Got the 360 over the 550! Now have to bring it home. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Got the 360 over the 550! Now have to bring it home.

Discussion in '360/430' started by 550nitis, Sep 16, 2018.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
    The 2003 sure doesnt have cruise control and yes, very good point on the right foot which tends to have a mind of its own.

2. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
    Yo have a very good point here. That was my only complaint of the 550 was its suspension and the handling, felt heavy and almost like a boat, but my friend said that there meant to be driven sideways on the curves, after it is a racing company, so that put me at ease :)

3. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
    Great idea but how do you do that?

4. 360HB

360HB Formula Junior
    Owner

Sep 10, 2016
    That was me. I did the D.C. to Los Angels trip a couple months ago. It was a long drive. I had a good time. It was stressful though. I would strongly advise bringing a Valentine One along.

The D.C. to LA was my second road trip home in a 360. My first one was a Dallas to Los Angeles run last year. A 36k mile car and the engine blew 3/4 of the way home... So yeah.

I pussed out on my 1st 360 and had it shipped home from Dallas 2 yrs ago.

Manda racing likes this.
  5. JStone414

JStone414 Formula 3

Sep 23, 2004
    Gotham
    Full Name:
    Roman Sionis
  6. modenagt350

modenagt350 Rookie

Sep 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    tim black
    If you have time, at least 7-8 days, I'd probably do the drive. I don't think shipping part way then driving the rest of the way is a good idea because you do not know exactly when the car will be delivered to your starting point no matter which company does the shipping. If you do the drive, you're going the right way; driving east to west the road opens up and traffic gets lighter as you go.

7. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
    Nice! So what was stressful about the drive? How did the engine blow? So many questions!

8. ceb39

ceb39 Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2012
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Chuck B
    Take your wife's advice. I know you have seen those bumper stickers which say, "Sh*t Happens" It usually happens in some place like the middle of Iowa. Where you can get you Ferrari fixed at the local tractor and grain store.

Last Thursday my wife said as I was pulling into the garage with our 360, "The car smells funny." "Ah, its okay. I am going by the shop on Friday I'll have them check it, when I have them check the CHK ENG light. Mechanic believes the light is coming on due to a bad sensor(s)"

At the shop the mechanic says, "I'm going to pull the car to the other side of our building."

Mechanic comes back into the office, and says, "Your road trip is over. Your wife was right. Your right fuel pump is leaking gas. The smell you wife noticed was gas."

I'll have to admit my smeller sucks.

Just by pure dumb luck I had driven our 360 through 35 miles of San Francisco Bay Area traffic, with a leaky fuel pump. The car will be out of the shop in a few weeks, and not on a You Tube video, in flames.

My question to you is, did you have a good PPI performed on the car, by a mechanic who makes his living by working on Ferrari's? If so would he drive it across country? I assume you have all the records for the car from birth to now, and it shows that the previous owner(s) maintained the car the way you would. Older Ferrari's some time give their owners a surprise, by putting a big dent in the owners bank account.

Oh course if you do drive it to LA everything might good fine. Then again you might get a chance to tell us how it went getting your 360 and you out of Iowa. The 360 on a trailer (make sure it is a closed one), and you on a bus.

Let us know how it goes.

CB

Manda racing and 550nitis like this.
  9. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
    Always listen to the wife.....and thank you for the input, very valuable. The Indy shop is putting a fresh set of tires and doing a cross country trip check up, very excited. The road trip is ON! Set to begin 10/19.

SpiderSweden, Kevin Rev'n and SeaNile like this.
  10. My 1st

My 1st Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2017
    Gladwyne, PA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I’m envious. I’m 67 and have not driven cross country. Still on the bucket list.
    I have one suggestion. Post your route and fellow FChatters along the route can offer help if, God forbid, something does go bump.
    There may not be a Ferrari dealer close by, but an experienced indie could be.
    Have a great trip!

550nitis likes this.
  11. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
    I just did Rennsport with my brother and was amazing! 100 Porsche's driving up. It was amazing.

Ive drivin Illinois to Cali, and L.A to Miami but never NY to L.A. Very excited yet a little nervous. I come from a roadtrip family so these things are exciting. Now its not the most exciting route but thats what its all about. Leaves should be changing too.

Great idea posting here for fellow FChatters along the route can help if needed. Thanks for the great idea!

12. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
    Image Unavailable, Please Login So we are getting close. The car went into the shop today to get new shoes and a small pre-trip check up. Putting Firestone Indy 500 tires on it for the drive. Looking forward to testing this new tire.

Looking at the route. Any suggestions on either going NY,IL, Iowa through Colorado or do the southern route?

brookliner7 likes this.
  13. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Have fun! I've done it three times in three different Ferraris and it was always a blast! Stay off the superslabs.

550nitis likes this.
  14. brookliner7

brookliner7 Formula Junior

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans

Colorado is a must, through the 4 corners Monument Valley if you can!

15. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    I agree, just keep an eye on the weather through the passes....it's getting to be that time of year for snow.

16. ShadowF430

ShadowF430 Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2017
    Portland
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Congrats. Another Grigio out here :). Pm me if your up for a drive or meeting up. Another member here and myself might do a little cruise near arrowhead in the coming weeks.

550nitis likes this.
  17. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I took a road trip with my new Mustang many years ago, all the way up to Canada, to the East coast, and then back to California through Texas. 100+ MPH at night. Radar detector is a must.

Driving through the Midwest, there were so many bugs that I had to stop more often to clean the windshield than get gas. The bugs also destroyed the paint on the front of the car. Be sure to get a front bra if you decide to drive it home.

I had my 550 shipped from Florida. Good thing, because the power connection to the fuse box failed when the car was on the transport. That kind of failure on the road is not easy to deal with and it's not a good time to find a covered transport. (Be sure to use a covered transport if you decide to ship. The seller of my 550 said he shipped an original Cobra some distance in an uncovered transport. Many of the trick badges and accessory pieces were missing when he got the car home.)

18. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Don't be a wimp! My ex- Argento 550 in SoCal was driven by its new owner all the way to Eastern Canada. His only issue was not being able to make it up his slippery snow covered driveway. 550's are beasts! Enjoy the drive...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Kevin Rev'n likes this.
  19. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
    Nice! Will for sure!

20. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
    Good pint! Think the car has a clear bra so we should be ok!

21. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
    Checking out weather and looks like Colorado just got hit with snow and more snow in the forecast! Thinking that if they got snow, then they most have already placed the gravel on the roads meaning that will have to around Colorado :( !&#R*YDF!!!!!!

22. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Enjoy the drive! the best way to start a new car relationship!

I've got the indy tires as well, and they work fine for the intended purpose.

Please post pics if you can.

550nitis likes this.
  23. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
    Agreed! How are the tires in the wet?

Will post pics!

24. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    550- no wet test as of yet. The 360 comes out on nice days.

Buy a fire extinguisher for the trip. I put mine in a gym bag behind psgr seat. Pc of mind. Pics of road trip plllleeeesa

25. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
    Good idea! Will do and put behind the back seat. I saw a video with Doug D while he was driving his car back to ATL with an extinguisher and thought it was a joke, but will definitely have! Im sure I could pick one up at an autozone in NJ.