Got thrown out of Ferrari Dealer. | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Got thrown out of Ferrari Dealer.

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Noel, May 27, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    LOL, excellent :)

2. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Jay is such an incredible car guy...it's a sorry shame he had a bad experience like this--he could have been one of the great collectors...he's not lacking the funds.

I think the only times he talks about Ferraris are when he tells a joke with one involved--he told a joke on last night's show about some celeb 360 owner but I didn't catch it.... another time he talked about Britney Spears or similar young female pop star blowing the transmission out of a brand-new Ferrari on the way home from the dealership.

I just might drive out to our local Authorized Ferrari shop, park my light blue 4-door '96 Mercury Grand Marquis conspicuously, and browse a little...see what happens.

3. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Noel,

It would be a great help if you would make the effort to write a letter to the owners of the dealership. It is quite possible that the owners do not know how their managers are behaving and would not like how you were treated. I've seen general managers from different businesses have attitudes until the owners set them straight.

This letter would benefit us all by allowing the owners to take action so it doesn't happen again. Further, if the behavior does continue, then we know to avoid this dealership.

Truly, it is very hard for an owner to know what goes on while he / she is not there. Don't assume the dealership wants this guy in this position........

4. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Half Latin? Which half?

5. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I don't know about that... I tried to visit the Lambo dealer in San Francisco, and they wouldn't let me in the door (literally!)

On the other hand, I have had nothing but good experiences with Ron Tonkin Gran Turismo (Ferrari dealer) and Ferrari of Seattle. And, to be fair, the Lambo dealer in NYC was friendly enough when I stopped by there unannounced.

6. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    It's odd but I've also noticed that BMC (Lambo delaer) in San Francisco has one of those buzzing lock doors...but they literally open the door to anyone buzzing the buzzer. I know one of the two sales guys there...he is a good long time friend. They have moved a couple of F430 coupes in the last few weeks. He did tell me that they had an ordeal to control the crowed when the first F430 was up front...give them another chance I am sure they open the door.

7. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

It would seem to me that this attitude does not add any value. People being treated badly carries a lot of negativity towards the brand.

Why don't they have this dealership behind glass so that most of the people can just gawk? Personally I'd stay clear of the place. If you're not going to treat people with respect then why do they even bother.

8. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    They weren't so rude in 97 or 98. Arrogant pricks like him deserve to be screwed with.

9. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    That is TOTALLY unacceptable! I have had bad treatment in the past buy some sales people, but lately it seems that the dealers are starting to change their tune a bit. If a dealer doesn't want to be bothered by possers there is a VERY simple sollution. Lock the doors and put a "shown by appointment only" sign on the door. They do this in some of the shops on Rodeo. Let the possers look through the glass all they want, but if they are serious about buying call the number, simple as that. There is no excuse for rudeness.

However sometimes you don't want to be bothered by the sales guys. Like when I'm in there to buy a part. I don't wanna be bugged because I'm irritated that I have to buy another freeking part, for a retarded price, again. I dress in a ratty t-shirt, jeans, jacked up shoes, and a baseball hat. I go in get my part and I'm gone. What is funny is to see the look on the jerk off sales guys face when, dressed as a bum, I get into my Ferrari and drive off.

10. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    I almost completely agree!
    Just leave it to your experience, they can fill in the blanks.
    I wrote a letter to Rick Mancuso (owner, LFSC) once about how great the service department was. He was very appreciative.... one letter can go a long way!
    Maybe the GM at Wynn's new title will be "former GM..."

11. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Based entirely on the first post:

He said he'd pay cash right there. Nothing about MSRP. He also indicated he'd been to the factory within last 2 weeks... and that he has a 360 spider. What did he get in return?

Ever see a movie where someone goes into some Beverly Hills boutique and the sales people act snobby? Imagine that times about eleventy kibillion. I've never met anyone so condesending and arrogant. He acted like I was was some loser that had no business in his wonderful store. He talked to me like I didn't matter. It's hard to exaggerate how rude he was. My buddy (who was completely silent the entire time) was floored. He had never been to a Ferrari dealer and asked if this treatment was par for the course. I said that I had never been talked to like that anywhere including the multiple Ferrari dealers that I had been to.

Despite market pricing, despite supply and demand, despite "flipping" possibilities, no excuse for a salesman to choose to treat potential customers like dirt.

Had he chosen to behave in a manner which is evidenced elsewhere, which invites return visits, it'd be a different story. Hell, not just the dealership, but Wynn Las Vegas gets a black eye in the process. The man was a guest there. Think he'll be back?

