-black) wire and the female terminal with the N (black) wires = should be +12 VDC (If you don't get this, this could also explain the seat belts not working.)
    6. Between the female terminal with the BL (white-blue) wire and the female terminal with the N (black) wires = should be 0 VDC

If you can make those measurements, and report the results, maybe we can decide what to do next ;)

15. wintech

wintech Karting

Jun 1, 2011
    Perth WA
    Full Name:
    Pete K
    Hi Steve,
    ok, took the measurements and here are the results-
    Tacho relay unplugged male terminal 30 - male terminal 87 - open circuit (1-)

relay socket "key off"
    1/ red (30) - black(31) - 0 VDC
    2/ blue/blck (15) - black (31) 12.5VDC
    3/ wht/blue (50) -black(31) 12.5VDC

relay socket "key on"
    1/ red(30) - black (31) 0VDC
    2/ blue/blck (15) - black (31) 0VDC
    3/ wht/blue (50) -black(31) 12.5VDC

I took images of the test, just waiting for upgrade to be approved to upload them.

cheers Steve
    Pete K.

16. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Well, the good news is that your tachometric relay seems OK, but those other results seem so bizarre that I have to question if you mistyped -- for example, the red wire (30) to the black wire (31) not measuring +12V seems crazy (and would prevent the tachometric relay from ever energizing the fuel pump relays). Please recheck/clarify.

17. wintech

wintech Karting

Jun 1, 2011
    Perth WA
    Full Name:
    Pete K
    Attached are the images of test

Attached Files:

18. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    OK - New thought (to get such unusual results): "the black (31) wire at the tachometric relay socket is no longer connected to ground as it should be". To confirm/deny this:

7. With key "off", measure the voltage between the black (31) wire in the tachometric relay socket and the negative battery terminal = should be 0 VDC.

Also, as another sanity check:

8. With key "off", measure the voltage between the red (30) wire in the relay socket and the negative battery terminal = should be +12 VDC.

The ground path from a stud in the passenger footwell (IIRC) to the tachometric relay is a lengthy daisy chain going to many other components. Did you do anything with the ground connections in the passenger footwell when resolving "the culprit was a short to earth through the radio" issue?

I can't see how you could get the results that you report for tests #1-6, but still pass tests #7 & #8 -- so they should give some clue(s).

19. wintech

wintech Karting

Jun 1, 2011
    Perth WA
    Full Name:
    Pete K
    7. With key "off", measure the voltage between the black (31) wire in the tachometric relay socket and the negative battery terminal = should be 0 VDC > 12 VDC
    8. With key "off", measure the voltage between the red (30) wire in the relay socket and the negative battery terminal = should be +12 VDC > 12 VDC

Did you do anything with the ground connections in the passenger footwell when resolving "the culprit was a short to earth through the radio" issue? > No, all in the area of the upper dash radio cavity... looking deeper though; as I had the footwell plate off to access the c4-c8 connectors, the daisy chain connector had seven of 8 lugs connected, all black and dangling free!
    Assuming this could be the poss/prob cause; I tested all assuming one was a 'master earth' arrangement.. nup! unattached; they all had current of varying levels in them. Looking closer at the pressing, I saw evidence of something broken off; exposing the brass under the zinc plate. It must have had a tab on it...(confirmed by Rob Hayden) so i did the next best thing.. pop rivetted it to the C4-C8 mounting brace( which is bolted to the frame)
    Moving back to the fuse panel, with all of the earth connectors secure in the footwell, I reconnected the tacho relay, connected power and No Pumps operating, key off, nil with key on as well.
    The mouse belts came to life, the drivers side was cycling forward, buzzer sound, then back- repeat.. I am not bothered with that right now; just pretty happy I am on the right track. Totally wasted from testing every connection on the fuse board from F1- P77 and all inbetween. Nothing unto wards happening there...2.5 days of concentrated effort to achieve a zero result was what I wanted as opposed to a sheet full of highlited terminals that should not be on the radar.
    Tomorrow is another day, and one with a tad more sunshine about it thanks to yr input Steve. It has also made me look deeper and more focussed at what is before my failing eyes and along the way becoming more confident (not too much) in Fcar electronics. I am not closing this episode; merely throwing the shutters wide to shed light on the still unsolved small issues.

Attached Files:

20. wintech

wintech Karting

Jun 1, 2011
    Perth WA
    Full Name:
    Pete K
    I have a feeling that the missing 1of 7 earth wires is the culprit for the whack-a-mouse cycling..top of the list for tomorrow.

21. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Well, that explains the trouble with the tachometric relay operation. Unfortunately, I don't have (or can't find ;)) a picture of an opened up (unmolested) TR passenger footwell showing how that multi-spade ground connector is mounted or wired (if someone has one, please post), but I don't see how the car could have ever operated with it "floating" and not being connected to ground -- is this a TR that you are resurrecting from the long dead?

22. wintech

wintech Karting

Jun 1, 2011
    Perth WA
    Full Name:
    Pete K
    No Steve; the
    car is totally intact and unmolested. I am currently scrolling through the images of the footwell area; taken when I changed all the water hoses through the tunnel 2.5 yrs back. That was the last time the footwell area was accessed. This issue has only surfaced in May after the #22 fuse issue was resolved(post#8)
    Will be looking closer in the footwell today for remnants of the attaching lug off the spade multi connector as well as any other loose wires without a home.

23. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    The part broken off your ground bracket is the mounting tab that goes under the connector mounting bracket LH stud--very flimsy design. Your solution should work fine, you are grounding to the same bracket. I also can't understand how you didn't have a multitude of issues with that bracket not being grounded. **Note that several of my grounds are missing in photo #1 since I had the central tunnel removed when the photo was taken. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. wintech

wintech Karting

Jun 1, 2011
    Perth WA
    Full Name:
    Pete K
    Tim,
    thanks for the pics! I had a few nagging thoughts about the few wires that have insulators on them... but as I see, no problem!
    Do you have all 8 spades connected? I only have seven that are obvious(black).
    "I also can't understand how you didn't have a multitude of issues with that bracket not being grounded." agreed! All I can assume is that it was in such close proximity with the connector mount bracket, that it had physical contact. That assumption has been discarded permanently!
    Cheers
    Pete K.