gothspeed's new 355 monster flow exhaust is completed!!! by-pass valve is history!!!! | Page 6 | FerrariChat

gothspeed's new 355 monster flow exhaust is completed!!! by-pass valve is history!!!!

Discussion in '348/355' started by gothspeed, Apr 21, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. davey_jones

davey_jones Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2002
    wherever it's sunny
    Full Name:
    Dave
    You guys better do some videos too! I've been sitting here all week waiting.
    LOL - Never even left my computer... I just keep hitting "refresh"...

2. JSBMD

JSBMD Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2007
    The OC
    Full Name:
    John
    A month ago was "supercar sunday" at c&c, because there was a 288GTO, F40, F50, and an Enzo. Maybe this will be "Fratelli sunday" since it sounds as if quite a few of us will be showing up with our cars. Looking forward to that!

If it does rain the turnout is dismal, so probably not worth bothering, but the forecast I looked at does not show rain down here in south OC, so hopefully it will be dry! We only need 2 hours of sun.

See you guys there,

John

PS: For anyone who doesn't go to cars & coffee often (or ever), get there by 7:15 latest as sometimes too crowded to find a good spot. No real "screening" goes on as far as who can/cannot bring their car into the lot, so sometimes full of a lot of ordinary stuff. It would be cool to see a row of 355/348's, rather than to have to scatter out throughout the lot because too many Corvettes or ricers.

3. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    agreed .......... if there is rain I don't think I will show up either ........ I don't want to break my wheels loose on every shift, then end up in the weeds .............. ;)

..... awesome ....... :D

Now I am confused .............. is the Irvine CA C&C on Saturday or Sunday ..... :confused:?

4. JSBMD

JSBMD Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2007
    The OC
    Full Name:
    John
    Oops! My mistake. Cars & Coffee is most definitely SATURDAYS. For anyone else confused, it is held (almost) every Saturday morning at the parking lot of Ford HQ in Irvine, very near to the Spectrum shopping center, from 7 am to 9 am. Very informal, anyone invited, which is both good and bad. "Drivers", like my 355, are welcome, as it is no concours, but there are also concours-level cars there. Can also be cars which, to my biased taste, do not warrant "showing" at cars & coffee. Usually 20-30 Ferraris, 20 or so Lambos, lots of Porsches (often interesting stuff like 959's or C-GT's), etc. Usually worth going to; I would go more often but for the early hour, but definitely worth attending as often as I can get up in time on Saturday mornings.

Again, sorry for the slip, hope this didn't mess anyone up. DEFINITELY SATURDAY morning. Also worth repeating: if we want to park together, best to show up by 7:15, as lot usually starts getting crowded by that time. Remember to enter the "exit" side of the lot entrance to avoid the speed bump!

John

5. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    I'll be there too showing off the other gothspeed products, like any of you 355 hair gel-ists care. :p Seriously it is gothday at C&C! I look forward to seeking the fratelli there.

Cya there!

6. JSBMD

JSBMD Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2007
    The OC
    Full Name:
    John
    So, went to cars & coffee this morning, and met Goth and Vince V. Great guys, very nice cars! May be premature (don't know if they are ready to start marketing the new exhaust yet) but I gotta say... WOW! Probably slightly louder at low revs (though certainly not offensive), but when the revs come up, what a transformation! It no longer sounds like a street car, but has a snarly, raspy, cracklly sound to it, both the 348 and 355 systems. I was truly impressed with the menacing sound of the 348, because I never thought they had quite the aural impact of the 355 exhaust. However, as I have a 355 myself, and Goth's car sat next to mine, we raised the hoods and did a side by side comparison, and all I can say is how beautiful it all looks! Noticably larger-diameter tubing must equal less backpressure. My car has Fabspeed headers & 200 cell cats, but stock muffler.

After c & c, I followed the boys onto the freeway for a few miles, and that was the true Pepsi challenge. My car is quite a bit quieter and "silkier" sounding, getting onto the freeway and up to speed. The Goth-Exhausted cars, on the other hand, sounded meaner, for lack of a better word. Real, true F1 sound, IMO. Not "close to", not "like", but real F1 sound...raspy, crackling, screaming F1 sound. Goth might even have been pulling away from me as we were playing a little, once up to speed (at least I was flooring it, he may have had some more to give it)! Tellingly, as we were side-by-side, and both downshifted and gunned it, I could hear his F1 scream OVER the sound of my "sorta F1 like" exhaust sound. Nice.

