GPS Trackers/LoJack etc type devices | FerrariChat

GPS Trackers/LoJack etc type devices

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by MiamiScudLover, Jun 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MiamiScudLover

Jan 21, 2020
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Hope everyone is well. Quick question. I have a 430 Scuderia and a couple other vehicles I always park in a locked garage but have been thinking about adding a tracking device in the event they were stolen somehow. Does anyone have any recommendations or experience? Thanks I’m advance!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. EnzoItaly

EnzoItaly Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2016
    I have the same question: looking for a tracker (though in Western Europe)... which system and/or brand and/or companies would you recommend and why? For example is a long standby time important? Are alle of them relying on GPS? Can they be easily removed by thieves?

3. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I installed: https://amcrest.com/am-gl300w-4g-real-time-gps-tracker-with-ip67-waterproof-magnetic-case-am-gl300w-4g-am-gl-hm3g-v3.html
    I purchased a 12v to 5v adapter from Amazon. It has low voltage protection at 11.6 v. If battery drops below 11.6, it stops power to GPS battery. Note, the GPS has a battery good for 2 weeks, when fully charged. The GPS will let you know when power is getting low. I signed up with Amcrest GPS for 1 minute updates. Even if someone kills the battery, the GPS still has power for 2 weeks.Works great.
    The GPS can get location from Cell towers and GPS. Usually from cell towers.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. The Red Baron

The Red Baron Formula 3

Jan 3, 2005
    Full Name:
    Warren
    Anybody purchase a unit that does not have to go through a third party.
    It will give you the position etc directly.

5. vamcclellan

vamcclellan Rookie

Jun 13, 2022
    California
    Full Name:
    Victor Andrew McClellan
    Hi, I am a former senior installation technician for LoJack with 14 years experience.

To my knowledge I am the only person to install a LoJack Stolen Vehicle Recovery System in a Ferrari Enzo.

It is not GPS based but works on radio frequency. It is ultra low frequency and from personal experience I was able to track a unit from 4 levels underground, it was parked behind a metal dumpster.

I do not know of a system that performs as well as LoJack.

I'm happy to answer any questions.

Texas Forever and JDZNate like this.
  6. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    Try the old iPhone GPS idea..

7. vamcclellan

vamcclellan Rookie

Jun 13, 2022
    California
    Full Name:
    Victor Andrew McClellan
    I've dealt with that issue before. Break off the car's antenna and the GPS fails.

8. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    please point out the antenna

9. vamcclellan

vamcclellan Rookie

Jun 13, 2022
    California
    Full Name:
    Victor Andrew McClellan
    Are you talking LoJack or GPS? GPS needs a clear line of sight to the sky. LoJack does not. Also, GPS will not connect inside a building(no line of site).

10. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    In Europe we have Coyote (ex Traqueur). Equipment + Installation was about 1200 euros. you can pay a subscription that gives you access to some support in case of theft I believe. But you can still see the car location without the subscription so why bother.

11. vamcclellan

vamcclellan Rookie

Jun 13, 2022
    California
    Full Name:
    Victor Andrew McClellan
    I see. There is more than one service out there but when I started with LoJack in 1994 I haven't seen one more effective.

Out here we had/have Teletrac. Works with you cell phone. However, if you car goes out of cell range you are out of luck.
    Don't know the exchange rate but here a LoJack systems is $699 one time payment and nothing more.

12. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I didn't know LoJack was still around. Years ago I used to see police cars with the 4 antennas, but I haven't seen those in a long time. Do they use something else now?

13. vamcclellan

vamcclellan Rookie

Jun 13, 2022
    California
    Full Name:
    Victor Andrew McClellan
    Yes they are still around. The company was bought by CalAmp but it google LoJack you will still see their presence.

Patrol cars still have their antennas but the main issue is officers change cars very often so training has lagged which is stupid. It's probably the easiest system to operate.

I left the company 5 years ago.