gothspeed's new 355 monster flow exhaust is completed!!! by-pass valve is history!!!! | Page 3 | FerrariChat

gothspeed's new 355 monster flow exhaust is completed!!! by-pass valve is history!!!!

Discussion in '348/355' started by gothspeed, Apr 21, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hezgon

hezgon Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2006
    Ft Pierce, FL
    Full Name:
    Stan
    Magnificent

2. 355

355 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 4, 2005
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Frank
    That sound exactly like my system. OEM headers with straight pipes and the bypass valve iliminated with installation of the Challenge pipe.
    Your car sounds awsome Goth. Over the years I have been tolled by many that there is no 355 they have heard that sounds like that.

3. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    I am going to have to find a quiet place to be alone and collect my thoughts.

4. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Holy ****E!!!!

5. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    LOL I do remember it sounding better than that in person... ;) The video loses the smooth purr as the throttle increases at lower rpm, transferring to a metallic trumpeting before the banshee wail at full throttle and max revs. Somewhere in there you can hear a piece of sheet metal being torn in half by a lightening bolt. We'll work on a proper representation. I told goth that it reminds more of a sport motorcycle exhaust (think Ducati or something really dangerous), but of course much much more potent.

6. nizam

nizam Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 9, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Ni Zam
    I'm not local, but I would like to go to a Cars and Coffee in Irvine so make an announcement (or PM me) and I'll make an effort to come down (from NorCal).

O M G

That's fantabulous. I've got to see this thing in person.

7. James-NZ

James-NZ F1 Veteran

Jun 26, 2007
    Hamilton, NewZealand
    Full Name:
    James
    Oz man, I love your car! Great video, makes me want to do a late night run to some tunnels and video the trip. She sounds super hot. Was the a cackle on over run I heard?

Well done on the video too brother, I would love to make something like that of my car.

8. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I gotta say something is lost in the video. The video is like just seeing a picture of a pretty girl. It is so much more in person. It is just the best sounding 355 I have heard.

9. Loser

Loser Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2008
    Gilroy, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Maybe we should have a NorCal pilgrimage to worship the new God!

10. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    The city that rhymes with fun in Canada
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    OMG OMG OMG

Don't take this the wrong way but I got a chubby listening to that...:eek:.... WOW how intoxicating.....

11. PizzaPrince

PizzaPrince Karting

May 11, 2007
    New York
    Full Name:
    Giovanni
    Goth.......... truly music to anyone's ears........Bravo brother, you are without a doubt gifted.

12. darrenliu

darrenliu Formula Junior

Jun 24, 2008
    Melbourne Australia
    Full Name:
    Darren Liu
    Goth

is 'gothspeed' short for 'got the speed'?

Your exhaust system sounds awesome. I have a couple of questions:

There's no bypass valves at all, not even 360/430 style. This means your system may be a bit noisey when cruising. Any comment?
    Also, did you design the muffler and internal baffling? Does it meet your states noise regs? Probably not!
    What about the cat bypass ecu and thermocouple? How did you deal with this?

Thanks

Darren Liu

13. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    Well done Oz, hats off to you for the effort!

14. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005
    Now THAT's what I'm talking about!

Sounds great!

15. f355jimv

f355jimv Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2008
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Hey Goth.... We can hear you down in Orange County.

Nice........

16. johnny boy

johnny boy Rookie

Apr 23, 2009
    Try Nouvalari Eng Ltd they do a lightweight Sports exhaust and a Super sports and they sound mind blowing 00 44 115 9386115 or mobile 07784689418

17. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Hey buddy...DON'T you have some work to complete???...lol

MAY 1....its' got to be purring

18. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!!!!

19. zero

zero Guest

Apr 24, 2007
    AH,are we talking about that place in Wattnal in Notts? I know that place, its near me. Anyway we as owners never fall short of offers for exhaust systems.
    Its just that Goth actually owns a F355 so he knows what standards, sounds and quality we expect, thus did this set up with a labour of love;) But thanks anyway.

20. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    #70 ernie, Apr 23, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
    Nope not noisy at all.

Like I said the, after we finished putting it in the first day I followed Ozzy to listen to it. I asked him to get up to speed then put it in 5th. We where just cruising at around 45 mph, it sounded quite mellow. It's the X design in the muffler. The cross pulses balance out the air flow from each bank, and thus the exhaust isn't very loud until he mashes the loud peddle down. Sitting at idling it is louder and deeper than stock, but while driving nothing over bearing.

21. notbostrom

notbostrom Formula Junior

May 8, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    Ben
    goth,

would you have any photos of the inside of the stock 348 spider muffler?

22. cavlino

cavlino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2002
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Carm Scaffidi
    Bruce the distraction was my fault, sorry about that. I asked Dave to look at this thread since I thought he may have missed it.

23. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    #73 f355spider, Apr 23, 2009
    Goth,
    looks and sounds awesome!

1) How do you spoof the 5.2 Motronic to not throw a "check engine" light with the bypass valve removed?

2) Are these oem 360 manifolds any different than the regular 360 manifolds? I ask because there are starting to be some threads of 360 manifold failures.

24. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    #74 gothspeed, Apr 23, 2009
    Thank you guys for all the good words and encouragement :)!!!! It is really nice to have such a great group to share projects with :D!!! This system was made because as we all know the factory 355 setup could use some improvement to say the least. I used larger tubing to complement the larger 360/CS collector, located the o2 bungs on the larger diameter of the high-flow metallic cats (same position as factory 355) to maintain cross-sectional flow area throughout the exhaust path. The dyno will be next ............ but I can definitely say ......... I notice a considerable 'seat of the pants' acceleration improvement ......... :D!! The throttle response is also hugely improved ............ as soon as the pedal is pressed the power is there!! Now I cannot wait until I get my hi-flow air boxes done ................. :eek:!!!!

This exhaust is comparable in loudness as the standard capristo level 1 I had on there a while back .......... actually from inside the car at 'normal' revs it seems very similar ......... Vince and I will be getting a lot more video covering a larger spectrum of its sound dynamics at the 'first annual stooge fest and BBQ' this coming saturday ....... :)!!! We will try to get a clip as zero specified too ...... ;)!

The by-pass thermocouple is not used on the standard capristo either ........... I just rolled it neatly and zip tied it off to the side ......... leaving its respective ECU wire connections untouched .................................. the by-pass thermocouple is there to monitor excessive heat from the upper cats and will throw a CEL in the event the by-pass valve itself is 'stuck open' ............... so absolutely no CEL with the gothspeed monster flow exhaust :) .................... anyone can test or validate this by removing the thermocouple from the by-pass location on their muffler, capping the bung ........ and driving at full chat until convinced ...... :eek:

Yes I used factory 360/CS manifolds ......... and I have heard examples of 355, 360, 430, 500 exhaust manifolds going bad .......... but since my factory manifolds were holding up just fine with no 'visual' evidence of unusual heat or any physical leaks ............... I have confidence these will last me a while ........... I especially like the factory shielding and the 4-2-1 merge design of these manifolds, which helps keep mid-range power ....... :)!!! If these ever go bad it will be time to either get some fabspeed 360 headers or make myself a set of monster 'stepped' 4-2-1 headers ........ :D ............. but for now we can dyno the difference with just this exhaust change ........... :cool:

25. zero

zero Guest

Apr 24, 2007
    Sorry fell asleep while reading all that, will try again in the morning;)