The boys said they were heading out to the dyno today. Will be interesting to see the impact of that exhaust. Based on the distinct impression I had that he was pulling away from me while I was flooring it at 6000 rpm, I'll bet he is seeing some additional hp. Looking forward to the results of that. Until then, all I can say is well done, boys! If/when I finally come into the market for a new exhaust, I know which one I'm interested in.

John

7. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    #132 vvassallo, May 2, 2009
    Last edited: May 2, 2009
    Good meeting you too, John. It was an interesting morning compared to others - less people, but I met another nero Serie Speciale! How cool is that?! No. 33 is a TB and has some fun mods - Brembo oversized brakes, cat bypass, Norbert exhaust (I think).

Yep these cars are seriously fun at WOT. I was amazed myself when goth passed me on the freeway at fulll throttle and took the revs so high I thought the engine was going to blow! Sounded exactly like F1. Although there are similariities, the 355 version has a better smoother kind of a high pitch scream/wail, oil burning serf kind of banshee cry. :)

Did some dyno runs and goth is digesting the data. There was a problem with the rpm pickup for the 355; it worked fine with the 348. There are gains, to be sure, but it's hard to determine just how much and where right now.

I sure hope goth offers them for our 355 bretheren in some form or another (the headers seem to be open to preference). Personally, I hate to see them get around. ;) I would like to keep my distinction of being the only 348 in CA mounting one of these biyotches!

8. 330GT2+2

330GT2+2 Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2005
    Texas
    Full Name:
    330gt2+2
    you Cali boys have all the fun....I'm transfering Goths exhaust sound to a cassette I can play while in the Boxer.....gotta get that sound!! Please, someone buy my Hemi GTX- a #1 over-restored beautiful example...http://inventory.bestofshowautomotive.com/CarDetails.asp?VIN=CN10148 then I can be a 355 guy too!!

meanwhile, back at the ranch....playing youtube recordings of 348's and 355's---how do you guy's keep from blowing them up?? 8,000 and climbing...whoa nellie!

9. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    While there is no doubt that these are the best 2 sounding systems I have heard I wonder if there are still more issues. I think the 348 gothzilla treatment is pretty straight forward because the 348 is pretty basic in exhaust design and the typical bigger is better less backpressure etc etc works just like it does on vettes. But Why did ferrari go to the trouble of making the 355 bypass? Certainly they did not want more weight and noise police where not that strong back then. Was there a mid range rpm vs. hp issue that was made better by the bypass for example? We know that the 355 has valve guide eating reversion issues from the bypass and unique engine dynamics. Is that made worse or better by deleting the bypass? People will point to 355C with bypass delete as being ok to run but race motors run 90% of the time at rpm extremes so running without a bypass may be beneficial. In later cars with bypass in the muffler it has been confirmed that this was because of sound police not performance. So I see how deleting it with say tubis makes sence. Is 355's upstream bypass is a different animal than bypass in a can? Is going backward to basically a 348 design really an improvement or an old school solution? I'm not saying its good or bad certainly there is some huge good which is the amazing sound but we still need to make sure that new amazing gothsound is not at the expense of anything other than dollars.

10. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    I think the whole bypass thing was a phase. It sounded like exotic tuning at the time and maybe it delivered something at low rpms. Personally the only reason I think the factory does it now is to make the car sound more like a Ferrari, that is for exhaust note over performance enhancement. This was, in fact the reason why Mitsubishi had a bypass system on theri 3000GT VR4; the sales literature even said so. Then BWM started doing it on their 3 series cars, and still do, but it's at the tail pipe as on the 430's. They probably get more performance tuning from unequal length intake runners anyway. Just a thought.

11. 330GT2+2

330GT2+2 Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2005
    Texas
    Full Name:
    330gt2+2
    tons of info on the "bypass valve" thread....geesh, these 355's are just too complicated!! but, as simple as my 330 is, just can't come close to the V8 sound!

12. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Neither.

The goth exhaust has a x-pipe which none of the Ferrari mufflers have. Completely different animal. Besides the 360 and the 430 don't have a bypass valve in the middle of the muffler.

I just spoke to Oz a little while ago, the to the wheels dyno results are nice and respectable. So not only does it sound WAAAAAAY better, there is also more power. How much? I'll let Ozzy fill you guys in on that one.

13. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    To bad so sad Vicente. Mine will be the next 348 sporting one of these bad boys. :D

I'm gonna have to strap my car to the dyno for a base line run before Ozzy finishes mine. It will be interesting to see what gains I get because I have the old twin can muffler setup.

14. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Huh? "X"-pipe? There was no "X" pipe it went header, cat, 2 inlet muffler.

Very cool on the dyno results...He called me a while ago so that is what it must have been about. I got tied up on, of course, another project. It's late now hope he posts it up soon or I'll call him back Sunday.

15. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Awesome Ernie...Then you will have something on your Ferrari that does not break!!!!!

16. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I agree with you. I think the 355 bypass was not the same thing as the bypasses we see today. I think the 355 bypass was intended to be a "performance" bypass and the thing we see today "bypass in a can" is for sound like on the 550's Mitsu's etc.... Don't forget that Ferrari has to deal with all kinds of government which dictates how they can perform. Ferrari is trying to gain max performance at "X" pricepoint, with "Y" rules and perhaps the 355 bypass was part of that. The DIY'ER only has to fool the smog guy everyother year, and it is hard for the sound police to find just the one car etc....

17. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    #142 gothspeed, May 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Ok here are some numbers ...... though because I did not get my new heat-shield done, I believe there could be another couple RWHP hiding in there ..... :eek: .......... during today's test my air boxes were very hot, because the new cat location is just under the front of the air boxes and yes the boxes were hotter than before the new exhaust. The new heat-shield will be done in the next few days and that should take care of that heat issue :).

FBB ...... the owners manual and a few other sources plainly say the by-pass valves primary reason for existence is to create a 'less restrictive' exhaust path. It is possible early ceramic primary cats were not conducive to the flows they needed for the 355 at full throttle? ......... either way the factory felt they needed a 'less restrictive' exhaust.
    http://www.scuderiasystems.com/prod-special-tubi355evo.html
    So think of my new exhaust as essentially a very free flowing example of the stock 355's primary exhaust path ................. no by-pass is needed, because the freer, 'less restrictive' path is 'built into and part of' the new exhaust ...... :).

Additional note: ....... knowing how CEL prone the 355's 5.2 motronic is ........ if it did not like the new exhaust arrangement ......... believe me ...... it would have let me know immediately ............... so far well over 200 miles with the new exhaust and still no CEL ............. and yes my CEL light works very well ............... ;) :D

Now a quick explanation of the following charts ........ some runs in the past were done in 3rd gear and some in 4th ......... so I tried to create a a link back to the stock exhaust (3rd gear)........... and to get there I had to use runs of when I had my standard Capristo, of which I luckily had runs in 3rd and 4th gears ........ to link today's 4th gear runs ................... so deductively the new exhaust is a tad over 14 RWHP from stock w/hyper-flows and it also showed fantastic mid-range power gains (last chart) ...... and that was with the super heated air boxes ........ :eek:

C&C was awesome .... not too hot or cold and it was great to meet fellow 355 owner and f-chatter John (JSBMD). It very nice to meet you and thank you for the good words :D!!!!!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. CRAIGF355

CRAIGF355 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    CRAIG ANDERSON
    Not bad for a home made system that sounds like a freak of nature.

19. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Very nice dyno charts! Nice to know it's not all for nothing, eh? Now if only we could find that extra 30 ponies for the 348 that Enzo left lying on the factory shop... ;)

Personally I would be happy with 100 Hp per liter, or 340. I am sure I can find a dyno that will give me this, but I'd like to do it on our finicky contraption.

20. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    #145 gothspeed, May 2, 2009
    Last edited: May 2, 2009
    Yes indeed :) .......... even though the air boxes were getting too much heat from the cats .......... we still manged to do fairly well ........ translating the 14+ RWHP gains would be well over 20 HP to the flywheel!!! Heck I think those mid range power gains were even better ....... which I could definitely feel when shifting ....... then when I get my new heat-shield done, I will also be bringing on board my new air box tops ......... collectively all that will put the almighty 355 well into the 400+ crank HP range ...... along with a great sound, 40lbs less weight and no CEL :D!!!

21. davey_jones

davey_jones Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2002
    wherever it's sunny
    Full Name:
    Dave
    WHERES'S THE VIDS!!!!!!!! SHEESH!!!

Speaking of HP gains... Anyone know how to calculate the approx "hp gain" per 1LB reduction of weight?
    If GOTH also pulled say 100lbs excess weight from the car (no more fried chicken!) what would the equiv effect be?
    ... or maybe I'm talking power to weight ratio here..

22. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Well here is a rough guess using 3rd grade racer math and racer mentality: 355 = 3200lbs hp=308 rwhp

weight hp lb/hp relative hp net
    3200 308 10.39 308
    3100 308 10.06 318 10hp/100lbs weight loss
    3000 308 9.74 328.6 20.5hp
    2900 308 9.42 340 32hp

3160 308 10.26 312 4 hp/40lb exhaust weight

So roughly you get about 10hp/100lb weight reduction. also realize colin chapman of lotus fame proved there are more than just hp gains from weight reduction. I'll take eight reduction over HP any day of the week. Looking at the 355 and the goth conversion there are still many many pounds that can be removed but we are talking streetcars here.

So how did goth get 14hp with his mod? I don't know. Well my dummy math says 307.95-289.29=18.66hp 307.95-299.98=7.97hp but I ain't so good at reading graphs.

By the way are there any torque curve graphs?????????? Usually you see torque over Hp on the dyno sheets.

23. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    #148 gothspeed, May 3, 2009
    Last edited: May 3, 2009
    So far the sound vid is on post #44 :) http://www.metacafe.com/watch/2729518/custom_ferrari_355_exhaust_by_gothspeed/ ....... the sound is far more 'dynamic' in person ....... from outside the car at idle, it is about 30% louder than stock with a very smooth growl on mild revs. It then gets about 50% louder than stock at higher revs with maniacal F1 wail that is befitting the near legendary status of the great looking 355 .......... :D ................ simply put the new sounds match the 355 in every way ........ :cool:

How I got to 14+ RWHP was adding the deltas between the two charts, because there was a difference with the Capristo in different gears, I only compared 'like' gears ......... which was my only link back to stock (all stock runs were done in 3rd) ....... :eek:

1. stock muffler w/hyper-flow cats vs standard Capristo w/hyper-flow cats ............... + 6.29 RWHP for the Capristo at peak RPM.

2. standard Capristo w/hyper-flow cats vs gothspeed 'full system' w/360-CS 4-2-1 manifolds ......... + 7.97 RWHP for the new gothspeed system with much bigger gains throughout the entire mid range.

+ 7.97
    -----------
    14.26 ...... ;)

Note: the new gothspeed exhaust results were with extremely hot air boxes (because of the new cat location) ....... so with the addition of the new heat shield(s) ....... I would say at least another couple RWHP is certainly on tap .......... :) .............

24. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    #149 ernie, May 3, 2009
    Last edited: May 3, 2009
    In reality Ozzy is actually making 18+/rwhp more than a 355 with stock headers, stock muffler, stock bypass, and the only mod being hyperflows. That is a VERY nice improvement over stock with "home made bolt-ons".

Then Ozzy's setup even beat a Cappy with Hypers by just short of 8/hp to the WHEELS people!

No more bypass valve
    Less weight
    Cats in place to help keep our air "clean", and running BOTH O2 sensors
    F1 exhaust wail at full throttle
    More power
    More torque
    Dyno graphs proving the gains

What is not to like about this setup???? The only thing I can think of is .......... you don't have one on your 355.

25. Lagerlout

Lagerlout Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2006
    West Sussex, UK
    Full Name:
    Mr. LL
    Capristo claims +20hp for it's "new" bypass-less system, I gather you're refering to the "old" capristo?