355 - Gothspeed cat ecu? | FerrariChat

355 Gothspeed cat ecu?

Discussion in '348/355' started by Redlyne_mr2, Feb 24, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Redlyne_mr2

Redlyne_mr2 Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2009
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Ryan D
    What happened to these? Cant find them on the ricambi site, is Gothspeed out? Did I miss something?

thanks

2. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Dont think he makes them anymore.

3. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    I’m hoping someone will buy the rights from goth or reverse engineer this product. I have one and it’s a godsend. Can’t believe it took 20 yrs of pain for someone to create this solution. It’s a shame he’s gone.

4. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I think the problem is they are illegal.
    I read somewhere about the us gov epa broke a company that was making emmision bypass devices such as this but not for exotic cars.
    I think they mad them for a more popular car, got sued by the gov, lost, and went broke because they had to give everyone their money back or something like that.

Sorry i cant elaborate

5. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Not sure which one specifically is mentioned by Grant but there was a slew of them actually, most were diesel related, not to mention the whole VW scandal.
    Here is one for example, most products were designed to prevent cel's for the most part and let the car keep running bypassing issues.
    https://www.epa.gov/enforcement/edge-products-llc-settlement

6. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    I don’t think these would fall under the same scrutiny. They have nothing to do with emissions per se ,only the cat temps.

7. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Yeah you may be right. Yet here we are unfortunately for whatever reason. I would not risk getting on the radar myself. Who knows, unfortunate though.

8. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Thats the edge diesel tuner setup. I run that and they are alive and well :)

9. RCKSTR

RCKSTR Karting

Isnt there a thread called "fear not the slow down light" that shows how to make your own fooler boxes to delete the temp probes and keep ECU happy? Is that what is being asked here?

10. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    There is a lot to unpack on this and some of us have been actively involved in coming up with better mousetraps to work around the sdl system.

Gothspeed was making sdecu boxes that replaced OEM sdecu boxes and also had a “dummy” version in his lineup as well.

For whatever reason goth and his boxes are NLA and that’s the story

11. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I don't know the reason these are NLA. Goth is a brilliant guy. That said, it's my understanding that all of his products are side work.

Product liability insurance is not cheap especially when it involves components that could be related to a car buring to the ground.

Anyone in this space needs to evaluate the rewards vs the risk.

12. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

Do all cars have cat thermocouples that monitor cat temps?

13. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    If you’re asking about cars in general and not fcars the answer is no. I don’t know what other species has sdl and bank and engine shutdown other than Ferrari. It’s origin may be from their racing background but that’s conjecture on my part

14. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I would guess your right. Its likely to protect the engine

15. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

If I had to guess, it is the wasted spark on Ferrari that causes you to lose two cylinders if one plug fouls. Raw fuel into the cat and they overheat. Ask me how I know. Next project is coil on plug with MSD . Still have the wasted spark but twice the spark to each plug to prevent fouling.

16. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    It's wasted spark yes, but fuel is not sent to those cylinders as the fuel is controlled by the ejectors / ECU.

The SDL system purpose is to protect the CAT(s)

17. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Its also to protect the engine as far as i know.
    Things such as a misfire.

18. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    BMW-s for the Japanese market (E12, E21, E30, E23, E24, E28) had an exhaust temp thermocouple and a special control "relay" marked "950C" (I happen to have one). The thermocouple shown is actually for BMW E60 M5, E63 M6 and E65 so some later BMW models also had it.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Some Porsches (sorry about bringing the "P" in) also had the EGT monitoring:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    What did the system do? Throw a warning light, shut down the engine?

20. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #20 johnk..., Mar 3, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
    Dave, that would only be true on a 5.2 car. Lose spark on a 2.7 and raw fuel is dumped into the into the cats. SDL! Had that problem a couple of years back. Remember, we talked about it. What's worse, unburnt fuel also means excess O2 in exhaust which means the engine goes rich.

Anyway, what is the need for them. The green Ferrari TCUs seem to work just fine. Seems like with many things around here there was a manufactured problem when a few cars had problems with the SDL and bypass valve.

21. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

Had the same problem on my 2.7. They run rich and that is what they run a hotter plug than 5.2 and are easy to foul. If you drive these cars a lot at some point you'll foul a plug. Bad engine thermostat which many have had will keep you in this very rich enrichment cycle putting raw fuel in. Couple that with a very weak spark. Once the plug fouls spark is too weak to overcome. A MSD box puts out twice the spark as our coils. I had a ton of fuel enrichment taken out with my new computers and that solved that problem and I have run without thermocouples for years. If your TCU goes bad which mine did several times, it puts you in limp mode and it is hardly drivable. Had that happen several times out on a highway. Car won't go more than 40 mph. In my opinion I think Ferrari threw a bandaid on the problem with thermocouples at least on 95s.

22. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    John, you are saying on a 2.7 fuel is injected to cylinders on the wasted spark? If so, it still must flash off - right?

23. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky

I wasn't talking about a 2.7 running richer than a 5.2. I was saying that if you lose spark, for what ever reason, a 2.7 does not shut off fuel to any cylinders. 2.7 cars can not sense a misfire. So fuel keeps flowing and with a misfire the cylinder charge just gets pumped into the exhaust. Since the fuel is un burnt, there is excess O2 from that cylinder. This makes the O2 sensor think there isn't enough fuel and the ECU richens up the mixture. This does nothing to reduce the O2 in the exhaust so the fuel trim goes even richer.

FWIW, I've never had a problem with a cat TCU and never fouled a plug in my car, (95 2.7), even after losing spark due to an intermittent problem. After 8k miles my plugs are a nice light tan. I don't drive my car any where close to "drive it like it was meant to be driven". I putt around back country roads, shifting around 5 or 6k. Seldom apply more than 1/2 throttle. I give it a blast up an on ramp every once in a while, but that's about it.

24. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    No. What I was saying is that the 2.7 does not sense misfires and therefore does not cut off fuel to a misfiring cylinder. I thought you were saying a 5.2 does that, cuts off fuel to a cylinder if it senses a continuous misfire, in your response to Bob .

I think what Bob was saying is that due to the wasted spark ignition, if a plug fouls in one cylinder then you may actually lose spark in 2 and both cylinders end up dumping un burnt mixture into the exhaust. I think that is quite possible. However, in my case the problem was a bad coil.

25. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

Correct.