GranSport vs. GranTurismo S | Page 4 | FerrariChat

GranSport vs. GranTurismo S

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by rob lay, Jul 11, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CPak

CPak Karting

Nov 28, 2006
    S.FLorida
    Full Name:
    Cyrus

comparing a 550 V12 to the V8 in the gransport is like comparing apples and oranges. there are very few, if any, V8's out there that even come close to the gransport's V8. maybe i'm a bit biased :)

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    430, Z06... :)

3. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Rob,
    ...than you have to learn different here! The Gran Turismo S is a real HIT!!! Compared to this car the 612 Scaglietti is ...a truck (I drove the Ferrari today on very twisty roads in the Eifel area near the Nuerburgring. Its fast, yes, but bulky!)

Ciao!
    Walter

4. maranello71

maranello71 Formula 3

Jan 23, 2004
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Andre
    #79 maranello71, Aug 14, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
    I compared apples and oranges because in the real world it is very unlikely that one would be driving on an everyday basis a Ferrari V12... and in my experience it is very frustrating getting every morning into a car that makes you long after the other one sleeping in the garage...

My point is that the Granturismo S is the first real-life, driveable and usable car that hits all the right emotional buttons, and does not make me lust after the V12. And for a V8 to achieve that is quite an amazing feat.

5. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Rob...
    Can you take that picture of the two black GS and GT cars from the front 1/4 angle and post them in a new thread with a poll asking which is the more exciting looking Italian car?
    I'd be interested to see what others think, maybe even post in the general Ferrari section to get more traffic.
    I ask this favor as one GS owner to another!
    I promise I'll get a subscription soon, once I get over the fear of putting my MC number into your system!
    Thanks.
    Rob
    :)

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #81 rob lay, Aug 30, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Jennie and I both did the GranTurismo S test drive today at Boardwalk in Dallas. Not really the time or place to test the handling, but did get somewhat familiar with everything else over a 10 minute drive.

The car looks great in person, but I think that of the GranTurismo too. The S really isn't that big of a visual jump over the regular GranTurismo unlike the GranSport is over the Coupe. Regardless there is no mistaking this car for a Hyundai like the Coupe. This car fits very well into the company of the Aston Martin, 612, Bentley, and other GT's in the 6 digit group.

Interior isn't as sporty compared to the GranSport. GranSport has more carbon and cockpit feel.

Sound of the GranTurismo S is AWESOME! I love the sound of the GranSport and the GranTurismo S is several notches better!

The car is much larger inside and outside, more of a GT car which Maserati wanted, but it is still nimble to drive and Jennie even commented that it steers better at slow speed than the GranSport.

The F1 and other functions are similar to the GranSport although everything has been taken to the next level of computerization. For example the parking brake is now a switch and is deactivated by putting foot on brake. This is also the first Maserati with Bluetooth.

The most noticeable difference in normal driving is smooth and quicker shifts vs. the GranSport. The GranSport is a little bit art getting the correct RPM and lift/no-lift, but the S seemed to shift smooth wherever and however. Again worth mentioning the shifts are so tight and quick.

Hard acceleration is impressive from that torquey engine we've grown to love with Maserati and the 430, but it isn't more noticeably impressive than the GranSport.

I never got a chance to test the handling, but expect the 400 lbs. and larger chassis with only 40 more HP would cause slower lap times than the GranSport, but these aren't meant to be track cars.

So the best way to sum up my opinion after 2 months of GranSport ownership is that I would pick the GranTurismo S everything else equal, but it isn't worth the $60-70k difference in price right now. I expect the S will be $70k in 2011-12 and a ton of car for that amount of money. However, there will be 612's at $100-125k in 2011 and my personal choice will probably be the 612.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Fpassion

Fpassion Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2005
    Rob yourself and magazines included agree the extra 400lbs and only 40 more horsepower does not justify the cost.

The GranSports is an amazing car, sound, visual aesthetics and when it hits 40k it will be a heck of a car for the price of a new Bmw 3 series.

8. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
  9. Niteroi

Niteroi Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Del
    Why didn't you get a 456 instead of your GranSport though? Price is about the same.

10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Good question, I always wanted a 456 and I even looked at a couple this time around. I still maybe would have selected a 456 but after the 612's came out Jennie really liked them. We have a weird mindset that may change, but right now a little goal never to sell a Ferrari. OK to sell a Maserati though and while the 612's depreciate a little more we'll enjoy the GranSport.

