Got thrown out of Ferrari Dealer. | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Got thrown out of Ferrari Dealer.

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Noel, May 27, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rakjoe

rakjoe Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Joe R.
    How do you explain that WYNN was trading in early March around $75 as of today it's 46.75 ?
    You would expect the opening to boost public interest etc...Can you smell takeover ?

2. bobleb

bobleb Formula 3

Mar 9, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Bob Lebenson
    Several reasons for the decline in Wynn's stock price. Primary is uncertainty about the venture(s) in Asia. Next is probably that a couple of Wall Street houses said recently that gaiming stocks in general were too high.

Hotel has had its opening problems (as many Vegas properties do), most significant being the very bad reception given to "Le Reve", the permanent show at the hotel. But I think they are less important than the other factors.

3. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    I knew at the time I made that post that they did not yet have a dealer's license, and Pat confirmed that to me.

I knew also that no cars they had at that time were being offered for sale. They were on display only.

I was unaware of any impending litigation but did know that the principal was involved with Exotics For Less in Florida.

My understanding was that Caesars also had an interest in the operation.

Has anyone any links to substantiate the legal action?

BTW, any cars on consignment cannot be confiscated. They belong to the legal title holder, and NO agency gets a priority interest in another's title especially if there is a financial interest in them (lien holder).

They can be removed from the premises, however.

4. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    write a letter to FNA and see what their response is.....if they respond at all.

5. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    I've been to Fox Valley a few times for car shows, and once to see the Gallardo when it came out. They see my 1972 Lotus and know I'm not about to buy a Diablo, but I've always been treated very well. In fact, they had a bunch of old metal car models on an old display and my son wanted the F 50. I figured it would cost at least $50 and said no, but he wanted to ask the price at least. They said they didn't have any left but offered him the display model. It was filthy dirty; the guy said $5 takes it. My son light up like a Christmas tree and he spent over an hour at home cleaning it up. It's now beautiful; I thought that was such a lovely gesture by them!

Ken

6. MikeAR303

MikeAR303 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Michael
    People who condone the type of behavior Noel was subjected to are the people who cause that behavior to begin with. I'd even go as far as to say that they encourage it.

It's not only in the Ferrari dealerships, it's everywhere... and it's getting worse every day. The days of "customer service" are over... welcome to the days of "**** the customer, they should be kissing our asses and thanking us for allowing them to be **** on at our dealership".

Thankfully there are still a few decent places out there, as has already been mentioned in this thread. Do us all a favor and use them instead of the condescending pricks who **** all over their customers and expect to be thanked for it.

7. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    There is no longer customer service because customers no longer demand it, and most businesses know it and do not provide it!

The buyers of today who grow up (I am using this term loosely!) hiding behind their computers instead of face-to-face relations do not know about business dealings or about requesting service!

Ferrari has taken a page from Tiffany. They treat their customers the same. There is an incredible air of indifference and condescendence!

Who needs it?

Fox Valley Motor Sales in Illinois has been very accommodating to me so far, and I am in Northern California. Who needs FoSF, FoBH, or FoSV?

8. Ferrari0324

Ferrari0324 F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    I'm trying to explain it to my parents, unless I am wrong. Does a Ferrari dealership have the right to not sell to a customer outside their given area or choose not too. For ex., I live in NJ. and I want a 430, no relationship w/ any dealers but I work in Long Island down the road from their local dealer. Will they put me on the list (obviously last) or tell me we can't sell you a car since you have a closer dealer specified for your area. To make it a little easier i'll use this ex., we all know the guy was a dou@hebag for treating you the way he did but if he was still nice can he say no, I am alotted a certain # of cars and can't (Ferrari has specified your area of whom you may and may not sell too) sell you one since you are far from local?

OR.... is it just all by their choice, they will obviously only take care of their customers they have a relationship w/ and don't need your bus.

The reason I ask, is b/c I started interning at FOCNJ and my parents don't seem to understand it works in a totally different way than a normal dealer in that they don't work off a mass market bus. aspect but building relationships w/ customers they know will come back. They think no bus. will turn down someone as a customer but don't realize in all reality, they will since they have a backlog of 40 clients waiting for their own car.

9. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Frank, are you kidding...?!? $100K a year and i could finance a 308...!!! Maybe even a 348 or a Testarossa...!!!

The optimal thing would be to move to Tennessee and get a job making $100K there - no income tax... But live really close to the border of another state... Just commute to work from a state with lesser grocery/property taxes and you're good...!

Even in a state with regular taxes across the board, you can still afford a Ferrari on $100K a year...!

10. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    There is no instant gratification only buyer's remorse. Don't go in debt over a toy.

11. PassionIsFerrari

PassionIsFerrari Formula 3

Aug 15, 2004
    True, but some people don't see it as a toy. The see it as fufilling a life long desire. Remember, you true ownership cost is the intrest you pay per month, your maintenance, and the depreciation as well as the opportunity cost associated with borrowing the money for a financial venture...I think these are the things to throw into the 'decision pot' and let each decide for themselves.

12. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Franchised dealers generally are assigned geographic territories for business development purposes in their dealer agreements by the manufacturer.

Manufacturer's sanction and often severely penalize dealers who sell to residents outside of their territory into another dealer's territory. Having said that.......if I have a pink Porsche in stock for 180 days....dealer agreement be damned.....and I probably won't hear about it from the manufacturer........

Dealers with limited allocations of desireable cars (Lambo/Ferrari/Porsche/MB stores...etc) should (if they are smart) only sell to clients in their territory and to those clients who have naturally supported their businesses in the past. It's how I do business as well.........and I have been a dealer for years.

It's really a function of both issues........I am not going to sell into someone else's market and not get the service business on the car.......which is really the bread and butter of any dealership.

13. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    These are probably the same people that are leveraged to the hilt with their starter castles and their interest only home notes.

Its a car. A nice one that has some emotion attached, but at the end of the day, just a car.

14. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    My 308 is a little more the just a car to me. Anyone who has seen the pictures from back in 1982 of me sitting in one with the biggest smile a 13 year old can have knows it was no impulse buy for me.

15. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies
    There's simply no excuse for the salesman's attitude. There are reasons why he acted that way, and reasons why Noel's request to buy the car were unrealistic, but none of those justify the actions. It would have taken the same level of effort to be polite.

I'm sure they get inundated with lookie-loos all the time, and you know what? Too f'ing bad!! It's part of the territory my friend. Either deal with it or find another job. The very fact that they charge admission is an acknowledgement of this and that fee should entitle the vistor the honor of being treated like a human.

That said, as Jim already pointed out, you should have said the magic word: 612. The salesman would have been on his knees. ;)

16. Wiseguy

Wiseguy Karting

Apr 25, 2004
    Englewood, NJ
    Full Name:
    Mr Bill
    I'm also in the car business. Even if outside terriroty sales were frowned upon (I have no idea with Ferrari) this could have been handled with a level of tact that seems to have been lacking.

Had that been the situation, and had I been the GM/Owner of that particular store, I would have responded "You know I'd love your business but we're really not supposed to sell these outside of our territory, our allocation has been spoken for by our local customers. I apologize and I'd love to sell you a car but we just don't have a free spot for an F430, and I wish we did!"

It's not like it's tough. And it's not like I don;t encounter customers who are complete and utter *******s all the time, I do (Not saying you were one BTW). But even then I won't lose my cool like this.

If what the original poster said was true.. this is outrageous, god forbid one of my managers ever spoke this way to a client.

17. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Greg -

I'm really sorry and surprised to read this. I walked into FoSF about two years ago as a prospective first-time Ferrari buyer. I was a little nervous, and half expected a brush off. Instead, Evan couldn't have been more helpful, and after a reasonably short wait I was driving a new Modena. I have since met most of the guys there, including Brad, the sales manager, and I have to say it is one of the the finest organizations I have ever had the pleasure to do business with. Your visit was an anomaly, without doubt. Give them another try, you'll see what I mean.

Gary

18. PassionIsFerrari

Aug 15, 2004
    Though it seems like you were not given top quality service, I think your situations are a lot different then Noel's.

As for the pizza, maybe the guy was on his break...Sure, he could have said something even if he was...but if this is the worse that someone has to say about FoSF then it sounds like a good place to do biz. Nobody is perfect and no business is either.

FoBH seemed to be the same way as far as not going out of there way to help you but they did make an attempt to rectify not giving you an invite...Though it was not to your standards of what you wanted, they still made the attempt.

It seems like you demand a higher level of customer service, which is good... And I am sure that you have found establishments that have catered to your needs, but to compare FoSF and FoBH in those situations to Wynn's Ferrari is like comparing a thunderstorm to a hurricane...one is a mere annoyance where the other is truly a situation that needs to be dealt with.

You right though, we do not hold these establishments to a higher standard, in essence, it is our own faults...I wish someone at Wynn would respond to this thread though

19. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    Gary,

I do appreciate your comments and encouragement.

I have, quite honestly since that classic event, returned to FoSF to view their inventory. The "pizza eater" was not there at that time. Maybe he's eating pizza at the local American iron dealership!

Tmobileguy, your points are very well taken as well and appreciated. I don't favor businesses that give the air that they are beyond most.

Yes, I do expect a high service level as that is what I strive to give to those with whom I deal.

regards and thanks,

20. PassionIsFerrari

Aug 15, 2004
    LOL. Or at Pizza Hut where he can get all the pizza he wants

21. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    Tmobileguy,

Why are you always referencing "in the pen" or "cell block D"?

Did you give up a few constitutional rights?

22. bobleb

bobleb Formula 3

Mar 9, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Bob Lebenson
    For a change of pace, here are some positive experiences with the Penske-Wynn people.

Yesterday, Northern Trust Bank hosted a Ferrari show for our club. We had a great turnout, 25+ cars, and a lot of fun.

We invited the dealership folks to attend, and several arrived with cars. They brought an F430, a QP, and Penske’s personal Enzo. During the afternoon, they gave test drives to several of the attendees. A couple of the people attending were FCA members from Illinois, who were in town on vacation. Not only did they get a ride in the 430, but at the end of the show one of the salesmen drove them back to their hotel on Strip in the QP.

Then yesterday evening, my 17 year old son (who had attended the car show with me) and a couple of his friends went down to the Wynn Hotel. One of the friend’s dad works there, and had given them “comps” to have dinner at the buffet.

After dinner, they walked over to the Ferrari shop next to the dealership. One of the salesmen who had been at the show recognized my son, and invited them all into the showroom. (No $10 charge, needless to say!) They were given the full tour, including the pre-owned area where Penske’s F-50, etc. are on display. As you can imagine, this made my son quite the “hero” with his friends.

I’m not trying to suggest that this makes up for Noel’s incident. But I think it’s only fair to report the good things about the dealership along with the bad.

23. PassionIsFerrari

Aug 15, 2004
    Hopefully Noel's incident was an isolated one and many more posts like this will pop up.

24. PassionIsFerrari

Aug 15, 2004
    I hope not to! I'm trying to be light hearted about a current legal situation going on. I am hopeful of removing the bars next week and replacing them with wings.

25. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    From another post I had seen I presume it is criminal in nature.

Hope you are well represented by counsel.

My advice is to be very careful what you publicly post here about the incident if it is based upon a criminal complaint.

Do hope it turns favorable for you.