GranSport vs. GranTurismo S | Page 3 | FerrariChat

GranSport vs. GranTurismo S

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by rob lay, Jul 11, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Derek at FoD

Derek at FoD Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Derek Fennig
    No I haven't. I caution people from ordering red alcantara for just that reason. One of the two cars they had available to drive had a beige interior with alcantara and it too is a color I would caution against ordering (a lot of premature wear)

2. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Thanks for the heads up.

3. Derek at FoD

Derek at FoD Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Derek Fennig
    You are welcome :)

4. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay

6. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
  7. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    double ouch!

8. jakermc

jakermc Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 17, 2004
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I read your post and I only found 2 issues that you reported: 1)Broken brake pedal switch and 2) wavy sills.
    You mentioned other issues but they were human errors by the dealer and not related to build quality.

Did I miss something? A couple of issues on a single car is hardly an inidication of a reliability issue.

9. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    #59 wbaeumer, Jul 30, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Last Friday I had the opportunity to drive the Gran Turismo flat out on the German Autobahn.

WHAT A FANTASTIC SOUND the car has in the "Sport"-program!!!!!!!

I found the car very well balanced and now the brakes are much better than with the standart version. Also the electric gearshift-system is easy and very good in the "Sport"-modus although I found it quite nervous in the standart program.

Unfortunately I had to brake due to traffic when I took this pic!

Ciao!
    Walter
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
  11. Derek at FoD

Derek at FoD Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Derek Fennig
    Now THAT is traveling in style!!! :)

12. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
  13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #63 rob lay, Aug 6, 2008
    We had a FerrariChat.com lunch today and coming out there was a black GranTurismo. I've been looking for an opportunity like this to compare a black GranSport vs. GranTurismo, although really looking for an S to be fair. Great looking car, I consider the GranSport large compared to car's of the 80's and 90's (I confirmed last night when hand washing :)), the GranTurismo is HUGE! Side by side I like the GT's low hood line, faux(?) side air outlets, shapely door window frames, and taillight shape. You see the popular 90's "bar of soap" shape in the GranSport where the GranTurismo shows better curves with the flatter hood and trunk. Great GT car, but think we have confirmation the GranSport is Maserati's last sports car.

14. wjaznyc

wjaznyc Rookie

Apr 10, 2006
    #64 wjaznyc, Aug 6, 2008
  15. maranello71

maranello71 Formula 3

Jan 23, 2004
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Andre
    +1

I have driven both the GT-S (as of this week, see my separate thread) and the 612. IMHO the GT-S is far more beautiful than the 612, while offering the same level of practicality as a "family supercar". I just can't get tired of looking at the gorgeous lines of the GT-S, and I can't say the same about the 612.

Performance wise, the 612 is marginally faster than the GT-S, but the MC-shift gearbox more than compensates for any deficiency in the real world, and handling-wise (I've driven these cars on challenging mountain roads) the GT-S can KILL a 612. Actually, a 360 struggles against the GT-S big time (as I've witnessed myself). You need an F430 to stay clearly ahead of the GT-S: it's probably one of the best handling front-engined 4-seaters ever.

And someone from Maserati revealed to me that the engine "could take much more" than 440 HP but they "weren't allowed" to do it. For me this means that at the first service I'd download the "proper" software... and with 460-470 HP on tap, there will be no contestants to the GT-S.

16. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Nice photos! IMO the Gran Turismo is one of the very rare GT-Maserati that likes the red color!

Ciao!
    Walter

17. GregD

GregD Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Since the Coupe came out, I think all the Maserati models have been de-tuned here and there to keep them from competing with ferrari #s.

I wish a few program changes could substantially increase performance, but it's not that easy.

18. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I know I am very much in the minority here...but....when I look at that picture of both GT and GS, black, from the front 1/4 angle....the GS is the nicer looking car to me. More exciting, sportier, and less "contrived." This may sound crazy, but the GT almost looks like that is the way an "Italian GT should look" so it does. Don't get me wrong I adore the lines, but the GS looks more "real." I have a similar feeling with Jaguar XKs (I am in no way comparing Maserati to Jag). The new XK looks like what Ian Callum was told to make it look to be attractive and sell (you can see them in the board room..."Ian, make this one sell, our company is on the line."), whereas the older XK looks like a "Jag."
    Does this make sense?

19. maranello71

maranello71 Formula 3

Jan 23, 2004
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Andre
    It is very easy. Try Modena Tec, this German company exports its kits to the USA as well. For a few thousand Euros they extract 432 HP out of the Gransport or QP. The modifications regard the engine mapping, valve timing profiles and exhaust resonance.

I am waiting to see what they will do for the 4.7 litre, I expect no less than 460 HP.