In this instance, the salesman with zero potential (read: loser) got what he deserved. A few choice words.

Some salesman. Hmmph.

12. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    A good friend of mine walked into a used high end car dealer, wanting to buy a Lambo Diablo. He was wearing just a pair of jeans, and tee shirt along with a baseball cap. He approached one of the salesmen and asked about the car. (I was with him just to have a quick look at the car before he bought). The sales guy asked him "why are you wasting my time?" too which he responeded "why? standing around doing nothing is more important?" Get this..the salesmen then responded "I'd rather stand around and do nothing then have to waste time with a dreamer"

Well..one thing about my friend..he has a very short fuse..he cranked this guy right in the mouth, he dropped to the floor and spit out his front teeth (icky sight for sure, but he had it comming). My buddy still in a rage..belive it or not..picked up his front teeth and put them on the roof of the car. Simply said to the others..Sorry to waste your time, and we left. 2 hours later he was charged with assult..court put him on probation and had to go to anger management classes..but the salesmen never returned to work after that.

Sometimes people need to be told...Good thing this guy didn't spout off to him..because him and the bouncers would be in big doo doo!!

13. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    The 1/2 that gets Jiggy with it LOL

14. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    one mistake - I believe you should have corrected him when he said your not a customer of mine.

You are in fact an "owner" and hence a customer.

You also sounded a bit like you were ready to blow your load (I want the car now, I'll pay now, I'm ready to buy now) perhaps a little more soft-shoe'ing approach may have paid dividends.

that and a quarter will get you a cup of coffee.

15. adamr

adamr Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2002
    Chicago
  16. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

17. jungathart

jungathart Guest

Jun 11, 2004
    NoVA, AmeriKa
    Full Name:
    Komrade Jung
    Living well is ALWAYS the best revenge!!!!!! LOL !

18. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Looks to me that someone needs a little prison time to make sure that their temper is under control. I wouldn't be bragging about that loon. Sooner or later he's going to seriouly injury someone over a triffle. Society would be a lot better off with him in prison.

Art

19. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Art, I don’t know why you left coast people condone pissy rude behavior as if it was chic. Nobody deserves to be talked down to unless they earn it. In other words; as your sow, so shall you reap.

20. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I don't know about Steve Wynn, but I'm pretty sure Roger Penske doesn't tolerate this kind of crap fom his employees. I suggest he hear about how his dealership is treating its potential customers.

Jack

21. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Back in 86 when I was 18 and fresh out of high school I was visiting FAF in Atlanta for the first time. I was so excited I could hardly stand it just to be in there. I OBVIOUSLY was not a customer or about to be one anytime soon.
    Guess how they treated me? They took me for a ride in a 308 QV.

How about that for treating people (not just customers) well? I actually ended up buying my 308 from the same salesman 11 years later.

22. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Here's another non-Ferrari example of how you SHOULD treat people: I was in LA back in 2000 for the Alabama/UCLA game. I was wandering around Rodeo Dr wearing nothing but Alabama football crap head to toe. I went in one of those fancy stores (I cannot remember which one) and was carrying a diet coke. I mean I LOOKED the part of a southern redneck, bigtime. I was immediately approached by a salesperson and I just knew by the way she rushed up to me that I was going to be asked to leave. She didn't, she only said that I couldn't have a drink in their store. Then she offered to keep it in the back for me AND keep it cold while I looked around! I couldn't believe it. She was as nice as she could be to someone that sure as hell didn't look like a money-paying customer. I was really impressed.

23. DN35

DN35 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2003
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    D. Norton
    It's crap like that that gives us owners the undeserved rep for being snobby.

24. GoFerrari28

GoFerrari28 Formula 3

Jun 16, 2004
    Ridgemont, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Spicoli

No, Art. It wasn't me. The same friend that called FoSF was the one who called SVAG and let them know I was looking for 2 cars, and Graham at SVAG was very kind and worked hard to find me the new car I was looking for, and fought for me when there was a dispute over it. If FoSF had no more 430s to sell, then the rep should have just told me "I'm sorry, sir, but we have sold our allotment" and I would have understood. And as for the scratches they put on my car, they never even bothered to look into the matter. That's just bad service.

25. ben, lj

ben, lj Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2004
    yeah, it completely depends on the dealer. safa who manages ferrari of san diego is a nice guy as are all the guys (and girls) at symbolic (the lambo dealer here). there are a lot of people at symbolic and it's rare for me to say, but every one of them is fun to talk with. i'd buy from either.