11. Fpassion

Fpassion Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2005
    I hearered a new transmission from dealer for the 456 is $56k.lol

12. Niteroi

Niteroi Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Del
    Rob, like you I'm a Ferrari man, never even thought about buying a Maserati. At first I wanted a Ferrari convertible with a back seat to carry my kids. I tried very hard to like the looks of the Mondial but even my kids couldn't. Then I drove one and it didn't help a bit. So I gave up on convertibles, and 456 was the next contender. Couldn't make it work either. Never drove one, but again, the looks couldn't please even my kids. I'd go for the 612 but it was way beyond my means.

So one day I was at a gas station and a GranSport comes in and... I fell for it. And to be honest with you, I like my car more and more everytime I drive it.

I'm adding a few upgrades from Formula Dynamics (www.formuladynamics.com) like Drive-by-wire (to make the F1 trans smoother), performance ECU, hi flow air filter, hi flow exhaust, and stiffer springs, and after that it will be hard to find something worth replacing it with. With all the mods I guess it will end up with around 450hp.

I always thought that the 612 was going to be my next move, but I think it wouldn't be better than my GranSport and I would be disappointed. But I know I'll have a Ferrari at some point, just have to wait until my kids go to college and I can have a 2 seater... ;)

13. Derek at FoD

Derek at FoD Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Derek Fennig
    I know we all have our preferences but there is no way in hell I would ever choose a 612 over Gran Turismo...different strokes for different folks :)

14. maranello71

maranello71 Formula 3

Jan 23, 2004
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Andre
    You know what... the Granturismo S doesn't feel any slower than a 612 in a straight line (it feels like it's pulling 0-100 mph in less than 10s, like the Scag) but it will kill it in the curves. The 612 is a great GT but its enormous wheelbase and heavy V12 up front does it no favors when it comes to handling in tight corners and switchbacks. In this respect the Granturismo S has the perfect chassis. Still too heavy, but beautifully balanced.

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Please let me know how all the mods work out. thanks!

16. ferraripanoz

ferraripanoz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 24, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #91 ferraripanoz, Sep 23, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
    Nice summary! I do agree with the statements about the exterior and the interior, but I think the exhaust is one of the best out there for stock cars in todays market. Shifting on the S is miles ahead of the GrandSport. Do I think it is worth the extra money....no, but if you want a new car and price isn't a real issue I would consider it. As for a 612, I would pass on that, lots of better cars out there for that kind of money. The GranTurismo S would make for a awesome daily driver!

17. Niteroi

Niteroi Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Del
    #92 Niteroi, Sep 24, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I ordered the parts last Friday. They'll probably be here by the end of the week, and the car will go to the shop on the same day!

For now I tinited my taillights but they came out too dark. When the guys placed the film in the sun looked awesome, but when I got home in the shade... it turned black! I'll try a lighter film, I don't like the bright red taillights.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. Ferrari_Michael

Ferrari_Michael Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2006
    Ive owned both cars, admitidly I did not drive the GranSport that much, purly due to the fact when I had it, I had a hell of alot of cars, on the other hand, I now own a GTS, and the F430 is unused, I also have an Aston, unused. The GTS is phenominal, the sound, the interior, the small toutches like the larger shifters, rev indicator on the LCD diaplay, THAT sport button that makes the car howl! Imense! By far my favrouite car at the moment, and I have an alot of cars!

Best
    Michael James

19. adam76

adam76 Karting

Aug 28, 2008
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Adam
    GranTurismo S's are shipping in europe!?!?!

20. Ferrari_Michael

Ferrari_Michael Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2006
    Yes, the ones to special customers are being delivered now, I have had mine for 2 months, I assume that makes me very special :)

Above is a joke, I have indeed had mine for two months, but it is a LHD from the continent, I get my RHD very soon though.

Best
    Michael James

21. MaseratiCorse

MaseratiCorse Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2014
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    7 year thread revival... May the GranSport remain one of the greatest Maser's of all time! :)

22. Frari

Frari Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    brisbane australia
    Full Name:
    tony
    Have had a number of fcars ,gt4,testa,365,360,355 loved them all especially the 355 gts but have to say I love the gransport , the engine is sublime interior great sound good , new exhaust coming handling with live wire suspension good , room great gear box like the 360 good,torque wonderful similar to 360 maybe now I am 5 yrs older I appreciate the easier access but all round it excites me just s much as the others plus I can take a few friends and don't have the niggling conscience of belts breaking or skipping a tooth.

23. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    good thread top. we're still loving the GranSport, but thinking about a GranTurismo S to be more of a daily driver for wife. Although from pictures of the Alfieri we may wait.

24. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    That GranTurismo is big. I hope they drop the weight down a lot on the New Maserati Alfieri.

Also a stick shift would be nice, but they love their paddles to much to do that. I think the last Mas stick shift was made in 2005.

25. MaseratiCorse

MaseratiCorse Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2014
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    Forget the GranTurismo S. If you want a true Maserati, keep the GS! ;)