And these Germans are serious - usually they deliver what they promise. That's why they declare "432HP" rather than go for a more glamourous 440HP, for example. Check out their website, www.modena-tec.com

20. GregD

GregD Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #70 GregD, Aug 8, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2008
    Interesting site Andre. It would be nice to test an example of their work. I think I've seen the video of their supercharged coupe.

The aftermarket co's in the US, that I have inquired, are pushing items that provide minimal if any improvement.

I would be interested in the details of the Modified engine management & the Modified valve timing they mention.

21. maranello71

maranello71 Formula 3

Jan 23, 2004
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Andre
    You can send an email to their contact address. The owner, Mr. Ebersoldt, is an enthusiast and he speaks good English. He'll tell you everything you need to know.

I'll be moving to Chicago next week, I intend to buy an Italian exotic as soon as possible and I will need 4 seats... so a Maserati is definitely a possibility for me. Perhaps we could make a Ferrarichat "group order" of Modena Tec's kits, and Mr. Ebersoldt will give us a discount.

Are you thinking of a Granturismo S for yourself? I have looked all over the Internet but I can't find a single one in the USA. Is there a long waiting list?

22. GregD

GregD Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #72 GregD, Aug 12, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2008

I have the 2004 coupe and have used the back seats 3-4 times in 4 years. However, future models are always a possibility. At this time, I am waiting to see if Maserati will evolve further and offer a more sport orientated model like the Gransport. My opinion is the Quattroporte and GranTurismo models are directed more toward the mercedes and bentley driver/daily but Maserati offers a refined exotic. As Rob said, the Gransport was the last sports car.

I may be interested in some type of kit, but have not had much luck with aftermarket enhancements, except the tubi. So, I approach slowly and with caution.

I would wait and go with the GranTurismo S. If you end up on a list, waiting for next year's model, you may get an additional boost in hp or some other enhancement. Each year Maserati refines the models they present.

I'd get ahold of all the literature available from the dealer, so you can meticulously choose from the many options available and create your own work of art.

23. maranello71

maranello71 Formula 3

Jan 23, 2004
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Andre
    I have noticed all the comments stating that the Gransport is the last "sportscar" from Maserati.

After having driven the Granturismo S in Europe for 2000 miles this summer, I find myself disagreeing with this statement.

I assure you that the Granturismo S is an epic driving experience that will hit you like a hammer. I always liked the Gransport but I always found it too weak in comparison to my Ferrari 550. The lack of torque and the slower acceleration were very noticeable, despite the excellent handling I always found myself lusting after the Ferrari after a drive in the GS. Not anymore with the Granturismo S. This car still has less torque and less power than a V12 Ferrari, but the difference is less noticeable and the 4.7 V8 is a far more aggressive engine than any previous Maserati V8. The progression of the GT-S in acceleration and its super-sharp handling make it for me the best 4-seater supercar in the market. And the fantastic gearbox more than compensates for the lower torque compared to a Ferrari V12. OK, the 612 is probably a little faster in a straight line, but for pure driving pleasure where the roads get twisty, the GT-S is now for me the benchmark 4-seater. As I can testify, the GT-S can thrash a 360 Modena on a twisty mountain road.

Try it and you'll understand what I mean. I believe that with 470 HP (easily obtainable from the 4.7 engine) the GT-S will have no rivals. It is definitely NOT a Bentley competitor. I see it more as a more practical and refined competitor to the 997 Turbo or to the Aston DB9.

What the GT-S needs is less weight. If they could just shave off a couple hundred kilos (how about using kevlar bonnet and trunk lids, magnesium wheels, carbon brakes and lightening up the interior with carbon seats?) it would outhandle just about any other 4-seater in the world.

24. johnei

johnei Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2006
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    John Wiley
    I agree, I prefer the GS look over the GT even though the newer car will probably sell more. Not to get off topic, but the old Jaguar XK8 was very much the product of focus groups and styling clinics (notably in southern CA) so it too was designed to sell. If you find a current issue of Jaguar Heritage magazine you'll see what some of their other ideas were. Besides, shouldn't all cars be designed to sell in some sense?

25. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Someone else commented on this thread or another the opposite that their GranSport is quicker than their 550, mainly because of the F1. The 550 has more HP and torque and seat of your pants might feel quicker. I would expect the 550 to catch and pull away at the higher speeds. What is the 550's 0-60? I know the GranSport's is 4.7.

The 400 extra lbs. and size of chassis challenges the GranTurismo as a pure sports car, but they nailed it for the sportiest and maybe best GT.

All that said I would rather own and drive a 456, 550, or 612 than any Maserati, but I'm a die hard Ferrari enthusiast.