Grand Prix SSR photos? | FerrariChat

Grand Prix SSR photos?

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by Gatorrari, Oct 17, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Does anyone have any photos of what the building at Grand Prix SSR, the one-time Ferrari dealer in Setauket, NY, looked like?

As far as I can tell, there is an Apple Bank on approximately that location now. Can someone confirm that? If not, what is on the site?

2. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    So no one ever took a photo of the place??

3. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I can't confirm what is in there now but the building is still there. What a great piece of the Ferrari story that place was! I have to check some old Cavallinos to see if there were any photos of the exterior. I remember seeing interior shots of the engine shop and the metal working shop in Cavallino but it will take some digging.

4. coulthardsfriend

Aug 13, 2007
    Long Island,NY
    Full Name:
    Nick L.
    I was good friends with Chuck and Pat but no pics-been there many times and in Setauket/Stony Brook as well

5. coulthardsfriend

Aug 13, 2007
    Long Island,NY
    Full Name:
    Nick L.
    I have some engine shots of my e type rebuild but no outside photos-I rem the Oscas and the WW2 Mercedes that belonged to Mr. McAlister and the Testa Rossa as well-I knew Chuck and Pat and Neville quite well back then but haven't been in touch-Gosh I miss them

6. Unclehotrod13

Unclehotrod13 Rookie

Jul 1, 2016
    Long island ny
    Full Name:
    Santo farina
    I had worked there from 1978 to mid 80's.. i posted pix online, google unclehotrod13 and look under google+ or you tube..mostly pix of the parking lot of cars, and race cars , as i was on the race team with Ted Wenz, also see the forst Ferrari we restored, #002

coulthardsfriend likes this.
  7. Alex308qv

Alex308qv Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    PA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I don't have pictures, but have a question about Grand Prix SSR. My '85 308 was sold by them. I know they closed doors arounf '92, but does anyone know if they were "bought out" by another dealer? I want to try to track down original dealer documentation for my car, and hope there's some chance the documents reside with another dealer.

8. Jim Keogh

Jim Keogh Rookie

Mar 28, 2017
    I also worked for Grand Prix SSR as an engine builder in Ted Wenz's engine shop. There are no pictures of the building. I also miss the place. We had a great time working there and worked on some fantastic marques - especially Ferrari 002C under Stan Nowak's guidance.

tuttebenne likes this.
  9. Robert Gross

Robert Gross Rookie

Apr 1, 2019
    Port Jefferson, New York
    Full Name:
    Robert Gross
    I live very near by. It is not the Apple bank and the building is still there but has been cut up into office suites - sad.
    I put a 2K deposit down with Al Mayer (maybe misspelled) for a 246GT that never got put back together before I found one in Syracuse NY. and got a refund...- go figure.
    I had heard that before this location it was just west behind or was what became the Park Bench right across from SUNY Stony Brook.

I'll see what I can dig up and take a few shots of the building that still exists.

10. Robert Gross

Robert Gross Rookie

Apr 1, 2019
    Port Jefferson, New York
    Full Name:
    Robert Gross
    I checked unclehotrod13 and there are zillions of pix but I don't easily any of Grand Prix SSR.
    If you have some please post.
    Thank you

11. Alex308qv

Alex308qv Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    PA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    FChatter "tuttebenne" posted a photos link on 7/7/16 in the thread "Pix of Grand Prix SSR," but that link has long been inactive. I sent a PM to tuttebenne a few years ago asking if he could kindly upload his photos direct to FChat. If someone who knows tuttebenne personally can make the request for us, it would be greatly appreciated. (My 308 was sold by Grand Prix SSR in 1985.)

12. Alex308qv

Alex308qv Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    PA
    Full Name:
    Alex
  13. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    #13 tuttebenne, May 2, 2020
    Last edited: May 2, 2020
    Those are the shots. I didn't have the photos - they came from Unclehotrod13. I ran into him in an AutoZone up near Ridge over the fall. He is still around. Those of a certain age might remember the 50s hit song "Sleepwalk" by Santo and Johnny. Well Santo is Unclehotrod13's Dad - a big Lincoln collector. If you contacted Ted Wenz he might have some shots of the building in the old days.

pchop, 375+, Alex308qv and 1 other person like this.
  14. Alex308qv

Alex308qv Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    PA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Might remember? Everyone knows that instrumental, a quintessential "earworm" melody! To be fair, I did not know its name, but once played recognized it instantly, given its use in commercials and movies and its many covers. Thanks for sharing this connection between Santo & Johnny and Grand Prix SSR.

15. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Al Meyer had a shop(sales) in Glen Cove or Sea Cliff circa 1980.

mcimino likes this.
  16. coulthardsfriend

Aug 13, 2007
    Long Island,NY
    Full Name:
    Nick L.
    I knew Chuck and Pat from Miller Place before Grand Prix SSR became a Ferrari dealer I just have a pic of Chuck Nesbitt at Watkins Glenn in Mr McAlisters Testa Rossa
    Image Unavailable, Please Login